The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 2, 2006, 05:00 PM   #1
mtnbkr

Ebay Scam, not spefically firearms related though

I saw this over at apug.org. I'm posting this here because folks do buy firearms related stuff at ebay and the more people know about this the less likely they are to run afoul of it.

Quote:
I know a lot of us are using ebay and today I have seen the worst scam yet.

When I went to ebay item 8264672764, it automatically kicked up a FALSE sign in page. You cannot stop it and it looks real.

DO NOT SIGN IN.

The subtitle of the auction description says "BUY IT NOW AT [email protected]"

Very scary. Be careful.
I guess the tip here is to not accept any login you didn't request by attempting to access protected resources (ie, going to "my ebay" or attempting to bid). If you do get a login prompt you weren't expecting, make sure the address is <something>.ebay.com. This could be my.ebay.com, offer.ebay.com, and so on. I've never seen it redirect to a non-ebay.com domain, nor an IP address.

Chris
Old March 2, 2006, 05:02 PM   #2
mtnbkr

update:
Just found out that guy has over 200 similar "auctions" at ebay. They all do the same thing.

Chris
Old March 2, 2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Tom2

watch for emails

I just in the past week got phishing scams from "paypal" and "ebay" that wanted me to click on a link. The emails are accurate copies of the corporate pages, and look convincing. When I checked and found the paypal was fake, I went there to the link multiple times, and entered multiple fake addresses and passwords that were obscene insults to the creeps that were running it! My only chance to get back at the scammers. I assume someone forwarded the scam info to ebay so they could delete the guy?
Old March 2, 2006, 08:15 PM   #4
mgdavis

I've started getting those e-mails recently also. E-Bay asks that you forward all "questionable" e-mails claiming to be legit to [email protected]. If it is something that affects you or your account you will find it in your My Account section of E-Bay.