The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2008, 08:32 PM   #1
delta58

Test weights

Where can I get a good set of test weights for a triple beam balance? I know the digital scales are probably the way to go but my RCBS balance is still functional. Even though it is 30 years old.
Old July 10, 2008, 09:15 PM   #2
kkb

Midway has 'em.

Small set:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=212586

Big set:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=612694
Old July 10, 2008, 09:16 PM   #3
2spurrs

Delta58
I have a set of weights from Ohaus that I have used for many years. It weighs from 100 mg to 50 grams. Just Google them and check their offerings. other sources ?Ebay?
I have also used simple coins for check weights. The dime & penny are standard enough in weight to be a good check.

Ohaus® General Purpose Weights
Ohaus Brass Weights and Weight Sets are economical, quality weights for educational use. Individual weights are available from 2000 g to 1 mg. Weight Sets are designed to achieve any total mass by combining smaller masses.
Old July 10, 2008, 09:57 PM   #4
armedandsafe

I got mine from Lee. I immediately made copies of each weight in brass and stashed the originals. I check the copies once a year or so. Works for me.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old July 11, 2008, 11:00 AM   #5
brickeyee

Most lab type check weights are much more expensive than the typical reloading sets.
They hit exact numbers for all the weights.

For checking a reloading beam scale the value of the weight needs to be known exactly, but it does NOT need to be exactly a particular value.

The pieces of wire used for smaller weights come with a table that shows the EXACT weight of each one.
Old July 11, 2008, 11:19 AM   #6
TimRB

"I have also used simple coins for check weights. The dime & penny are standard enough in weight to be a good check."

Well, duh! Why didn't I think of that? You should put this in the "reloading tips" thread. (...If it's not there already--I haven't read the whole thing in a while.)

Tim
Old July 11, 2008, 01:20 PM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
I have also used simple coins for check weights. The dime & penny are standard enough in weight to be a good check.
Uh-huh, but what do those coins actually weigh? OIC what your scale tells you they weigh! I suppose if the scale tells you they weigh the same each time they're used, it confirms the scale still works, but you don't REALLY know what they weigh.

Check weights are a know value. If your scale tells you they weigh something else than what they're supposed to weigh, you have a problem that needs addressing.

I have the check weights in the first link by kkb. I use them for my RCBS digital scale. I could also use them for a ballance beam scale IF I were to get one again.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 11, 2008, 03:16 PM   #8
TimRB

"Uh-huh, but what do those coins actually weigh?"

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...specifications

They don't say what the tolerance is on the coin weight, but they spec it out to the nearest milligram. 100 milligrams is about 1.5 grains, so probably a brand new coin is a pretty decent weight standard for us handloaders.

Tim
Old July 11, 2008, 07:19 PM   #9
delta58

All good information. I just wanted something to check my balance with since I haven't done any reloading in years. I am guessing that it should be pretty accurate since there really isn't anything that would drift like the electronic type. Maybe just from dirt over the years.
Old July 11, 2008, 07:43 PM   #10
zxcvbob

A recently-minted dime weighs 35 grains. If I recall correctly, a nickel weighs 5 grams. Both are good enough to use as check weights for reloading. (I wouldn't trust a penny because they keep changing the recipe.)

Write "35" on a dime with a Sharpie and keep it with your scale so you use the same one every time you calibrate it. HTH
Old July 12, 2008, 02:51 AM   #11
jimkim

I posted this on another site. I have three scales.All three weigh dead on using a dime and quarter. Both coins are new. I marked them with a sharpie and put them away.

check your scale for $1.85

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do any of you have check weights for your scale? I use new coins. Old coins may be worn. They may also be made of better materials.
The new dime weighs 35.0005gr,
the quarter is 87.5013gr,

the half dollar is 175.002gr

the new fake gold dollar is 125.0001gr.

These numbers came from the US Treasury dept and a gram to grain calculator. I have more than one scale and cross check mine with these weights.
Old July 12, 2008, 09:14 AM   #12
itman

Check ebay.
Old July 12, 2008, 09:26 AM   #13
zxcvbob

When is the last time you saw a half-dollar?
Old July 12, 2008, 09:53 AM   #14
ocharry

before i got a set of weights with a new scale,,i always used bullets for different weights,,,,one was a 53 gr. match 223 bullet and one was 150 gr. match 7mm bullet

the dime and quarter thing sounds good too

ocharry
Old July 12, 2008, 10:40 AM   #15
itman

Quote:
When is the last time you saw a half-dollar?
Just ask for them at the bank. They will give them to you.
Old July 12, 2008, 06:23 PM   #16
jimkim

Just ask for them at the bank. They will give them to you.

+1 You would be surprised how many coins they have. Hahahaha J/K
Old July 13, 2008, 11:10 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

dumped my retirement fund

I splurged and bought an under-$30 set of Scale Check Weights from Lyman.

I literally use them every time I set up my scale, without exception.

See, that way I actually know what my scale is reading.

