The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2007, 08:54 PM   #1
BrianBM

12 ga and corrosion resistance

Looks like my first hunting will be waterfowl, Canadas specifically, on salt water or within sniffing of it. The near-universal favorites on the board are 870 Police and Mossberg 590s (?). I'm perfectly happy with pumps - idiotproof reliability is always a thing of beauty - but would just like a comment or two on saltwater corrosion resistance of either one. That, and whether either of them cares if you feed it steel or other "green" shot.

So, if you were buying a shotgun optimized for saltwater goose gunning, and if you expected it to be used frequently, and around salt water, and with non-lead shot ... and if you wanted the best possible reliability without going well up into four figures, which versions of the 870 or 590 would you buy? I'm not worried about home defense, deer hunting with slugs, etc. I'll be sitting in a blind in waders. And I'll burn increasing amounts of ammunition in practice, retirement being closer and closer. Gents?
Old January 5, 2007, 09:29 PM   #2
shappy0869

One option is to just get whatever shotgun feels and fits you best and have it refinished at a place like this: http://www.shootiniron.com/PHOTOS.html
Old January 5, 2007, 10:38 PM   #3
skeeter1

Brian--

When I was goose/duck hunting, I used my Ithaca/SKB Model 100. Black chrome on the outside and hardchrome in the bores. Fairly expensive, but not in the four-digit range... yet.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=63587190

That assumes you might be ammenable to a SxS shotgun. Some people prefer them (that would be me) and some don't.

Both the Remmy and the Mossy can get the job done.
Old January 6, 2007, 01:08 AM   #4
Dfariswheel

One option is the Remington 870 Special Purpose with the military grade parkerized finish.

If you keep a coat of CLP Breakfree or a good hard wax on the metal, you should be OK.
Many salt water hunters apply a thick coat of Johnson's Paste Floor Wax and heat it with a hairdryer until it melts, then wipe off the excess.
This seals the metal nicely.

Many people have good luck by applying a dripping wet coat of CLP Breakfree, allow to sit for a half an hour than wipe off the excess.
Every time you handle or use the gun, apply more CLP.
CLP Breakfree is one of the very best rust proofing lubes, and it builds up a layer of Teflon to prevent rust.

Another possibility is Remington's Magnum Marine.
The standard MM is a satin nickel finished gun made for use around salt water.
This year, Remington is offering a BLACK Magnum Marine.
These guns come with short barrels and magazine extenders, but converting to a standard magazine and a longer sporting barrel takes a few minutes.

Still another option is to buy whatever Remington you want and have it refinished with a heavy-duty water and rust resistant finish, like one of the polymer finishes.
Old January 6, 2007, 01:22 AM   #5
perpster

Specifically for Water Environment

Mossberg 500 Mariner. Has "Marinecoat" finish. 6 shot 18.5" bbl or 9 shot 20" bbl models avail. Both are cylinder bore and bead sight.
Old January 6, 2007, 04:51 AM   #6
K80Geoff

Hunters have hunted for a couple centuries with blued shotguns. Learn how to properly care for the gun and clean/lube it after each outing and it will last longer than you will.

A shiny chromed shotgun might not be the best idea for sharp eyed ducks if you hunt from blinds. The marine magnum guns generally have fixed open chokes/short barrels that are not what you might want for ducks. Also you are limited to three shells in the gun, it had better be properly plugged to hold only three or the game wardens (Plentifull on Long Island BTW) will check it and you will get fined. If they see a magazine extension (Marine Magnum comes with one) you will get checked.

I would buy a basic 870 with 28" barrel and choke tubes. Short barrels are generally frowned upon by duck hunters. Before you go hunting give it a good wipe down with CLP or your favorite preservative. You might want to wax the stock, to include taking the stock off and waxing the part that comes in contact with the action.

I hope you are hunting with an experienced hunter, who should be able to guide your choices of guns and shells and keep you from running afoul of the local constabulary.

Violating waterfowl regs is a FEDERAL offense. You do know that you need both a State Hunting License AND a Federal Duck Stamp to hunt geese.
Old January 6, 2007, 06:03 PM   #7
skeeter1

Quote:
Mossberg 500 Mariner. Has "Marinecoat" finish. 6 shot 18.5" bbl or 9 shot 20" bbl models avail. Both are cylinder bore and bead sight.
Good choice. However, check your local hunting regulations. Here in Ohio, you can't go duck hunting with a shotgun that holds more than three rounds, hence those plugs that you have to put into the magazine tube.
Old January 6, 2007, 08:18 PM   #8
BrianBM

Thank you all. Geoff, I'll be hunting eastern LI with a guide. I have some leg surgery in spring which will let me sit in a hole by autumn, but not necessarily hike around upstate NY looking for a deer, which was my original intent.