The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
Rickstir

Sling mounts for my 870P

I want to put a sling on my 870P, the kind that will hold a few rounds. I see what appears to be some sort of mounting bracket on the front, but nothing in the stock. So I will have to drill, right? It is a synthetic stock. This bracket under the forearm is square with some sort of a hole, (the gun is at home and I am at work). I am assuming this is for the sling but it could it be for something else like a light? My 870P is stock standard, right out of the box.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old December 13, 2005, 06:43 PM   #2
USMC Tanker

Specter Gear

I would check out www.spectergear.com. They've got some good 3 point tac sling solutions for the 870 and pretty much anything else you might have. It's compatible with both standard and aftermarket buttstocks. Instead of having shells on your sling or in a side-saddle (I don't like how it effects the balance), I got a buttstock shell holder from Specter Gear. It puts a little bit more weight in the back, and with my 870P Max, it helps to balance out the Surefire forend. Hope that helps.
Old December 14, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3
USMC Tanker

forgot to tell you, the Specter slings come with a front-mounting bracket for their slings. It's really simple, it just slides in between the magazine tube and the barrel, really sturdy. I'm VERY happy with my sling.
Old December 15, 2005, 02:28 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

Just in case you've never used a sling that carries spare ammo on it, consider that the weight on the sling throws it all over & can very easily get in the way if you need to be using the shotgun in a hurry & moving it around while doing so. Also harder to remove shells in a hurry.
Had one years ago, gave it up in disgust. Better ways to go.
Denis
Old December 15, 2005, 07:37 PM   #5
TN-popo

+1 for DPris.

Shotgun ammo slings are one of those things that seem good until you actually use one.

check out...
www.mesatactical.com
www.danieldefense.com
Old December 16, 2005, 05:37 PM   #6
shoot870p

he is right

got to agree with DPris on this also.