The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
rebs

Ruger MK II, drill and tap ?

Does anyone have an idea of the going price to drill and tap a Ruger MK II 22/45 ? I want to put a rail and red dot on it.
Old February 4, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2
HKFan9

Depending on the smith or the shop... $10-20 a hole, generally you'll need 3-4 holes.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
alex0535

Consider a Burris Fastfire, they make mounting plates for the Ruger Mark III with no drilling and tapping required. Opticsplanet sells the Fastfire II and "410329 Mount" for $250.

No idea on the going price of it being drilled and tapped but personally I would put the money towards a Fastfire II or III with. I love my FFIII 3 moa dot.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Pahoo

Hold up a minute and consider;

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea of the going price to drill and tap a Ruger MK II 22/45 ?
You reaslly don't have to as there are bases made to fit your barrel, that require no matchining. Last time I checked, there are about four different makes that you can buy. Weaver, Burris and B-Square for starters. I own all three and they work great. I have a forth that I have not been able to identify. The lower part of the mount, replaces one of the grip panels and extends up to a Weaver style base. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 4, 2013, 08:34 PM   #5
chris in va

I had a Weigand rail on mine, no drilling necessary.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:31 PM   #6
tmlynch

I have one of these. Works like a charm!

Good luck!
Tom
Old February 5, 2013, 07:19 AM   #7
CajunBass

Thanks Tom. I'm going to have to get one of those.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 5, 2013, 07:26 AM   #8
rebs

Quote:

Good luck!
Tom
I looked and it says it clamps to the top of the receiver. So there is no drilling or tapping involved ? How long have you had yours mounted ? Have you had any problems at all with this mount ?
Old February 5, 2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Jayhawkhuntclub

Quote:
I had a Weigand rail on mine, no drilling necessary.
This is the way to go IMHO. Very solid and no drilling required. You just remove the rear sight and fit it to the dovetail. Some minor filing of the mount may be required. Nice fit and finish. It looks like it belongs there when it's installed: can't say the same for the B-square mount. But that's just my opinion.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:39 AM   #10
tmlynch

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Tom
I looked and it says it clamps to the top of the receiver. So there is no drilling or tapping involved ? How long have you had yours mounted ? Have you had any problems at all with this mount ?
I am getting old, and my memory is getting hazier. I have probably had it on more than five years, but less than ten years. I put it on a Government Target model that was not drilled and tapped so that I could mount a red dot sight. I have had no issues.

It clamps on the upper receiver. You can slide it on from the barrel end. The mount is aluminum, so it shouldn't mar the steel. I'll admit I have not had it off since I mounted it, so I can't vouch for what is going on underneath. It does not interfere with disassembly.

I don't know if this is a feature, or a coincidence. You can still use the iron sights by peeking through the clamp-on base. It is a dark tunnel, so you may need to really concentrate, but you can do it.

I'll try to remember to take pictures tonight.

Tom
Old February 5, 2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Pahoo

Many options

Quote:
How long have you had yours mounted ?
I have had my B-Square mounted for about 20yrs. now and still going strong. Both are in white metal. ....

Now, to date my favorite is the Burris. It's smaller and less bulky and really makes the whole thing look pretty neat. While you are out shopping, look into these. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 5, 2013, 12:29 PM   #12
blackamos

I have been using a MGW 22 mount on my Ruger mark II for years. No problems and no gunsmithing. Here is a link http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseye...p?productid=58
Old February 5, 2013, 08:51 PM   #13
rebs

I would appreciate some pics of the different mounts on your guns.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:53 PM   #14
tmlynch

Quote:

I would appreciate some pics of the different mounts on your guns.
Here you go! Apologies for the fuzzy images. This phone's camera has always underperformed its megapixel count. Pocket lint may also be involved.

Right

Left

Front

BUIS!

Regards,
Tom
Old February 6, 2013, 11:30 AM   #15
blackamos

Upload error.

Last edited by blackamos; February 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM.