The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 21, 2008, 12:12 PM   #1
davlandrum

Bow Hunters - Best new gadget

I know there are a lot of bow hunters here as well as rifle hunters.

I am having a hard time finding any new bow hunting gadgets that I "must have" for this year. Anyone ran across something profoundly cool?

I sent my Oneida Black Eagle in for a complete rebuild at the factory this winter and am very happy with the job they did.

I know "if you don't need anything, don't get anything", but I like to have something fun and new to play with each year...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 21, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Do you have a bowmaster portable bow press?? I see that as a must have personally.

I keep one in a pack in my truck. If I lose a peep sight or something it makes field replacement so much easier.

I think I paid around 40 bucks or so for it.

http://www.prototechind.com/

BTW, it ain't exactly new. I've had one for 2 or 3 years.
Old July 21, 2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Scorch

I just read about the next "must have" gadget for bowhunters: a camera mount for your bow so you can photograph or record your shot.
Old July 21, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4
birdshot

longbows

i never enjoyed practice until i got a longbow.
Old July 21, 2008, 05:38 PM   #5
davlandrum

Scorch - I looked at those (OK, quit laughing...). The problem is, the way I read the Oregon regs, it would be illegal (specifically prohibits any electronic device attached to your bow...)

RR - won't work on my bow, as mine has limb ends like a recurve (yes, I realize this is the price I pay for having an Oneida..., but I wouldn't trade the sweet shooting for anything).

Might have to just get some new camo and some new calls...but where's the fun in that.

Birdshot - I almost talked myself into getting another recurve, but the $$$$$$ they want now is just beyond insane.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 21, 2008, 07:21 PM   #6
rantingredneck

I sometimes regret selling my Fred Bear Alaskan recurve.........
Old July 22, 2008, 12:17 PM   #7
davlandrum

RR - at least you chose to sell it, even if you regret it.
I had a Martin Hatfield T/D recurve, 75#. Got stole out of a storage unit during a move...along with a Barretta 92F, a 7mm Weatherby Mag, a 30-30, couple of .22s, about 1/2 dozen bass fishing rods and reels.....absolutely one of the worst days in my entire life.

Old July 22, 2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Mark Milton

The only archery gadget invented since the compound bow worth owning is the Whisker Biscuit.
Everything else is just crap.

With the Whisker Biscuit you can fire your bow hanging upside down if you had to, and it doesn't get any better than that!

The modern Compound Bow is fast on it's way to becoming like a 1911 pistol in that everybody and his half witted brother is coming out with bolt on aftermarket crap that does nothing but clutter up the product.
Old July 22, 2008, 01:25 PM   #9
davlandrum

Mark

+1 on the WB -- only rest I shoot. I wasn't really looking for junk to strap on my bow, just generally for bow hunting.

Old July 22, 2008, 01:28 PM   #10
rantingredneck

Quote:
The modern Compound Bow is fast on it's way to becoming like a 1911 pistol in that everybody and his half witted brother is coming out with bolt on aftermarket crap that does nothing but clutter up the product.
Well said. I still hunt with a PSE Nova or when I'm feeling really retro a Martin Warthog Magnum. Parallel limbs ultra fast whizbangs they are not..........

But they put meat in the freezer with ease.
Old July 22, 2008, 02:22 PM   #11
davlandrum

RR - that is why I sent my Oneida in for a refit/refurbish. It still works fine, just needed new cabling (and a new grip).

Other problem with new bows is they are all designed for release shooters. I swear they get shorter axle-to-axle every year.

I went through my release phase long ago, and have no interest in going back. Last thing I need in the heat of the moment as I am desperately trying not to fall down a canyon is to be monkeying with a release.

Old July 22, 2008, 03:01 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think a little correspondence with DNR regarding the camera on the bow would get you an retro active exemption letter for this year and a clarification for next... I think they may mean red dots, lasers, and the like... not digis. That would be cool though to have a high qual film of your shot, arrow flight and MISS (likely my result) or THWACK.... and down deer!
Brent
Old July 22, 2008, 03:06 PM   #13
davlandrum

Brent - probably right. Honestly, I would be surprised if LE would cite me for it, as it is clearly not against the intent of the regs.

Of course, I am not willing to stake my status as a Hunter Ed instructor on that....

Old July 24, 2008, 09:43 PM   #14
TPAW

Let me date myself, a Berger Button........