The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2006, 09:26 AM   #26
Big Mac

Well it looks like a precision cut job, though I was told by the gun dealer who sold it to me that a heat shield will scratch up the heavy barrel, that's why they don't put them on. I'm sure that can also be worked out if one were to analyze it. Though I've also heard (I hear a lot of things, don't I?) that the heavy barrel may be too thick for the heat shield, once again I'm assuming that a little work on it can alleviate this. Any suggestions? Jeers? Cheers? Tom Arnold?
Old August 20, 2006, 10:19 AM   #27
cloudcroft

No, no suggestion here...I don't have a heatshield yet so I can't see exactly how I would alter it to fit...and still look good. And how it will be done is up to the guy doing it according to his design and skill level.

It's got to look like it came with gun in the first place...but I sure won't be doing any crude "hack jobs" (often the result of many "home DIY gunsmiths" unfortunately).

Eventually, I will get one -- when I see what's available out there (I believe it's pretty much the same "universal" shield (blued, not Parkerized even) when I looked several years ago) -- but presently I don't have one...I have more important projects I need to finish first.

-- John D.

P.S. Someone SHOULD produce a Parkerized heat shield just for the 590A1...a niche-market probably, but still there IS a market for such a product.
Old August 20, 2006, 10:58 AM   #28
Big Mac

Definitely, I'm surprised Mossberg didn't do it already. They made the damn gun, how hard can it be to make an accesory to it?