The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 21, 2015, 03:34 PM   #26
deanodog

Very nice. I also love ruger single actions.
45/45lc

Old February 21, 2015, 10:32 PM   #27
tallball

Great choice! I love mine. Since I don't reload I usually shoot the cheaper and easier to find 45acp. To some people such as ourselves, the SA revolver grip has less felt recoil than other handguns in similar calibers. I have never had trouble shooting SA revolvers accurately - I am just as inaccurate with them as I am with anything else. Since I grew up shooting a Ruger Single Six, SA revolvers feel natural to me. And, btw, that would be a fine choice for a his and hers 22/45 set!

Here is mine. You can probably tell that it's wearing the 45acp cylinder.

Last edited by tallball; February 21, 2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old February 22, 2015, 01:14 AM   #28
TheFlash

Excellent choice! I have the stainless version of that convertible in 45Colt/45ACP. And, it's the firearm of choice that I always bring with me to the range to shoot.
Of all revolvers and semi-autos in my collection, that Blackhawk gets the most use and is the most fun. Extremely accurate, too.

Enjoy and know that you made a great decision!
Old February 22, 2015, 02:03 PM   #29
batmann

Only want to add my congratulations on a fine choice. I have the same frame in a 50th Flattop .357 M and it ranks among my favorite revolvers of all time.
I will make a holster recommendation and that is a Galco SAO. I have three of them for my Ruger SAs and, IMHO, are hard to beat. No, they are not 'Cowboy', but you will find that cowboy leather is pretty bulky.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:20 PM   #30
Armybrat

You made a great choice with your Blackhawk, congratulations!

Bought my .357 new in 1968, and it is still a great shooter.

Bought the San Antonio Leather rig at the same time - both the gun & rig cost me $80 together, IIRC:

Old February 22, 2015, 09:43 PM   #31
stagpanther

Other firearms may come and go...but ruger SA's are forever LOL

Old February 27, 2015, 10:44 AM   #32
5thShock

A good, solid iron that will serve you as long as you like. Your warm, available light photographs show it perfectly.
Old February 27, 2015, 11:02 AM   #33
BerdanSS

Quote:
MasterGagne

But I figure being 19 years old, most people assume us young bucks only go for the glocks and ar-15's and whatever else is tactical... Yawn
Welcom!
Glad there are more than a few of us out there with that opinion
while I do have one of the black plastic wonder guns everything else in the safe is wood and steel. Almost every pistol I own now is a wheelgun. Only one is a ruger though. I traded a worn out plain jane 4" ruger mkII even steven for it. (and I got that ruger MKII for free)

Old February 27, 2015, 02:02 PM   #34
Beagle45ACP

Quote:
is there any suggestions on shooting?
Yeah, do it as often as possible.
Beautiful piece btw, and welcome to TFL.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old February 28, 2015, 08:19 PM   #35
AL45

You purchased a great gun and a great caliber and at a great price. I would strongly advise you to start reloading. You will save tons of money, especially on the .45 Colt. As someone stated, stay away from "Ruger Only" loads. The only Rugers they are safe to shoot in are full size Blackhawks, Old Vaqueros and Redhawks. You'll have more fun shooting the milder loads anyway.
Old March 6, 2015, 11:39 AM   #36
tranders

Congrats on the new Blackhawk!

I also am a fairly new Blackhawk owner and love mine.

Happy shooting
Old March 9, 2015, 08:16 AM   #37
Darto

Someday I would add a Rossi lever 92 in .45LC. The '92 was slicker cycling than the 94 (94 took higher power loads of course). John Wayne, Chuck Conners, et. al. used '92s...

You WILL make a profit if and when you sell the flatop on Gunbroker, even figuring inflation...