The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
migmachata

Tinkering With Auto Loaders

I have a Browning Silver Hunter 12. gauge auto, and I was just wondering, hypothetically, what adjustments or changes to say the barrel, would do to the cycling of the weapon. Does the barrel length affect the action of the gun? It's gas operated.
Old March 22, 2010, 09:43 PM   #2
oneounceload

Not as long as the barrel length is past the gas vents. Barrel length has to do with swing dynamics - too short and the barrel becomes "whippy" and hard to properly control
Old March 22, 2010, 09:48 PM   #3
migmachata

Thank you very much
Old March 23, 2010, 12:12 AM   #4
zippy13

I don't know about Brownings, but the Remington 1100 gas operated auto-loader has the same size gas vent holes (.079" dia. x 2) in the Field barrels in lengths of 22, 26, 28 and 30" -- this substantiates oneounceload's reply. However, don't take this to mean that if you cut the barrel to the length of the mag tube it won't alter the gas works.
Old March 23, 2010, 12:50 PM   #5
jmr40

The barrel length will have an effect on some gas guns. I know that the 11-87's with 26" barrels will sometimes choke on light loads. The longer barrels are more reliable. Mine gave me fits until well broken in. The people at Remington said it had to do with the gas having less time to build up pressure to work the action in the shorter barrels.

This is not a problem with the inertia operated guns, and seems to be less of a concern with some other gas guns.

Tags
adjustment , auto , barrel , browning , shotgun