The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2010, 09:44 PM   #1
tboehm

Shortening synthetic stock?

I need to shorten my daughters 270 savage and put on a grindable limbsaver. I need some suggestions as to a specific product of an epoxy or glue that I can use to hold the screws that won't shatter or break and will adhere to the smooth surface on the inside of a synthetic stock. On another approach, would I be better off gluing in a piece of hard wood and then screwing into that? Any insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 4, 2010, 01:23 AM   #2
hoghunting

I always keep Brownell's Acraglas gel on hand as I seem to use it a lot. What I have done on synthetic stocks is cut the stock down and use Acraglas to glue the pad to the stock. Hold it on with tape and let it set overnight. I remove the tape and shape the pad. On most rifles there isn't much need to remove a pad, so I glue it on a synthetic instead of cutting a wood backing. If I ever need to remove the pad, I just cut it off.
Old March 4, 2010, 06:30 AM   #3
mete

Rough up that smooth surface first.