The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
droptrd

Universal decapping dies

I want to start decapping before cleaning. So I'm gonna need a universal die.

Give me your opinions on them.

I'm looking at lee or Lyman. I've read mixed reviews on the rcbs. Plus I don't like the idea the rcbs design is limited to caliber groups. I prefer rcbs for my rifle dies but I use lee for most of pistol dies. What else is there?
Old February 10, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2
zplinker

I've been using the Lee decapping die w/o a problem, for about 30 years. Maybe the others are better, but I'll never know.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Sevens

I won't ever decap before cleaning. If you are using a regular vibratory cleaner with simple corn or walnut media...those primer pockets STILL won't get clean but you will end up with media stuck in them. And if you don't find each & every little nugget of media stuck in them, you'll eventually displace or snap a decapping pin.

Of course, if you are sonic cleaning or wet tumbling with steel media or some such thing, disregard the above.

I've never bought a universal decap die -- but I screwed in the "never used and I will likely never use it!" sizing die from a see of 7.62x54R dies in to my old single stage press (that also never otherwise gets used) and I use it as a "universal decap die" any time I feel the need to decap something.

It's not that I recommend using some obscure rifle cartridge sizing die...
It's just that I had one, it works just fine, and I doubt I'll ever use it for it's intended job.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:13 PM   #4
droptrd

Yeah I just ordered a rotary tumbler and some stainless pins. So I figure I might as well try to clean the pockets since I will be able to
Old February 10, 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Sevens

I tell ya... you are adding a whole step to your process for something that most of us have found no benefit in.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if you want. For sure, there's something to be said for taking pride in your ammo and if you want those pockets clean, it's all good.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Poindexter

I have found that my 45-70 size-decap die is "big enough" to use as a "universal" decap die for all the other smaller stuff I reload.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:13 AM   #7
LarryFlew

Bought the Lee universal, tried it, For sale $15 shipped
Old February 11, 2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I just bought a Lee die ( bought an extra pin just in case... from reading the comments on Midway... but have run crimped primers & ran into a couple berdan primed cases, & nnot had a problem with my decapping pin ) I love mine... also switched to wet tumbling with stainless pins... I have ammo cans full of empty cases, as I was never really happy with corn cob tumbling, & using the brushes on my RCBS case prep center for cleaning pockets after tumbling...

totally love my set up now, & have been going through all my ammo cans of emptys & making them look new...

just don't forget to size them later ( they'll look so nice, you want to just load them )

one of the reasons I started with my current routine, is I've scratched a sizing die, by sizing & decapping, before cleaning, & some how got some grit into the system... not that dies are super expensive, but I'd rather wear them out from use, than throw them out all scratched up...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 11, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have been using a Lyman universal decapping die for well over 20 years , absolutely love it . It lets me run my expander button up inside the die where it's stronger and straighter . I don't mind the extra step , or pushing media out of flash holes . I look at it as another chance to inspect my brass . A #7.5 Torx bit in a bit holder screwdriver makes short work of cleaning the flash holes !
Old February 11, 2013, 11:57 AM   #10
maggys drawers

I got a Lee Universal Decapper and their small C press to decap prior to tumbling with SS media.

Using a dedicated press to decap sure keeps my Rock Chucker cleaner.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

yep... me too... I have an RCBS junior that I use for my universal decapping die, & my file trim dies... & you're right, it does keep the Rock Chucker much cleaner
Old February 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #12
WIL TERRY

LET ME SEE NOW....I have used an RCBS decapping die since Moses was a corporal in 136+ calibers but you can't make it work right ??
ALSO, there is a might good reason why they have a couple to choose from; THINK ABOUT IT !!
And so it goes...