The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 10, 2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Willihunt

Lever Action (Mossberg 464 in relation to tried and true)

I have not handled a lever action in a tactical (rails etc) format. I like the weight distribution of the wood stocks and don't know how this will translate in a lighter (ugly but cool looking in a way) rifle. The price point on the Mossberg is pretty appealing as well. Any suggestions or advice?

P.S. I don't mind the 30 30 and would mostly like advice on the handling, accuracy, and overall comfort of the gun: if possible.

Thanks Yall
Old April 11, 2013, 11:27 AM   #2
L_Killkenny

The handling of the wood stocked Mossbergs should be very similar to the old Win 94's that they are copied after. Start hangin crap off those stupid, ugly rails and that all goes away.
Old April 15, 2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Willihunt

Thanks for the response

I probably wouldn't tac it up at all. I thought the telescoping stock might be a little odd. Appreciate the advice.
Old April 15, 2013, 10:54 AM   #4
g.willikers

The original design handles so well, it's hard to understand messing that up, trying to make it something it isn't.
How about just getting a regular one and maybe fitting the stock to you and maybe adding better sights, if needed?
Old April 20, 2013, 06:53 AM   #5
valleyforge.1777

There are many firearms / personal security experts who recommend the lever rifle for home defense. Just look at YouTube for many examples, but to name a few, Ralph Mroz, Michael Bane, Steven Wenger, etc. The limiting factor on use of the lever rifle is the ability or lack of ability to add tactical lights and optics. Even the "angle eject" Winchester 94's, and I've got a few by the way, have scope mounting options that are not really useful for anything other than traditional telescopic scopes. Red dot optics can not be mounted to those rifles. Not wanting to start a Winchester vs. Marlin debate, but I will just say that although Marlins can be drill/tapped for more flexible mounting options on top of the receiver, they are more big and clunky, less "handy", than the Winchesters and I would not want to be in the middle of defending myself and have the dreaded "Marlin Jam" happen to me.

So, putting all of that together, there is probably a role for the Mossberg "tactical" lever rifles. I never got one, because I don't need it (have other options for home defense), but I am not opposed to their product and like i said, the concept of the lever action personal defense rifle is a good one that has backing from some of the more practical trainers who do not just fall for whatever the latest craze is at the moment. For example, Ralph Mroz talks about lever rifles for home defense in books and articles from over 10 years ago.

Tags
lever action rifle