The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 19, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
marine6680

Leatherwood CMR4, anyone have or used one?

I can find plenty of info on the regular CMR but not the newer CMR4. The original is generally well liked but has a few small issues. The new CMR4 has an improved reticle and supposedly better glass and costs $100 more.

The reason I ask, is that I have narrowed down my scope choices to either the vortex PST 1-4 or the new CMR4. I know many consider the Vortex superior to the original CMR... Which is reflected by the price difference, but is it still superior to the new CMR4?

The CMR4 is a true mil system scope, with reticle and turret adjustments in mils. I am not familiar with the mil system but I am willing to learn. I really like the layout of the CMR4 reticle, it's not cluttered. The Vortex isn't bad either. The left hand Windage knob is nice on the CMR4, for right handed shooters. I like the longer eye relief of the Vortex... But I am not sure how forgiving the eye box is on it.

The CMR4 is a little cheaper than the Vortex normally, but I can get the Vortex capped version for the same price and the turret version for $20 more. So if the Vortex is superior then the choice is easy, but if not, then price is no longer a factor to help decide and I will look at the merits of each. The reticle being a big factor... I know the Vortex glass is very nice, I have held one and looked through it, but can't remember how sensitive to eye position it is. Some scopes are lenient but others require pretty exact eye position to work well... I now the original CMR needed fairly constant eye position, but I have not found any info about the new one... So that is where a big sticking point is on my choice. So any information about that would help.

Thanks
Old November 20, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
tobnpr

Well...

I had a CMR on my Mini and was very pleased with it. Clarity of the glass to me, was exceptional. Tight clicks, zero-lock turrets, and the "1x" was actually very close to a true "1x". Illuminated dot was bright and crisp.

Can't speak to the CMR4 (never knew they had a new model), but do own a couple of Vortex optics. And, I feel they're one of the best values on the market.

For anything close to the same cost, for a similar optic, Vortex would win hands down, every time. Not knocking Hi-Lux, as I did have a service issue with my CMR which was handled very quickly (like Vortex). But Vortex has the lifetime "VIP" warranty to whomever owns the scope- can't beat it.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 20, 2013, 08:58 PM   #3
marine6680

That warranty is nice... a big factor to consider.