The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1
300magman

3.5" 12ga BB vs BBB for Max Range Geese

I guess it comes down to a denser pattern or heavier pellets.

I'm interested in trying some of the Black Cloud ammo, but if something of comparable price might be a better option I would consider suggestions.

Chokes are not part of the equation, I am already in the process of picking up a variety for pattern testing. And I'm not really interested in any of the "heavy" weight shells that cost a fortune.

Targets are Canadian Geese and I'm going for all the range I can get (due to the set up I will be hunting from)

Any suggestions from those who've had experience with longer shots on geese would be very much appreciated.
Old November 2, 2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Virginian

For any steel, 10 gauge for maximum efficiency at maximum range. But, I ended up shooting buffered 'T' shot in the 12 and then the 10 also for the best results. I did not do any ballistic gelatin penetration tests or forensic analysis of the deceased birds, but in my case, I can tell you that 'T' shot produced more clean kills. Even bigger difference on swans. You may need to do quite a bit of playing around with chokes to get the tightest patterns as well. Approximately Improved Modified was it for me. A few thousandths ACTUAL constriction versus your bore matters.