So I suggest saving up those coins being used for scale calibration and buying actual weights.

I know, silly me, spending all that money on safety equipment.
Old July 13, 2008, 12:09 PM   #18
snuffy

What doesn't seem to be getting through to some is the fact that what something is SUPPOSED to weigh, has nothing to do with what it actually weighs. So a dime is supposed to weigh 35 grains. Does it? If a scale says it does, that still doesn't mean it really does.

Take that dime to a place that calibrates scales, have them weigh it. THEN you will know it does weigh 35 grains, but maybe it only weighs 34.6! If so, then you are inducing a .4 error into your powder charges.

Another consideration is you have no way to see if your scale can accurately weigh something as small as .5 grains. With the Lyman set, you have small weights like .5, 1.0, 2.0, and 5.0. Then the bigger ones are 10.0 and 2 @ 20.0 Added up they come to 60.5 grains.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 13, 2008, 03:40 PM   #19
jimkim

If you weigh them on several different scales and they show the same weight doesnt that indicate at least a small degree of accuracy.

" Take that dime to a place that calibrates scales, have them weigh it. THEN you will know it does weigh 35 grains, but maybe it only weighs 34.6! If so, then you are inducing a .4 error into your powder charges."

That is a good idea. Then write down the weight and you will have a check weight. I would suggest going to a jeweler. They should have the expensive check weights there. While your there you can take a paper clip and cut off different lengths for the small weights. I havent done that yet. I just thought about it. I guess I'll be going downtown tomorow.

Last edited by jimkim; July 13, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old July 14, 2008, 01:10 AM   #20
Ifishsum

I have a related question -

Check weights will simply tell you if your scale is accurate, right? If it's not, can you calibrate it? The only adjustment I know if is the zero, so if my scale were to be off when checked that means I need to replace it?

I have two scales and from time to time compare a powder charge weight on each to give myself a degree of safety, but reading this thread reminds me that I should check them. I understand rechecking them if they were dropped or something but otherwise how common is it for them to just become inaccurate?
Old July 14, 2008, 02:23 AM   #21
jimkim

That is a good question Ifishsum. I know to keep them clean. I have often wondered how to calibrate a scale myself. I think you can adjust the scale by using the small screw in the large poise to adjust the beam's center of balance.I don't know if that is the right term. I would probably take it to an old jeweler and ask them or send it to the manufacturer. I would be scared to mess with it myself, but I think that is how it is done. Maybe WESHOOT2 or snuffy will know.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:00 AM   #22
WESHOOT2

what I do:

Let's say its 9x19.
I want 5.1g Power Pistol.
I place my 5g calibrated weight in the pan and adjust my scale to read that.
Then I add the .1g on the scale; it should then read a bit light (because I only have 5g in the pan).

But let's say I want 7.3g Universal Clays for my 151g bullet / 357 load.
I start with 7.0g of calibrated weights in the pan.
Then I adjust the scale to read that.
Then I place another .5g calibrated weight in the pan and ensure my scale reads THAT.
I figure at that point I'm good.

If something doesn't work right with my scale, an RCBS 505, I would then send it back under warranty.

So far, a 'few' years now, so good......

(Mostly --currently nine-- I have set, calibrated, and dedicated powder measures; I have one Dillon empty for 'other', and my single-stage-mounted Hornady/Pacific.)
Old July 14, 2008, 11:09 AM   #23
snuffy

Well, since I use a RCBS digital, I use my Lyman set to see if it is reading what it's supposed to be reading. In other words, I run the entire set of check weights through a sequence, if it reads each one correctly, then I'm good to go. The digital needs 10-15 minutes to warm up before I begin to use it.

There's also a set of calibration weights that come with the scale. Those are used if I move the scale to another location. It never seams to need calibration, but I do so on a regular basis. I have a simple lee scale that came with a chalanger kit I bought for decapping/sizing boolits. I sometimes do a check against the digital, it's always right on! Also, where you sit the scale has to be level.

As far as a balance beam scale, the zero is usually adjusted by the leveler screw underneath. IF the zero can't be adjusted, there's usually a place in the pan support to add/subtract weight to get it to zero. That's a factory setting made by whoever checked it out in quality control before being packed up. If the scale won't read correctly after being sure it's on a level surface, then it's time for a trip to the factory. The knife edges of the pivot point need to be real clean. Also undamaged. Most good scales have agate balance points and hardened knife edges.

Old July 14, 2008, 10:25 PM   #24
langenc

The bank will not give them to you.

I asked a Brinks delivery guy last week for some 'samples'. He really had a dumb look on his face.

1 Gram=15.432 grains
Old July 14, 2008, 11:46 PM   #25
jimkim

Thanks snuffy and WESHOOT2.
langenc Your bank wont give you change. All of our local banks will give you rolls of coins in whatever denomination you ask for. I never thought I would hear that. I wouldn't try to get "samples" from any armored car driver.Your lucky you didn't get arrested.