The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 30, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1
troy_mclure

hornady jhp/xpt for personel defence?

the only "good" ammo i can find is hornady jhp/xpt. as i understand this bullet is "old tech" and often used for hunting loads.

i am verry impressed by its accuracy, my groups with this round are tighter than with hornady tap(lr), federal hydrashocks, and magsafe "swat" rounds.

does anybody carry this round for personal/home defence?

how about hunting? does it work well?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 31, 2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Jim March

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=404295
Old December 31, 2008, 12:53 PM   #3
TacticalDefense1911

From the tests I've seen performed on Hornady's XTP loads, the bullets seem to perform a little inconsistently in terms of expansion and reliablity of expansion after penetrating barriers. My opinion has always been that the XTP is an excellent hunting bullet but just a so-so self defense bullet. It was designed for hunting first and foremost. Is the Hornady the only you can find locally? There are plenty of suppliers online with very good prices on ammo such as Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST. What caliber are you looking for?
Old December 31, 2008, 02:37 PM   #4
troy_mclure

40 S&W.
there is now NO 40 ammo locally.
and most on line stores are out of .40 SD ammo.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 31, 2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Superhouse 15

Online ammo

They have some excellent loads in stock. I was very impressed with the HST. I normally carry Cor Bon 135gr in .40, but it has a lot of blast and kick in the Kahr I carry it in. When I run out I'll probably switch to the HST. Many PDs around here use the Gold Dot in 155 or 180gr weights. I've never been a big fan of the XTP. I prefer expansion from my SD ammo (thus the 135gr JHP) and the XTPs seem to underexpand for me.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...low-point-ammo
Old December 31, 2008, 07:48 PM   #6
RamSlammer

I like XTP for certain calibers like .380 ACP and 9mm Makarov just because they don't expand that well, but penetrate good. For anything bigger, there are weightier bullets that both penetrate and expand better than XTP.
Old January 1, 2009, 01:21 PM   #7
ghosst

I use Hornady Critical Defense FTX in my .380 carry and Fed Premium LE HST in my duty weapon.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:25 PM   #8
jaymag

xtp 9mm mak.

I did some wet phone book tests with these rounds.They expanded picture perfect every round.A great big mushroom!I don't understand the other replies.The lead is perfect for the right expantion.They also shot very accurate.I felt very safe with the whole package.