The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Citywaterman

Leading in my barrel - using ALOX on my cast bullets

I'm sure this subject has been covered many times. I get the lead out. It's not usually very much. I use Hoppes #9 and it seems to work well. I heard that KROIL works best, but unless I order it on the internet, it's not easy to find. Can someone who uses or has used Kroil tell me a little about how well it works cleaning lead from a revolver barrel? I've noticed accuracy decreasing toward the end of the day of shooting.

Along the same subject, I cast my own bullets (Lee TL molds) I tumble lube my lead cast bullets with ALOX. I've read about some recipes for pan lubing lead cast bullets (Not the TL type). Can I pan lube the tumble lube type bullets? If I did, would this reduce the leading in the barrel? I'm thinking more lube. I new to most of this. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you, Citywaterman
Old October 11, 2009, 07:30 PM   #2
LHB1

I use a Star lubricator-sizer with ALOX lube instead of tumble lubing or pan lubing. With this method, the lube is pressure inserted into the lube groove. Works great for me. No leading in either my .45 ACP or .44 Mag pistols.
Old October 12, 2009, 06:50 AM   #3
hornady

There are many and varied reasons for leading. As well as techniques for removal. On leading I would recommend either the Lyman or RCBS cast bullet books. Both are very good. As too removal of lead. Heavy leading is best done with a Lewis lead remover. Moderate with J-B bore cleaning compound. Both can be ordered at www.Brownells.com
Old October 12, 2009, 07:10 AM   #4
trip_sticker

The above mentioned suggestions for getting the lead out will work. I use Hoppes #9 and the wire brush that came in my cleaning kit and that works well for me.

I wanted to add that even with zero leading in my gun, my accuracy starts to go south towards the end of the shooting session. This is when I know it is time for me to switch to a rifle for some more shooting or to give it up for the day. It isn't my gun that is getting less acurate, it is me!
Old October 12, 2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Whisper 300

citywaterman,

As previously noted, many causes to leading but first off-is the bullet slightly oversize for the bore or is there an oversized cylinder?
A slightly undersized round will be gas cut and lead the living daylights out of a barrel.
Is the barrel "rough"? Try smoothing any minor imperfections with a tight patch and a mild abrasive like JB cleaner, flitz, or whatever is available and mild.
If shooting mild pistol rounds I find it hard to see how your LLA does not do the job-even dead soft lead should not be a big problem at lower velocities.

As to Kroil- try Midway or any of the other dealers.
Yup-the stuff does work-run a soaked patch through, maybe let it sit a bit and watch the lead come off on the patch.

Recently been touted as a pretty good mold release too.

Also, get over to either Cast Boolit Forum or Cast Bullet Ass'n. Forums for much much better advice.
Those guys have tons of experience and more than likely there is a sticky related to your question.
Hope it helps.

Gary
Old October 12, 2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Edward429451

Is the leading near the cylinder or nearer to the end of the barrel?