The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 21, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
BerdanSS

458 socom build ?s

He guys, I'm wanting to venture into (for me) unknow waters with my AR. I have a upper "to end all uppers" that I built a while back. And to this day it has pretty much done nothing than sit in the safe. I have come to relies for myself at least, a 5.56 ar15 is possibly the most worthless thing I could ever own. I don't varmint hunt...at all. I have horses and livestock, but where they are...coyotes are a non issue. My knowledge is pretty much limited to the older AR standbys 5.56, 9mm and .50 Beowulf. I've never even held a SOCOM casing.

I want to have my ARs serve some role other than paper punching, looking pretty in the safe and being a, "Hey check this one out" piece. want a hog/deer gun....I live in Indiana, so .50 or 458. Not interested in the 6.8. I'm leaning towards the SOCOM. I will be reloading, so factory ammunition cost is not a consideration.

In perpetration for the build, will 458 brass fit out the ejection port of a standard AR upper? Or will I need to open it up like is needed for the Beo. or buy an enlarged port upper? I plan on trading my upper for one or selling it and building one to my specifications (preferred)

Last edited by BerdanSS; September 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old September 21, 2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Scubasimmons

I know the beowulf can't use the dust cover and the .458 can, but i dont know if the port is the same size as the 5.56. I'm planing my .458 socom build and the reason it beat out the beowulf (for me) was bullet selection. I'm planning on building the lower and getting an RRA upper, although i like what wilson has.
Old September 22, 2013, 04:28 AM   #3
mxsailor803

I'm gonna keep a eye on this one since I'm at a toss up between the Beo and the Socom myself. Good luck on your build.
Old September 22, 2013, 05:41 AM   #4
BerdanSS

SCUBA

The massive selection of bullets compared to the Wulf was the deciding factor for me as well. The only thing the ,50 Beo had going for it with me was the rim size allowing me to use a 7.62x39 bolt thus eliminating a part I needed to buy. But that made for a weak argument against the SOCOM
Old September 22, 2013, 05:51 PM   #5
BerdanSS

okay....I'm going to keep the 5.56 upper. I'm going to remove the barrel ( an 18" compass lake SPR) and use all the parts I already have and save that barrel for later. So from what I understand, all I need to do is get a .458 barrel and bolt correct? unless the ejection port needs opening up, I don't want to go shaving on my Mega machine billet upper especially when it's got that matching Mega GTR H3 ambi lower to pair up with it. If so I'll get a socom ready receiver, like the mega HD as well.

The .458 socom bolt will fit a 5.56 auto carrier correct?
Old September 22, 2013, 06:00 PM   #6
BerdanSS

double tap

Last edited by BerdanSS; September 23, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:36 PM   #7
smee78

Tag for watching this thread, I was thinking of a 458 socom build but never got around to it so this should be informative.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:13 PM   #8
SmokyBaer

Was on the Wilson wait list for six months and they said it'd probly be another six. Outta no where, my bud heard me sniveling about it and said he had a new project happening and asked i'd like his Rock River... uh... well YEAUH. Slapped that puppy on my CMT build and fellas, it is a super tight fit. Love it when different parts go together right.

Just got my Leupold 2-7 in and mounted but will head to the range sometime this week. For now, all i can say is the RRA upper cycles smooth and feels solid. Will see if that holds true when those 300 grainers go downrange for groups. Anxious to see if it's accurate enough for bagging a whitetail this season. With near 45-70 ballistics, i see no problems there.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:11 AM   #9
BerdanSS

No pictures of the rifle .......dude, your killn us
Old September 23, 2013, 05:18 PM   #10
SmokyBaer

Sorry... Here she is!!

Old September 23, 2013, 07:58 PM   #11
MarkCO

With the .450, .458 and the .50, the ejection port does need to be milled or you will have ejection issues. I prefer the .450BM of the three big ones, but they all need bolts and barrels and maybe some mag work.

If you don't want to shave the ejection port, consider a .300 Blackout. It is basically the "modern" 30-30. I shoot 135 Noslers at 2450 fps. Plenty of short range deer and hogs. Just a barrel swap.
Old September 23, 2013, 10:14 PM   #12
Scubasimmons

According to Wilson's site the 458 ejection port needs minor shaving, but unlike the beowulf and the 450 it does NOT require mag work and the 458 takes rifle bullets not pistol bullets.
Old September 24, 2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Chinny33

take the 458 to kill whitetails

I took my 458 RRA hunting in Indiana 2 years ago and got a small white tail buck. Im coming this november for more deer! I hate using slugs!

awesome round and caliber. Reloading is tricky because ive had problems cycling a few pet loads. short-stroking issue specifically. Be sure you DONT use a heavy buffer. I would recommend to cut off at least 3-5 coils from the buffer spring also.

I never modified the port at all.

I also prefer to use 10rd steel magazines. I had problems with hang ups with Magpul magazines.

out of all the large caliber rounds for the AR15, i think the 458 is the only one that doesnt need proprietary magazines.
Proverbs 27:12
Old September 25, 2013, 07:55 AM   #14
MarkCO

All you need for the .450BM is a follower replacement, but yes, the .458 uses standard mags.
Old October 3, 2013, 05:08 AM   #15
SmokyBaer

Finally got my 458 to the range to see what it would do. Well, I am less than impressed by 2.5 to 3 inch group at a hundred. Still do not know if it was me or the rifle. Checked my scope mount and rings and everything is solid. In fact, as I was dialing in the Leupold's zero at 50, the shots walked repeatably to center. All I can say is another range day may tell the tale. Still way cool and it surprised me with a kick somewhat like my 308. Not bad at all but you know you throwing power darts!!
Old October 12, 2013, 11:26 AM   #16
Darker Loaf

RE BerdanSS

If you have the "Upper-To-End-All-Uppers," my advice is: don't mess with it! Keep the .223 option, ammunition will come back and prices will return to normal eventually. It's a good self-defense option, and I think it's adequate for deer hunting. I use mine for deer hunting and it was adequate enough to break a shoulder with a Hornady v-max tip, break a rib, pass through both lungs, and break the opposing rib before stopping on the hide.

But even if you only use it for plinking or keep it as a self defense option, I recommend keeping it. If you like it and it's a great build, that's gold right there. In my experience, stuff that runs right is always worth keeping. If you gut it for a somewhat sketchy .458 SOCOM build, you may have a pile of parts that don't quite work right.

If I were you, I'd get a complete upper in .458 instead of milling out your ejection port and ripping your upper apart. They are not that expensive. Just get an upper with the same length gas system that you have on your current rifle, and then you'll have two functioning uppers for the same lower. They use the same mags, so there in lies the beauty of something like the .458 SOCOM.

I'm biased because I have a high-functioning RRA Elite Operator II, but I'd look at RRA uppers. You have 4 to chose from with a lot of customization options: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=251