The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2011, 05:02 PM   #1
tahunua001

Citadel M1911 VS RUGER SR1911

hello all.
I have finally decided to give the 1911 platform a serious chance to enter my collection. I like Ruger as a company and the SR1911 is the most raved over piece I've seen since I became a handgun enthusiast. however I just came across the Citadel M1911 series pistol. they look alright to the uninitiated like myself and they have more options available than the SR1911 for similar MSRPs.
I am much more partial to straight black over stainless but that isn't a real deal breaker for me. the slight differences in price that I've seen(about $50 up or down) are not enough to sway me one way or another.

so here we go:
1. how is citadels reputation for quality?
2.how is the fit/finish for the m1911?
3. has anyone owned or at least shot a citadel M1911? what kind of lasting impression did they leave?
4. how is their customer service compared to Ruger?
5. if anyone has owned or shot both which would you recommend?

I'm looking for a full sized safe queen/range toy in 45ACP. I will not be entrusting my life to it nor will I compete with it. it will simply be a fun gun.

Last edited by tahunua001; November 6, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:48 PM   #2
erob3

I cant speak for the Citadel but I love my Ruger SR1911. It is a great shooter and deserves every bit of praise it's getting.
Old November 7, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Muad' Dib

The SR 1911 is not worth the praise it's getting, it's not even in widespread release. Since it's announced production this past spring Ruger has only managed to ship about 8000 units, with much of the so-called glowing reports being dubious hyperbole from hardcore Ruger fans with little if any 1911 experience. The only real source for all of it's praise is coming from highly suspect gun magazine reviews, gun magazines that will say anything to keep ruger happy, anything at all! Word on the street is that Ruger apparently is unable to produce more than 50-60 pistols per day due to production problems.

Thats not good....
Old November 7, 2011, 10:24 PM   #4
tahunua001

Quote:
The SR 1911 is not worth the praise it's getting, it's not even in widespread release. Since it's announced production this past spring Ruger has only managed to ship about 8000 units, with much of the so-called glowing reports being dubious hyperbole from hardcore Ruger fans with little if any 1911 experience. The only real source for all of it's praise is coming from highly suspect gun magazine reviews, gun magazines that will say anything to keep ruger happy, anything at all! Word on the street is that Ruger apparently is unable to produce more than 50-60 pistols per day due to production problems.

Thats not good....
ugh...can we please keep this civil?
have you ever fired an SR1911? how about held one?
how about a citadel? ever seen one?
you seem to have a very strong opinion about ruger and that's your right but you appear to be a minority. unless you have a comparison between the citadel and the ruger your comments are not exactly running along the lines of helpful and are stearing closer to just wanting to stir up trouble.
Old November 7, 2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Rugerismisticness

Were asking about the pistol, not the production of such. The Citadel is a philipean 1911, with less quality, more machine marks, poorer fit, and no made in USA stamp. Ruger has grade A CS and can machine a straight line on a 1911, that alone should set the score.
Old November 7, 2011, 10:58 PM   #6
JWT

Know nothing about the Citidal but can speak of the SR1911. Have only had mine a few weeks but do not understand Maud' Dibs comments based on my experience to date. I've never had a single malfunction with the gun. It shoots very well - accurate with a minimal recoil for a 1911. The fit/finish is very good for a gun at its price.

Does it stack up to my Dan Wesson CBOB? Not really, but neither does the price.

Does it stack up to my Colt series 80? Yes IMO.

When Ruger comes out with a commander size I'll almost certainly get one.
Old November 7, 2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Muad' Dib

Yes I have held one, yes I've fired one, and how have I not been civil, by sharing an opinion? I merely point out that a very great deal of the hype surrounding this pistol is baseless hyperbole, that the pistol has yet to even see widespread release, let alone earn widespread acclaim due to superior performance, reliability, and durability!

Despite all of the above mentioned deficiencies, we are told by an extremely voiciferous percentage how awesomely magnificent the SR1911 is, just absolutely superb, a supreme accomplishment, yet most of these glowing reports are being issued from sources that haven't even shot a hundred rounds through their respective examples, or work for publications that have told one lie after another about the awesome magnificence of other Ruger product that turned out to be just this side of garbage!

So you be civil! If the pistol is destined for greatness, it will have to earn it the old fashioned way, until then experienced 1911 shooter's such as myself, remain skeptical, especially considering Ruger's track record in the semi-auto pistol market.

Virtually all of the "uncivility" emanates from a hard core fan base that simply will not tolerate dissenting opinion, let alone cautious, careful criticism. I have handled the SR1911, I compared it to the PT1911 from Taurus right here in this forum and was savaged for doing do, even though the Taurus is fabricated from forgings, while the Ruger is investment cast, and MIM, the only prts not cast or MIM being the slide & barrel....

