The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 3, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Chowder

My first 1911

As the topic states I just got my first 1911. It's a Springfield loaded model in stainless with target sights. I traded a Mossburg 500 and some other no firearm related things for and and couldn't be happier. Cant wait to get to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

Old November 3, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Creeper

Howdy Chowder...

I see it's a NM prefix. Nice gun, good find... you'll enjoy it. A few things you may or may not be aware of. Humor me if you are.
If it doesn't have an "idiot scratch" on it, and you don't know what I'm talking about... look it up before you disassemble the gun.
Get some lube on the slide and frame rails, the locking lugs and FLGR. Stainless steel galling is not too common these days, but no point in encouraging the possibility.

Enjoy!
C
Old November 3, 2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Chowder

Quote:
I see it's a NM prefix. Nice gun, good find... you'll enjoy it. A few things you may or may not be aware of. Humor me if you are.
If it doesn't have an "idiot scratch" on it, and you don't know what I'm talking about... look it up before you disassemble the gun.
Get some lube on the slide and frame rails, the locking lugs and FLGR. Stainless steel galling is not too common these days, but no point in encouraging the possibility.
Hi,
It does have the "idiot scratch" the previous owner learned the hard way and informed me on how to assemble and disassemble the gun without making it worse. It also has some marks on the barrel bushing but nothing too bad for what I traded for it.

I have never owned a Springfield so I don't know the significance of the NM prefix, can you explain?

I have yet to fire it, but any suggestions on proper lubricating a 1911 for when i clean it tomorrow would be appreciated.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
I have never owned a Springfield so I don't know the significance of the NM prefix, can you explain?
Your gun is made mostly in Brazil by IMBEL. Nothing to worry about... IMBEL forgings are good quality. The 'NM' doesn't mean National Match as some would believe but instead means that some (or rather "more") of the machining, including the all important slide rail machining and final fitting was done in the US.
NM marked guns... the Loaded, Trophy Match, Range Officer and TRP tend to be a bit more desirable than N marked guns, because of this variation.

If you ever want to remove the idiot mark... it's a bit time consuming, but not particularly hard.

Ah... sorry, missed that last bit. If you have an light bodied gun grease, particularly a grease designed for stainless, a thin film of that on the parts I mentioned would be nice. The grease isn't mandatory... just a good, evenly applied lubricant will be fine.

C

Last edited by Creeper; November 3, 2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: to add stuff and things...
Old November 3, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
solitude127

Quote:
Your gun is made mostly in Brazil by IMBEL
What other "made in the US" guns have parts made in Brazil?
Old November 3, 2012, 11:46 PM   #6
scottl

Quote:
What other "made in the US" guns have parts made in Brazil
Taurus
Old November 4, 2012, 07:08 AM   #7
J2.

I have the same kind of gun, with the NM. You will be very happy with yours!
Old November 4, 2012, 07:11 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Congrats on the gun. Looks great, should shoot better than it looks. Lucking into a USA assembled NM model makes it even better.

I own a TRP and Springfield really makes some nice 1911s.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:19 AM   #9
scottl

Quote:
the Loaded, Trophy Match, Range Officer and TRP tend to be a bit more desirable than N marked guns, because of this variation.
You do know that Loadeds can also be N prefixed?And if one actually reads into the whole N vs. NM debate on a Springfield forum they'll see it's a lot like MIM debate.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:30 PM   #10
kimbers rule

Very nice looking pistol. Does it have a full length guide rod? I havent got to finger a springfield 1911 before.
Old November 4, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Creeper

Quote:
You do know that Loadeds can also be N prefixed? And if one actually reads into the whole N vs. NM debate on a Springfield forum they'll see it's a lot like MIM debate.
Yeah... the whole thing is a non-starter issue from my perspective. I guess there's folks that need to make mountains out of mole hills. A good gun is a good gun... is a good gun, and I don't need a SN prefix or a name scribbled on the slide to make that determination for me.
It would be like saying IMBEL makes good forgings, but some how they're incapable of precision machining?

C
Old November 4, 2012, 03:37 PM   #12
David13

That is a nice looking gun. And if it shoots good ...
I never heard anything bad about those guns. In fact, all I ever heard was the Brazilian made was good quality.
I think they are assembled and distributed from Illinois.
dc
Old November 4, 2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Chowder

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm usually not very concerned about exactly what factory my guns are made in as long as they are from a reputable company but its nice to know the NM prefix can be a bit more desirable.

After one trip to the range today I have to say I understand what all the hype is about now with the 1911. I never thought any gun would contend with my Smith model 18 as being my favorite firearm to shoot. I almost exclusively shoot double action hand guns so it took me a few magazines to get used to a nice crisp single action trigger but the first time i pulled it I had a smile on my face. This is also the first .45 I have owned and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of recoil, It was more of a shove than a violent snap. I was a bit worried about recoil after having problems with my hands that required surgery.

Quote:
Very nice looking pistol. Does it have a full length guide rod? I havent got to finger a springfield 1911 before.
Yes it does have the full length guide rod. It is a bit of a pain to take down and reassemble but I'm sure that is due to me being new to 1911's.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I found a couple good videos on Youtube on proper cleaning and lubing of a 1911 which was a help. I'm used to my Glock not being very picky about lube and cleaning so I want to make sure I am taking car of this fine firearm properly.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Creeper

Quote:
I understand what all the hype is about now with the 1911
Hook set... reeled in... gutted and ready for the pan.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:25 PM   #15
Chowder

Quote:
Hook set... reeled in... gutted and ready for the pan.
My wallet sure doesn't need me to become obsessed with another type of firearm but I am already thinking of getting a RIA 1911 to learn how to do my own work on it haha.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:38 PM   #16
Creeper

Quote:
I am already thinking of getting a RIA 1911 to learn how to do my own work on it
More pan ready than I thought.

First tool to buy is... these.

And this little compendium is kinda handy too.

Have fun,
C
Old November 5, 2012, 11:47 PM   #17
Chowder

Holy Information batman! Thanks for the link. Ill have to check those books out as well.
Old November 6, 2012, 03:58 AM   #18
9mm

I got the same one but the standard mil spec, really like it, and works well with kimber 22lr kit!
idiot scratch/marks are on mine around the take down lever. Mine is super hard to work, I use a pen to punch that retaining roll-pin thing back into the long pipe.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:57 PM   #19
dwhite

Quote:
Quote:
What other "made in the US" guns have parts made in Brazil
Taurus
The TCP is the only Taurus pistol made in the states currently. Everything else is still made in Brazil.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

All the Best,
D. White
Old November 6, 2012, 05:20 PM   #20
AdrianVall

Very nice piece! I wanted that Springer before I bought my Kimber.. my LGS didn't have one, but I still LOVE my Kimber.