The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1
WillyBow8

Finding the Cases

I'm getting old (and maybe blind too) but when I go to the range, shooting anything from 9M to 45ACP I am having a devil of a time finding the brass in the dirt and grass (autoloaders only obviously). I even stop after each shot and try to watch where the brass is going (you can imagine what this distraction does to my accuracy). If I shoot 100 rounds I consistently lose 15 to 25.

Do you guys have any tricks to help with this?
Old June 2, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Scrapperz

You might want to lay a tarp down if you can Willy, if feasible.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:03 AM   #3
riverwalker76

When I'm here on my property shooting I tend to watch where the first few cases land. Then I lay down a blue tarp and let that catch them from then on out. It has cut down on my 'grass combing' by 90%.
Old June 2, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Mike-Mat

The outdoor range I go to has benches. They provide movable dividers for the auto shooters. Their really simple. Take 2 Bar clamps.....
http://www.toolplanet.com/product/36...p-00405/clamps

... and run a piece of tarp or fin mesh net between them.

It quickly clamps to the bench. It's easy to move where you need it. It's not too expensive. Keeps you brass from bouncing off the guy next to you.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
drail

I have always just used a tarp but I have seen other guys use things like a large piece of bug netting suspended from the rafters with a box under it and a large fishing dipnet mounted vertically on a camera tripod with a coat hanger inside to hold it open. Worked pretty well actually. Use your imagination.
Old June 2, 2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Crankylove

Take somebody with you to watch the brass..........my nieces and nephews work great for that purpose.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:20 AM   #7
grumpa72

As suggested, get a cheap tarp and set it up in the area where you observe your brass falling. I got a 8X8 tarp from Harbor Freight for under $6 and I never lose my brass now.
Old June 3, 2010, 10:03 AM   #8
grubbylabs

Wow This is amazing I just lost a bunch of brass while out shooting on public land. I did not think of a tarp. What a great Idea.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 3, 2010, 12:02 PM   #9
BigJimP

They actually make and sell - brass catching nets .... bulls-eye shooters seem to use them quite a bit. You just have to place them properly so the brass ends up in the net - but that's not a big deal if your stance and gun position are consistent. I supppose you could make one up as well - with some plastic pipe and fine netting ....

A beach towel works pretty well too .. vs a tarp ...when the cases hit the blanket - they don't skid around as much as they will on a tarp / or a 6' piece of fabric / an old sheet or whatever ....
Old June 3, 2010, 12:18 PM   #10
ZeSpectre

the nice thing about the net designs is that they don't tend to blow over in wind as badly as a solid tarp.
Old June 3, 2010, 12:25 PM   #11
oneounceload

If you're hanging something, a CLEAR shower curtain works well and allows folks to see next to you. I have used a tarp, a small homemade device when I shot from the bench, and I have swept the area clean before i shot (concrete behind me) so I could find mine.

You think 45 is tough? try finding 32ACP in a pile of .22s!.....