The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 13, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
checkmyswag

M1A or Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle AND AK-47/AR-15

Would you rather for equal money have an M1A or a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle AND AK-47/AR15?

How about other 1:2 comparisons?

I've always believed in having just one rifle. But, I was thinking about that for equal money I could have 2 rifles in 2 different calibers (if that's a good thing or not I don't know).
Old May 13, 2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

M1A all the way

I got mine for a stupid great price and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. My AR doesn't get nearly as much trigger time as the M1A does anymore.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
checkmyswag

The M1A definitely seems like the best "do anything" rifle.

But I am intrigued (or put off by the price), that for the price of one gun I could have two, suppose if I continue that logic though I could have 3,4,5 for the same money with increasingly cheaper guns.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Jason_G

Quote:
The M1A definitely seems like the best "do anything" rifle.

But I am intrigued (or put off by the price), that for the price of one gun I could have two, suppose if I continue that logic though I could have 3,4,5 for the same money with increasingly cheaper guns.
The price kept me from getting one for a long time, but I'll say with no hesitations that I don't regret a penny of it. And this is from someone who does not make many gun purchases, because of a tight budget.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old May 13, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
triage1998

M1A gets my vote
Old May 13, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Keg

M1A....all the way....
Old May 13, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
chadio

Tough choice.

I'd give the nod to the M1A.... have you ever fired one?
Old May 13, 2012, 05:27 PM   #8
RT

A tier 1 AR with mags, ammo, optics, and then add a 300 Blackout upper later.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:16 PM   #9
checkmyswag

Never shot an M1A or AK. Have shot M16A2, M4 and 308 bolt gun.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:34 PM   #10
stu925

M1A would be my choice although I do like that Ruger GSR. There's a lot of history in the M1A design that you'll not get from the GSR. Personally I wouldn't use the GSR as a scout rifle anyway, I'd mount the scope over the receiver in the traditional position or leave it open sights.

Stu
Old May 13, 2012, 06:53 PM   #11
az_imuth

I've been in this very position before. Had the money in hand on several occasions and each time decided to spend it on something else. Wouldn't be long afterward that I was wishing I had gone ahead and bought an M1A. Finally learned my lesson and bought one. If I had it to do over again, it would be the FIRST purchase I would make. I have AK's, AR's and numerous bolt guns, but none of them scratch that itch like the M1A. Get one. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by az_imuth; May 17, 2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:25 PM   #12
AK103K

Having owned a number of M1A's, AK's and AR's, as well as a couple of different "scouts" (not a Ruger though), Id go with the Scout and an AK(5.45) or AR.

Ive also had a couple of "do all" type guns, and none of them "did all" very well.

If you go wlth an M1A, look for an older one. Like most things "Springfield", the older the better.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Young.Gun.612

Why have you "always believed in having just one rifle"?
Old May 13, 2012, 09:50 PM   #14
checkmyswag

Quote:
Why have you "always believed in having just one rifle"?
I try to live a very practical and simple lifestyle and reflect that in my purchases. So overall, I'm trying to cover all my needs/wants with as few guns as possible.

But that being said, I'm always trying to gain knowledge and grow, so I'm testing my "belief in having one rifle" here. I enjoy questioning myself and then gaining a deeper understanding.

So the question is, one expensive rifle that can "do it all" or more bang for the buck by having 2 more specialized rifles for about the same price?
Old May 13, 2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Analytical

Having lusted for an M1A Scout for the last 5 years, I own two Rugers GSRs and still have not purchased an M1A Scout. I always want the M1A, but boy when I pick one up and feel the heft of 9.3lbs of gun.... the idea of filling the magazine and adding another pound of rings and glass just kills it for me.

The Ruger starts at 7lbs, the poly mags are about 3oz, and a Leupold VX-II Scout weighs out to 6.6oz, add whatever rings and ammo. Probably totals out at around 8.2 - 8.5lbs. Loaded up it is still lighter than the base weight of an M1A Scout.

Now the Ruger GSR is a 1.5 - 2 MOA bolt gun in general. I base that statement on information from the scout rifle forums and from my own experiences with standard factory ammo. As with most bolt guns, some sand paper and acraglass will improve that. I have no idea what an M1A is capable of without the whole national match package, nor am I sure what to do about it if it not as accurate as I want.

Now weight is not the only factor in choosing a "do it all" gun but it is a big one for me. I still fight with myself over this, and this thread wont help anything .

Last edited by Analytical; May 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:33 PM   #16
checkmyswag

I went through much the same question about a year ago here. I am very set on defensive pistols, general purpose shotgun and hunting type 22's. The rifle thing is a bit more slippery for me. 1 vs 2 and what action/caliber. Think I am ruling out the AK so that helps. Then I'm basically looking at 223 and 308 platforms.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Crosshair

Going to argue the other way and say the Ruger is the way to go.

For a PRACTICAL rather than TACTICAL rifle the Ruger beats the M1A.

1. Easier maintenance in both short and long term. Compare how many spare parts you would need to stock to keep an M1A running vs a Bolt gun.
2. Less fussy on ammunition. I reload and on an autoloader I have to FL size while with the Ruger I just neck size. BIG time savings. Shoots cast lead bullets just fine.
3. Weight. As has been mentioned, the average M1A is much heavier than the GSR. Not an isue at the bench, but when you have to carry the darn thing around........
4. Easier to suppress. Comes threaded for a 30 cal can. (Thompson Machine THIRTY can on order.)

If I need to send lots of lead downrange I have my Mini-14s for that
Old May 13, 2012, 10:53 PM   #18
kraigwy

Quote:
Easier maintenance in both short and long term. Compare how many spare parts you would need to stock to keep an M1A running vs a Bolt gun.
I ain't buying that one little bit. I got my M1A in 1977 and have been shooting it quite heavily since. Shot for the NG until I retired in '92 and still shoot it in competition, which requires quite a bit of practice besides the matches.

I have had to replace a couple barrels and stretched out slings but that's it.

The M1As hold up quite will.

As the M21 in SE Asia they actually spent less time in the maintenance shops then the Marines M40s of the period.

If you like other rifles fine, but don't blame it on the M1A needing heavy maintance.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 13, 2012, 11:07 PM   #19
misterE

"Now the Ruger GSR is a 1.5 - 2 MOA bolt gun in general. I base that statement on information from the scout rifle forums and from my own experiences with standard factory ammo. As with most bolt guns, some sand paper and acraglass will improve that. I have no idea what an M1A is capable of without the whole national match package, nor am I sure what to do about it if it not as accurate as I want."

Got my m1a loaded used for $1400 which is a fair price I believe. This rifle, unmodified, shot 2 moa with iron sights at 100 yards. I have now mounted a scope, shimmed the gas cylinder ($8 worth of shims and a very easy do it yourself job) and I've shimmed the sides of the receiver with card stock. I now normally shoot .5 to 1inch groups at 100 yards with federal gmm. This still just blows my mind. I mean this is a semi automatic battle rifle and it outshoots many bolt guns I've owned or shot.

So, I would definitely say get an m1a. Who cares about weight? Your talking about 2 guns or a m1a so I think your 2 guns would weigh more than 1 m1a. Go shoot one and make the call.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:39 AM   #20
FJ4ZROX

I own both alternatives....while the GSR is a nice rifle, my M1A's are a better all around rifles, IMHO. Choose the "right one" for you - Scout, Standard, Loaded, synthetic or wood, blued or stainless and shoot the hell out of it!
Old May 14, 2012, 07:54 AM   #21
Crow Hunter

What is your use going to be?

You need to define your usage 1st before you make a decision.

If this is purely range/potential defensive use. 2 Good quality AR-15s one as primary, one as backup and then get a M&P 15/22 as a supplemental low cost training aid. Focusing on a single manual of arms is very good, particularly if you don't/won't be able to practice alot to keep up your "skills" with different action types. I shoot alot, and if I am shooting a pump shotgun, sometimes I forget to cycle it if I have been shooting autos/doubles for a while without using a pump. (Or try to pump an automatic, done that too.)

If you are just wanting something to have fun with and learn or historical collecting. Get one of each, they are all fun to shoot, and very interesting in and of themselves.

If you are wanting a serious hunting gun, go with a bolt action with a good quality magnified optic. While you can use a M1A for hunting, you will wish you hadn't if you do anything other than drive up on your ATV and sit in a tree. If you have to walk very far at all, you will wish for lighter weight.

For a general purpose do everything rifle? I don't think such a thing exists. Just like you can't really use one hammer for everything you need a hammer for.

You will have to pick what your most likely use is going to be and get something that fits that application the best.

Good luck.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:08 AM   #22
SR420

M14

I say M14 because I don't own an M1A, I own several rifles built on forged Norinco and Poly Tech M14 receivers that are stamped M14.

M1A is the trademarked name Springfield Armory, Inc. uses for their M14 type rifle.

My experience with these rifles is that they are accurate & reliable and they require little upkeep.

Last edited by SR420; May 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:12 PM   #23
L_Killkenny

I don't like the scout concept but even so I'd take a bolt action (just about any decent bolt action) AND an AR long before I'd even look at the M1A. Kinda a no brainer.

LK
Old May 14, 2012, 05:02 PM   #24
checkmyswag

Think I've changed my logic. I just don't see a lot I can do with an AR15 that I can't with an M1A. No I don't need all the rails the AR offers.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:04 PM   #25
checkmyswag

So im at M1A and/or bolt gun. Both in 308.