The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 6, 2013, 03:54 PM   #1
kkb

Florida SB1678: Anger management class need to buy ammo

I'm guessing this is bill submitted to make others seem reasonable, or placate her constituents. In any case the Floridians here might want to send a note to their Senators to oppose it.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1678
Quote:
SB 1678: Firearms

GENERAL BILL by Gibson

Firearms; Requiring a 3-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm; prohibiting the sale of ammunition to a person who has not completed an anger-management program; requiring certification of completion of an anger-management program to be renewed every 10 years; providing criminal penalties, etc.

Last Action: 03/02/2013 Filed

Effective Date: July 1, 2013
ETA: Sister bill in the house - http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1229
Old March 6, 2013, 04:02 PM   #2
CowTowner

Legislation like this just grinds my cookies.
I'm hoping this goes no where quick.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 6, 2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Patriot86

I left Florida in 2007 but I don't remember Jacksonville being a very anti gun place. I could expect this out of Orlando, Gainesville even Miami...but Jacksonville? I hope they wipe the floor with this lady come next election.

Oh well I guess I need to watch some Anger Managment and maybe go see Charley Sheen if I ever move back to Florida
Old March 6, 2013, 04:25 PM   #4
carguychris

Perhaps "Gibson", the sponsoring legislator, is an anger management counselor.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:44 PM   #5
armoredman

Compromise, we do anger management, and all elected officials have to pass high school level Constitutional classes prior to taking office...
Old March 6, 2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Several posts have been deleted for childish and uncivil statements. I can certainly understand the temptation towards humor, but let's stay focused on the matter at hand.

...which would be a wrongheaded bill sponsored by someone who should know better. Senator Gibson hails from the Northside area of Jacksonville, and if she wants to "help," she can start by addressing the horrid poverty and crime issues her district suffers.

I know; I lived there for a bit.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

Anger management classes are a bit of a racket. It's cheap and easy to become a "certified anger management facilitator." For around $700, anyone with an educational/occupational background that's the least bit relevant can take a 40-hour course (taking it online is an option, of course) and get certified.

Here's an example of a company offering certification, and a couple of quotations from their web site:
The certification training is open to those with a background in mental health, substance abuse, domestic violence, education, corrections, law enforcement, pastoral counseling, human resources, and those that need or desire to work with angry and hostile clients. Students in these fields may also be accepted.
------
The use of the word “requirement” is also somewhat loose because there are currently no state or federal laws that regulate anger management certification training or providers.
A bartender could probably get certified; they certainly have to "work with angry and hostile clients" on occasion.

This bill would certainly be a boon for the A.M. industry. They must have a very effective lobbying organization...
Old March 6, 2013, 09:18 PM   #8
KyJim

My anger management classes consist of shooting targets at the range.

Hey, that's not a bad idea if the bill becomes law. Set up an anger management class consisting of firearm practice. Maybe use some of those zombie targets for a little extra steam release.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Webleymkv

While Florida generally seems to be a fairly 2A friendly state, it is a swing state that's seen an influx of people from less 2A friendly states recently. As such can anyone familiar with current FL politics comment on the chances of this bill going anywhere?
Old March 7, 2013, 12:27 AM   #10
JRH6856

Quote:
Legislation like this just grinds my cookies.
An anger management course might help with that.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:08 AM   #11
willhud

Quote:
Hey, that's not a bad idea if the bill becomes law. Set up an anger management class consisting of firearm practice. Maybe use some of those zombie targets for a little extra steam release.
Shame there isn't a 'LIKE' button like on FB.

I live outside of Tampa, and Fla is a very diverse state with huge swing in beliefs on just about any topic, but I don't see this legislation going anywhere. I agree with a previous poster, it was probably done to make other legislation look sane. That said, you can bet I am putting pen to paper (or in my case fingers to keys) to write my local reps about it. Personally, I think if a Representative puts forward such silly legislation, that is reason enough to loose my vote, regardless of if I believe that saner legislation would be reasonable.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:07 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

Penney incident...

I'm curious if Penney, the young felon who shot a AK-47 at a ST Cloud Florida police car, wounding a patrol officer then got a plea deal(no gun charges) would be required to take the same anger mgmt class?
Or would convicted felons with gun charges just get a hug from the State's Atty or criminal court judge?

ClydeFrog
Old March 7, 2013, 03:06 PM   #13
dajowi

All of the preposterous and onerous House and Senate bills being presented by states I think are meant to "wear down" (reduce) their constituents responses to their state legislators. Even those who send 100s of emails and letters to their respective state representatives and senators, (like me) can be worn down by all the nonsensical proposed laws which are at this time overwhelming to say the least.

I bet there are thousands of new gun owners who voted for the people who are now attempting to dispense with the second amendment who wish they hadn't.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:32 PM   #14
godot

Is it just me or does this bill seem offensive? The implication of it seems to be that a person wanting to go target shooting or hunting or use a firearm for any legal reason, may indicate mental problems of some source.
Fortunately this bill is unlikely to go anywhere.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:23 PM   #15
BGutzman

I will take the anger management class as soon as she reads and explains the Constitution and the Bill of Rights by herself without a teleprompter or other anti gun nut aid.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:12 PM   #16
wayneinFL

Quote:
While Florida generally seems to be a fairly 2A friendly state, it is a swing state that's seen an influx of people from less 2A friendly states recently. As such can anyone familiar with current FL politics comment on the chances of this bill going anywhere?
Absolutely zero chance.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:35 AM   #17
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely zero chance.
That's kind of what I suspected. Indiana is similar in that occasionally some politician from Gary or the surrounding area will try to showboat by introducing some asinine anti-gun bill, but it never goes anywhere in Indianapolis.