The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Zhillsauditor

Walther PPX

Has anyone shot one of these yet and give a review?
Old May 4, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
joe-lumber

PPX

I would love to hear those results as I have a PPQ and I love it.
J
Old May 4, 2013, 11:38 AM   #3
mfreem08

I was wondering about this model too. I casually keep up with new models but saw the PPX at a local gun shop last week. Is this supposed to be the successor to thePPQ?
Old May 4, 2013, 11:43 AM   #4
sigarms228

I
Quote:
was wondering about this model too. I casually keep up with new models but saw the PPX at a local gun shop last week. Is this supposed to be the successor to thePPQ?
NO NO!!

It is a full size more affordable Walther pistol aimed at the entry priced quality pistol market. Interestingly the hammer does not move - at least on the outside. I tried dry firing a PPX and it does not feel like shooting any hammer fired pistol I have ever tried before. The trigger to release the internal hammer is very short and crisp. Feels more like striker fired pistol to me.

The Walther PPQ and P99 are still the flagship of the Walther poly frame pistol line.
Old May 4, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Walther PPX...

I was a big supporter early on of the PPX but now I may wait until they roll out a compact model(for better concealed carry) or they are more available in CONUS.

The PPX hits all the marks for defense/duty sidearms(hammer fired DA only, ambi controls, easy to strip/clean, good sights) but Walther is not a common brand. Holsters, gear, magazines, parts are always a hassle, .

The price is right for a PPX($400-500.00 USD) but I may wait until 2014 or so.

ClydeFrog
Old May 4, 2013, 06:52 PM   #6
TxFlyFish

My gut reaction (i know unfair to the gun) Woa walther licensed hi point
Old May 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #7
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
My gut reaction (i know unfair to the gun) Woa walther licensed hi point
it is ugly, isn't it? it looks close to the ppq, but something is just off about it.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 5, 2013, 12:57 PM   #8
joe-lumber

PPX

I saw one this weekend at a shop and was asking question about if it was DA and if the hammer stayed back. Along came another customer and he said I would not like the trigger. That is all he said and I assume it was about a long trigger pull???

Maybe someone can tell us more?
J
Old May 6, 2013, 12:40 AM   #9

What I would like to know is A. Is this pistol as reliable and accurate as a PPQ ? If it is I'll take one. And for the people that think it looks a bit odd. The whole Walther lineup looks a bit odd. The PPQ is just smaller and just as weird looking.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
The Walther PPQ and P99 are still the flagship of the Walther poly frame pistol line.
Indeed. The PPX is Walther's entry-level pistol priced to compete with pistols like the S&W SD/Sigma, Ruger P95, SIG SP2022, and all those cheap Taurus pistols.

While I'm sure it's a well-made pistol, it's not in the same class as the P99 or PPQ.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:33 AM   #11
elDiabloLoco

Recommend you do a side-by-side comparison at a store. FWIW, the PPX seemed to be much larger in the grip than the PPQ. Fatter than my Ruger P95.

Could be it will fit others better. For me the fat grip was a deal killer.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Bart Noir

So the PPQ and the PPX have hidden hammers? That is a large change from the striker-fired P99 series.

But hammers work. No complaint there.

Bart Noir
Old May 6, 2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Zhillsauditor

I started the thread as I was at the gun store and was interested in seeing a PPX up close. I have a PPQ for which I have a high regard (the only striker fired pistol I've cottened to).

Anyway, I thought the PPX looked ugly in the photos I had seen, but wanted to put one in my hand. However, it is even uglier in person. I couldn't even bring myself to ask to hold it, as I knew I wasn't going to buy it. I'm sorry walther, but it looks like a High Point had relations with a Steyr and the bastard came out with neurofibromytosis.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:10 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

In defense of the defense pistol...

Yes, the new Walther PPX looks like Satan's hair-dryer but in fairness, it has many + reviews on www.youtube.com . Also, the sales reps & marketing execs for Walther America, www.WaltherAmerica.com said it was made for new shooters, those looking for a value & those US gun owners who wanted a pistol with modern features/designs(polymer frame, high-cap, ambi controls, DA only).

As I posted before, I'd wait to buy a PPX Compact or a M&P Shield/Walther PPS type sub-compact if they come out in 2014-2016.

For now, Id think the PPX will be in a niche market in the US.

CF
Old May 6, 2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
So the PPQ and the PPX have hidden hammers? That is a large change from the striker-fired P99 series.
The P99 and PPQ are both striker-fired.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
Patriot86

I held and liked the feel of a PPX but it does nothing that my PPQ won't. I will stick with what has worked flawlessly for a few hundred rounds so far, my PPQ.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
I held and liked the feel of a PPX but it does nothing that my PPQ won't. I will stick with what has worked flawlessly for a few hundred rounds so far, my PPQ.
FYI - replacing a PPQ with a PPX would be akin to replacing a BMW M3 with a base-model Mini.

Both come from the same company and both will do the job reliably, but one operates at a much higher level of performance and looks sexier doing it.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:57 AM   #18
Patriot86

The pricing wasnt all that different though, PPX @ My LGS is $150.00 less than the PPQ...doesn't make any sense to buy the PPX over the PPQ given the very minor difference in price point.
Old May 9, 2013, 06:59 PM   #19
cdsdss

My video review

For what it's worth...

http://youtu.be/9VRapOhmHNU