If it was me, I'd opt for the Filipino 1911, it's the product of forgings, the ones I've handled were quite respectable for a $400.00 -$500.00 1911. I'd wait at least 12-18 months on the Ruger SR1911, trust me, $600.00-$750.00 for the Ruger is way to high....
Old November 7, 2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Muad' Dib

Sure, now we're hearing that it stacks up with a Colt 1911, Ruger a company that has issued one dog after another, is now putting out superior 1911's to Colt's!

That from a guy who has had his Ruger for a few weeks! Thats what we call baseless hyperbole....The pictured 1911 is a Colt Government model, AKA the "Rail Gun." Ruger makes nothing even remotely close to it's quality level...

Last edited by Muad' Dib; January 25, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Sgt Pepper

Filipino forgings....?
Old November 8, 2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Scimmia

Quote:
that will say anything to keep ruger happy, anything at all!
Quote:
other Ruger product that turned out to be just this side of garbage!
Quote:
Ruger a company that has issued one dog after another
Sounds to me like someone has a serious problem with Ruger, not with this pistol.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Boatme98

Sounds to me like someone has a serious problem with Ruger, not with this pistol.

There ya go!
Old November 8, 2011, 10:48 AM   #12
Silent Bob

Muad' Dib's expertise on metallurgy can be demonstrated by the fact that he claims the Citadel is produced from forgings when in fact it is a (gasp!) investment cast frame and a slide extruded from barstock. Small parts are cast or MIM, no forgings. Anyone who claims Ruger makes "garbage", in my opinion their opinion on anything is immediately suspect.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:53 PM   #13
9x19

A pistol-smiths detailed review of the SR-1911 can be found here:

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...-SR1911-Review

For those who like to skip to the end:

Quote:
Overall, I was and am impressed with this gun out of the box. I'm not going to bother shooting it another couple of hundred rounds to see if it will fail. Instead I'm going to modify the things that I feel need to be fixed and sell it as my work with this particular piece is done for now. I hope it was as educational for you as the reader as it was for me as the smith. I personally would have no hesitation in purchasing one of these Ruger SR1911's at this time to shoot, enjoy and maybe even fix up for an everyday carry around gun if I was looking for something on a budget or just wanted something that was less expensive for outdoor use. It is, in my opinion at this time, an excellent value for the money.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:34 PM   #14
tahunua001

alright let me say a few words.
I recently joined 1911addicts.com when I started seriously researching them. although this is website has only been up and running for a few months they already have quite a few members and their MODs are very knowledgable. they are not funded or backed by Ruger in any way shape or form that I can tell. they place the SR1911 in a category above the Citadel which I found out is a successor to the Charles Daly line and is indeed manufactured by Armscor. although it is a good quality economy model GI it it does not meet the same fit finish quality that ruger does.

I am not a seasoned 1911 shooter that is why I'm asking the veterans. I really could care less about the quality of a Colt or high end Kimber in comparison. I own a model1 AR15 and a DPMS Sportical. many AR chest thumpers will tell me that both of my rifles are... how did some one put it on here? oh yes, "this side of garbage" and that I need to get a Colt or S&W. however with my extensive experience with Colt M16A3s from my service in the Navy and the Bushmasters that I used for my "M4" qualifications that I would take my DPMS over any Colt or Bushmaster any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I dont care who has a good reputation or a reputation that should not have been earned from such a short lived service life. I care about spending my hard earned dollars on a gun that will go bang and if it does break, the company will fix it. so far I am getting a nod to both of my criteria for the Ruger and a nod to the first from the Citadel. yes I'm sure to someone that lives, breathes, eats and sleeps 1911s that a ruger or a remington will never live up to a Wilson or a Colt but to someone that started with ruger 22/45s and moved straight to berreta M9s and springfield XDMs... I see little difference between a rock island and a kimber other than a few small asthetic changes.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:23 PM   #15
ET.

I looked at those guns and ended up with a Springfield Range Officer. Nice gun. I couldn't get my hands on the SR1911 & the Remington Enhanced R1 was the same price as the Springer. Each has it's own pluses & minuses. Many SR1911 owners love their guns... as do many Taurus owners. If it's a 1911 you can probably talk yourself into loving whatever it is that you own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maud' Dib:
If it was me, I'd opt for the Filipino 1911, it's the product of forgings, the ones I've handled were quite respectable for a $400.00 -$500.00 1911.
The Citadel (from Armscor) has a cast frame & the slide is extruded. Taurus pt1911 & SA RO are forged in Brazil. The different Armscor 1911s out there are good guns for the money. Lots of owners are happy with them.

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/i...itadel-m-1911/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001:
I see little difference between a rock island and a kimber other than a few small asthetic changes.

