The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2011, 04:13 PM   #126
ZeroJunk

The wind down here is blowing like crazy and I doubt the deer will move much. It's cold too. So, I think I will build a fire and lay around the house. Good luck.
Old October 29, 2011, 04:26 PM   #127
PawPaw

No deer today, but a great day to be in the woods. The temps moderated into the 50s by noon. The members of the lease met at about 10:00 at the camp and made a large breakfast. Bacon, eggs, biscuits, gravy, sausage with all the trimmings, honey, syrup, jelly, salsa. Pots of steaming coffee. Lies told, politics discussed, jokes laughed, news swapped. It was a great day to be alive.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 29, 2011, 05:34 PM   #128
sc outdoorsman

I am continuing on a strange streak that started with the fox and the rabbit. I went hunting with my dad Thursady morning for the first time this year. I put him on a stand where I saw a big doe Monday. It is on the edge of a powerline right of way. He saw a big buck and 3 does but things didn't work out for a shot. I went back Thursday evening and sat in the same stand until dark, but didn't see anything. I had put out some pill bottles with Tinks 69 to try to sweeten things up for the buck. I went to retrieve the bottles after dark and heard something in the edge of brush right next to me. I backed up a couple of steps turned around, shined my light and I was staring at an armadillo about 10' from me. I have never seen one in the 20 years we have hunted the property. He eased off in no particular hurry and I retrieved my bottle and headed to the truck.
Old October 29, 2011, 06:32 PM   #129
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I only saw the leftover fawns from the doe my uncle shot.

At least somebody is killing something.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:29 AM   #130
hooligan1

Nice Peetz,, make breakfast sausage out of her and send me some......
Old October 30, 2011, 10:20 AM   #131
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

She got donated to a friend of my fathers.

We'll be back out tonight!
Old October 30, 2011, 04:36 PM   #132
kaylorinhi

Bow only on Sundays in NC!!

737 Forest Park Rd
Elizabeth City‎ North Carolina‎ 27909
United States

I am about 15 meters north of the tracks on a harvested cotton field. I will be on the same tree later this week with my trusty 700SPS in .308 later this week, I am waiting for lopsided 4 point, 3 on his left 1? On his right!

Will upload pics as soon as I get home... so I am home now

This yearling Doe wondered right up to the tree I was in, was just happy as a clam until she cut my trail in to the stand, SHE BOLTED out quick, got about 40 yards further in and chilled out and wondered deeper in the woods.

The other pic is just a view of the field and of the wood line to the North-ish.

Kaylorinhi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0323.jpg (248.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0324.jpg (253.7 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by kaylorinhi; October 30, 2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add pic
Old October 30, 2011, 05:31 PM   #133
slammedsi

Setting in a blind with my wife right now. Deer just started to move. Two does and a shooter buck grazing on the wheat.
Old October 30, 2011, 06:19 PM   #134
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well I tried to update live from the stand earlier but I was actually hunting from a place with no cell service!

As I was heading for the tree I was going to climb, I saw a deer bounding through the woods but it stopped about 70 yards from me.
I had my call right there so I thought I'd try calling it back. I stepped just a bit to my left to hide a little in the brush but I was pretty much wide open.
I did a couple doe bleats and a couple of soft grunts and that deer turned around and started walking right back toward me.
A few seconds later I see movement to my right and I look and there's a button buck standing there looking at me at like 20 yards.
He didn't much like what he saw but he just stood there looking at me while the other deer, which turned out to be a doe fawn, walked back.
After the doe got back with the buck, they both decided they didn't like me any more and bounded away about 40 yards and stopped.
Amazingly, I did a few more bleats and grunts and they turned right around and came back. This time they crossed in the open and I would have shot the doe but she didn't give me a shot. The button buck stood there broadside 15 yards, of course.
Anyway, it was very cool to be that close to them on the ground and actually call them back twice.
Saw three other deer cross the dirt road near me but right after they crossed a car came up through and they ran away.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 31, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old October 31, 2011, 02:43 PM   #135
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here I am again! LIVE from the stand!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=42.520581,-76.433312

Same spot as two nights ago... excellent wind direction, good tree, let's hope they move early!
Old October 31, 2011, 03:45 PM   #136
bswiv

I hope so too................because if you'll go ahead and collect a deer I can get back to my old routine............
Old October 31, 2011, 08:09 PM   #137
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't put one down tonight.
Saw 3 at about 150 yards.
Old November 1, 2011, 07:57 PM   #138
stu925

Now I wish I'd gotten the smart phone when I upgraded a couple months ago. Would have fun to be able to play along when rifle season starts.

Stu
Old November 2, 2011, 07:13 PM   #139
mrawesome22

I shot at the biggest buck of my life tonight. Thing must have had 15 inch G2's....

Hit a darn limb on a little hickory tree and arrow did a left zig and hit 10 yards left into the dirt.

I'm still heart broke.

Freaking huge buck.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:34 PM   #140
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm still heart broke.

Freaking huge buck.
And now he has yer number... You had yer chance and you schooled the big mucker!

Brent
Old November 2, 2011, 08:07 PM   #141
sc outdoorsman

I have been 3 afternoons this week and seen nothing probably only heard about a dozen shots total. I guess I will have to try mornings this weekend see if they are moving then.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:47 PM   #142
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome22 View Post
I shot at the biggest buck of my life tonight. Thing must have had 15 inch G2's....

Hit a darn limb on a little hickory tree and arrow did a left zig and hit 10 yards left into the dirt.

I'm still heart broke.

Freaking huge buck.
Oh that sucks.

This is a rough game sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc outdoorsman View Post
I have been 3 afternoons this week and seen nothing probably only heard about a dozen shots total. I guess I will have to try mornings this weekend see if they are moving then.
Bummer.
Hope it turns around for you.
Old November 3, 2011, 05:29 AM   #143
DRice.72

I'm sitting on my back porch listening to a small group move through the woods now.
Old November 4, 2011, 06:38 PM   #144
rickyrick

I will attempt a Live From the Stand, wild pig edition tonight. Last week was a bust as the temp dropped bellow freezing and was not prepared for that cold...I mainly forgot gloves and paid for it as frost built up on the barrel.

I have a bag of hunting necessities, but I took it out of the truck to make room for a different task and forgot about it.
Old November 4, 2011, 06:43 PM   #145
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Cool!
Good luck!
Old November 4, 2011, 07:57 PM   #146
bswiv

Not often I wish Louann and I were paying for a monthly phone plan ( Prepaid junk is us! ) but this thread is almost enough.

Tomorrow is Fl. General season opener in our area. Just got back from picking trees for the climbers. Can't wait.............which is kind of sad when you figure how OLD I am.

But then if it gets to where there's no "can't wait"......there's not much reason to go.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:13 PM   #147
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiv
But then if it gets to where there's no "can't wait"......there's not much reason to go.
You got that right!

I'll be "LIVE from the stand!" tomorrow afternoon.... 230 or so.

My cousin shot a doe yesterday and my dad missed a big buck today.

The chase phase is "officially" underway in our area. Deer/car reports, hunter reports and previous predictions all indicate such. Today was predicted to be THE best day, tomorrow a close second.

It's not even opening day and I can't wait!
Old November 4, 2011, 09:25 PM   #148
stu925

Good luck Peetza! I'm just starting to get geared up for opening day on the 19th (I haven't even sighted in my rifle yet). As we get closer to the big day I find myself getting more excited about it.

Stu
Old November 5, 2011, 07:52 AM   #149
globemaster3

In the blind near Weatherford TX. Had deer all around us before light. My 15 yo daughter just put a meat doe on the ground @ 80 yards with her 6.8 SPC AR-15. Still see deer moving so we are going to hang and try for a twofer.

Last edited by globemaster3; November 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:57 AM   #150
globemaster3

Well that didn't take long. Culled small buck at 60 yards with .308 DPMS LR-308B. Time to start the work!

Last edited by globemaster3; November 5, 2011 at 10:14 AM.