The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 23, 2012, 08:00 PM   #1
DBLAction454

Just bought my first AR!

So I just purchased my first AR.

A Daniel Defense DDM4 V5.

I've been reading that Daniel Defense is a quality brand and a good choice but I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience?

is this a good choice?

thanks
Old October 23, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
FrosSsT

Daniel Defense makes a great AR. I have no first hand experience, but from the research I have done they are high on the ladder.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Creeper

I've used DD parts for several years and worked on others complete DD guns. For a standard production rifle, DD guns and parts would be considered "first tier" quality... so, enjoy, you did good!

C
Old October 23, 2012, 08:42 PM   #4
P11100010

Thanks for starting the same thread I was about to. I too am new to AR's and have also recently purchased a DD M4 V7 after doing heaps of research.
Today was my first opportunity to put some rounds through it. Shooting PMC .223 55 grain FMJ. 20 round magpul mags. I had multiple 'failure to load' where the round would partially seat and the bolt would not fully close. I cleared removed the round and reset with three different magazines and still had the problem. The charging handle feels loose as well. The gun goes to the smith tomorrow after only putting 40 rounds down range.
Hope you have better times.

Last edited by P11100010; October 23, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
The gun goes to the smith tomorrow after only putting 40 rounds down range.
Make sure to post in this thread what was found... I'm sure there will be an interest in the information.

C
Old October 24, 2012, 06:16 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Thanks for starting the same thread I was about to. I too am new to AR's and have also recently purchased a DD M4 V7 after doing heaps of research.
Today was my first opportunity to put some rounds through it. Shooting PMC .223 55 grain FMJ. 20 round magpul mags. I had multiple 'failure to load' where the round would partially seat and the bolt would not fully close. I cleared removed the round and reset with three different magazines and still had the problem. The charging handle feels loose as well. The gun goes to the smith tomorrow after only putting 40 rounds down range.
#1, did you clean and lube the DD before going to the range, new guns ship covered with a rust preventive and it's needs to be removed and the gun lubed before firing.

#2, PMC .223 55 grain FMJ is not 5.56 NATO that the DD is designed to operate with. A new gun should start with full power ammo like M193 or M855 for break-in. After a hundred rounds or so you should be able to use the lower powered PCM .223 ammo.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
austinjunks

ddm4v1

I have a ddm4v1 I have never had a ftf but you should always break in with high quality ammo and its my pref to shoot my Daniel with the bolt dripping wet never had a problem ever running dirty tula ymmv also call Daniel they not only make great guns but have some awesome cs
Old October 27, 2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Rifleman 173

You might want to consider getting a scope for your rifle and/or tactical sights such as a Millett DMS-1 scope or EOTech mounted on it for those "close range social engagements." That way you have electronic sights for close range work, a telescopic sight for longer range shooting and BUIS (Back-Up Iron Sights) for if or when the other sights aren't working or appropriate for some reason.

Also look up the history of ACOG and SUSAT sight systems so you'll know where they come from and how they developed and could apply to you and your rifle.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Quentin2

I love my Daniel Defense V3 style upper. No issues with it. I also often use DD LPKs. Highest praise from me.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:23 PM   #10
austinjunks

eotech, scopes, and magnifiers oh my

Or you could become proficient with iron sights and not blow a pay check on optics. It's a tool learn to use, don't pile stuff on it because its cool.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Fishbed77

Good choice!

Daniel Defense make a great product. I'd put them on the same level quality-wise as Colt, BCM, and Spikes, so they are in good company.
Old October 31, 2012, 05:33 PM   #12
bfskinnerpunk

Just a few months ago, I was seeing the V3 for $1290 (grabagun), now the same rifle is north of $1,500 and not seeing it anywhere for less than that.
Old October 31, 2012, 07:26 PM   #13
austinjunks

My lgs informed me DD prices have sky rocketed in the last month or so not just retail but what they pay. They expect MSRP to be upwards of 1900 for a complete rifle and aprx 1650 otd.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Old October 31, 2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Naterstein

Quote:
Shooting PMC .223 55 grain FMJ. 20 round magpul mags. I had multiple 'failure to load' where the round would partially seat and the bolt would not fully close
Before you blame the AR, you may want to do some google searches for 'Magpul PMAG 20 issues'. These magazines seem to have some issues with some rifles similar to what you are having. The 20 round PMAGs are still on their 1st generation while the PMAG 30 rounders on on their 2nd (and very soon their 3rd) generation. If you can, you should try a 30 round magazine to see if you get the same results with FTLs. If it is the PMAG 20s, contact Magpul; I've read that they are trying some fixes on these problematic mags.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:25 PM   #15
P11100010

I dropped the DD M4 V7 off at the gunsmith last Friday but it has been a bit bananas in this area with 'Sandy' barreling through. The first thought was gas rings, although won't know final result until after the test shoot.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:41 PM   #16
p loader

Quote:
Or you could become proficient with iron sights and not blow a pay check on optics. It's a tool learn to use, don't pile stuff on it because its cool.
What's wrong with optics, it has nothing to do with being cool and more about making things easier on the user. Of course one should learn how to shoot irons but there is no "law" that says you must shoot irons for X hours before being allowed to transition to an optic.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:54 AM   #17
mitranoc

Have any pics?

Interesting.... I've had the same issue with a P20 mag...while using PMC 55 grain? I've never had this issue with a P30. Just found the link below for a fix.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...f=124&t=197936

Last edited by mitranoc; November 1, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:39 PM   #18
P11100010

Sorry for the delay because this one seemed to be difficult to diagnose. As it turned out the 'failure to feed' problem was due to a defective bolt carrier. Daniels Defense picked up all the charges for the diagnosis and repair. I was beginning to second guess considering operator error as a prime cause and now glad I got it to the gunsmith quickly.
Old November 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Sweet Shooter

Quote:
P11100010
Sorry for the delay because this one seemed to be difficult to diagnose. As it turned out the 'failure to feed' problem was due to a defective bolt carrier. Daniels Defense picked up all the charges for the diagnosis and repair. I was beginning to second guess considering operator error as a prime cause and now glad I got it to the gunsmith quickly.
In what way was it defective can you explain? What should others look out for?
What style carrier was it?
-SS-
Old November 8, 2012, 07:07 PM   #20
P11100010

I posted this with the info the gunsmith just provided over the phone. When I pickup the M4 tomorrow I'll get the defective parts and how they determined the problem. Next stop will be the range to test for myself.
Old November 9, 2012, 06:08 PM   #21
P11100010

The defect was where the gas key meets the bolt carrier. DD conceded that 300 out of spec units got through before they caught the problem. I requested the bolt carrier, but it had been returned to DD. I'm not happy that 300 got through and I got one of them. I'm a retired GM employee and realize that if ONLY 300 problem vehicles where involved in any quality spill, I may still have a job. That said I have to give Daniel Defense a "Well Done" for catching a problem and correcting it. No questions asked.