Last edited by ET.; November 8, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old November 8, 2011, 03:29 PM   #16
tahunua001

ok so help the newbie out. what's all this stink being raised over cast vs forged?

E.T.
haha dont be offended, the only way I can tell a CZ75 from a Beretta 92 is the location of the safety...I guess my attention to detail just sucks.
Old November 8, 2011, 05:30 PM   #17
Adamantium

1911's started out with forged frames but many companies have switched over to cast frames because they are cheaper to make. Some people care, others don't. I've got my own opinion on the subject but thats the long and short of it without any bias.
Old November 8, 2011, 05:39 PM   #18
tahunua001

so I take it that it's a lot like the billet vs died recievers in ar15s? where one is slightly stronger but the odds of anyone having to rely on that strength are greater than winning the powerball?
Old November 8, 2011, 06:10 PM   #19
KyJim

Good quality cast frames will serve you well. You can get into a debate about forged versus cast but the frame takes relatively little pounding. The slide is a different story and Ruger uses a forged slide.

BTW, Ruger, through its subsidiary Pine Tree Casting, has made Caspian frames for years. Caspian frames are often used for custom builds.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:21 PM   #20
tahunua001

alright guys. thank you all for your posts(yes even MAUD, DIB).
I have decided that for the minimal difference in price I would be much better off with the ruger.

I have read all the bashing and smashing comments and am very familiar with the ruger compared to any other 1911(including their affiliation with caspian) and thank that may have had a lot to do with my decision. I would like to continue the thread however by shifting subject just a little and ask if I would stand to gain anything at all besides asthetic looks by having it Cerakoted?
Old November 8, 2011, 06:21 PM   #21
Colvin

I think that most people here would agree that, in this particular comparison, Ruger wins. I would go with it.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:48 PM   #22
9x19

Cerakote has a good rep, but I don't really see any added utility to be gained by adding it over a stainless gun.
Old November 8, 2011, 07:03 PM   #23
WVsig

I have to ask what I consider a reasonable question.

Why does everyone feel the need to get an out of the box gun with all the "bells and whistles"? How does a first time 1911 shooter know they need a beavertail? What advantage will a skeleton trigger give the shooter? Do you need that extended thumb safety?

If you have not shot 2500+ rounds how does one know? The consumer these days seems to want all these custom features right out of the box. IMHO this misses out on the best part of a 1911.

For me the 1911s hidden beauty is the ability to make a gun for you using the exact parts you want. With the exact features you want and nothing more nothing less. Yes it will cost more but it will be truly "custom".

I personally recommend for a 1st 1911 your first 1911 a Colt 80 Series Govt. They can be had for $699 to $800 depending on your market. Take this gun and shoot 2500 to 5000 rounds out of it. This is will give you a good feel for the platform in its stock format. This pistol will serve as a frame of reference for you and help you determine what mods you might want to make down the road.

It will help you buy the right 1911 down the road. If you want it all and have to have it right out of the box for under $700 I guess the the Ruger is as good as any.. LOL.
Old November 8, 2011, 07:21 PM   #24
tahunua001

I dont necessarily want all the bells and whistles. I prefer polymer guns because of the simplicity that many of them offer. a glock(though I'm not a fan) is quite simply a "draw and squeeze" gun. no safety whatsoever except for the trigger and you dont even notice that it's there. I feel the sameway about XDMs. you never have to adjust the sights, they come zeroed from the factory. the grip and trigger safeties are disengaged while drawing and firing. metal on plastic does not require that special fitting, special lube, cleaning every 100 rounds or so. they are easy to learn, easy to maintain and have a lot more fault tolerance. I've pulled glocks(again not a fan) straight out of the box and fired without as many issues as a broken in, lubed, but dirty 1911. I'm getting the 1911 because I am trying to broaden my horizons as a shooter.

several months back I applied for the show "top shot" just last month I learned that they were actually considering me and wanted me to try out but I was deployed and unable to check my civilian Email and so they closed the auditions/tryouts before I was able to respond. this is what got me thinking about what I would do if someone handed me a 1911, a revolver, a bazooka? this is why I'm going with the SR1911. it might not be the baseline but it will be the closest to a competition gun I can get for the price I am willing to spend.
Old November 8, 2011, 08:52 PM   #25
ltc444

With 1911s I don't get hung up on brand. i look for a mil spec model. An out of the box MIL SPEC will hold all rounds in the 10 ring at 50 yards. If it does not achieve that feat then it is not mil spec.

Shoot bunchs of rounds until you know what you need. Having shot over a 100,000 rounds from 1911 of all make, variants and modifications, I have settled on a GI 1911 manufactured in 1913. The only modification I made was a signature grip.

My recommendation is spend less on a "rack grade" weapon and more on ammo.