The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 14, 2008, 02:19 PM   #26
Socrates

Every gun is loaded, except my 22lr rifle. The .357 360PD
is great for around the house. Throw it in a pocket, and you forget it's there. Feels like a cell phone. It's also great for taking a bath. Scandium doesn't concern me, rust wise.
Old July 14, 2008, 02:45 PM   #27
DMacLeod

I'll never tell...
Old July 14, 2008, 04:25 PM   #28
grymster2007

We keep at least one loaded gun on each of three levels of the house. They're fairly well concealed and an intruder, unless he got real lucky, would have have to spend some time finding any of them.

I'm not going to pack a gun around on my person, in my house unless I've identified an imminent threat.

If I lived in another neighborhood, maybe I'd carry in the house, but not in my situation.
Old July 14, 2008, 04:31 PM   #29
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
A question for those of you that leave multiple loaded guns strategically placed throughout the house:

Are you concerned that a bad guy might find one and use it against you during a home invasion?
No.

Quote:
If the proper thing to do is hole up in a room with a gun and wait for the police, doesn't that leave a criminal with the opportunity to find one or more of your guns and come after you with a greater degree of force?
I know my house better than a burglar does, and having been broken into once while I was at home and asleep (Dobermans woke me up) during my LE days, I didn't call the police until I was ready for them to come haul the garbage out.

It's a "to each their own" situation. If you've had training on how to search for a bad guy and you KNOW the premisis you're searching, it's your call. If you don't, then hole up and wait on the cops to show up.

Me? I have zero faith in the what pases for "police" in our suburb. They'd stand a better chance of shooting my dogs, my wife and me than the obvious bad guy wearing a mask and t-shirt that read "ARMED HOUSE BURGLAR."

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old July 14, 2008, 04:34 PM   #30
thallub

Quote:
Are you concerned that a bad guy might find one and use it against you during a home invasion?

Not at all. Sometimes I cannot find all four of the S@W Model 10s that are in this house: Or is it five?
Old July 14, 2008, 10:10 PM   #31
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Me? I have zero faith in the what pases for "police" in our suburb. They'd stand a better chance of shooting my dogs, my wife and me than the obvious bad guy wearing a mask and t-shirt that read "ARMED HOUSE BURGLAR."
That is unfortunate, but true in far too many communities, a few of which are around here.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:00 PM   #32
Frank Ettin
Staff

I have several loaded guns around the house. They are in lock boxes with finger touch combinations. My wife and I can get to them quickly, but they are inaccessible to unauthorized persons.

I also believe in remaining in a place of safety and waiting for the police, as long as all innocent occupants are accounted for and with me. By going hunting, I expose myself to possibly being flanked or ambush, especially if I'm not absolutely certain how many BGs are around. I would also impair the protection of other occupants, and protecting them is my primary mission. Of course if an innocent occupant is unaccounted for, I would have to look for him or her. As I've mentioned, however, I'm not worried about a BG getting one of my other guns, since they're locked up.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:22 AM   #33
ActivShootr

Quote:
Not so much when I'm home as when I'm not. I feel more comfortable with the idea of a theif trying to get that bigass safe out of the house than just wandering around picking up guns at his leisure.
Old July 15, 2008, 06:34 PM   #34
cnutco

I keep my normal ccw close by in the house. All others are in the safe. I do plan to get a Rem 870 for the bedroom.

Just have to be carefull with a 13 year old daughter. She respects guns, but still she is 13.
Old July 16, 2008, 06:07 PM   #35
Chui

The firearm that's the most accessible is the one in your holster which is somewhere on your person.
Old July 17, 2008, 09:15 AM   #36
jackmcmanus21

I keep my standard next to my bed at all times, no questions asked. I have a shotgun downstairs ready to go if need be. I think 2 is enough for my modest house.
Old July 17, 2008, 02:56 PM   #37
Th0r

This thing has happened before.

Where burglars have broken into a house and found a gun, and used it against the properties owner.

Also Non-Burglary Killings have occurred similar in Nature...

All I can say is if I had guns around an about the house; Loaded of course this would be a large concern for me.
Old July 17, 2008, 04:26 PM   #38
Tombstonejim

Leme see
1911 in my bed stand
Rossi 94 carbine on my wife's side
Winchester 270 in the office
45-70 in the spare bedroom
870 in the laundry room
Colt 44-40 wherever my wife leaves it.
Ain't no turkey illegal gettin in my house.
Old July 17, 2008, 05:59 PM   #39
Chui

I was always taught - and consider it prudent - to have any weapons not in your DIRECT control to be locked away...
Old July 17, 2008, 06:12 PM   #40
Nnobby45

Quote:
Where burglars have broken into a house and found a gun, and used it against the properties owner.
I've read many an article on many sites, and in my local newpapers, as well, and have not yet come upon an incident where a burglar broke in and rummaged around until he found a loaded firearm and used it against the home owner who'd been oblivious to the intruder.

Leaving a loaded firearm unsecured where it can be easily found is another matter. That's called arming the intruder, and has little to do with strategically placed loaded firearms that can be used to the home owners' advantage.
Old July 17, 2008, 07:51 PM   #41
aggie01

Here's my routine: Come home from work, lock loaded pistol in safe (I have two little tricycle motors that are very curious.) Put kids to bed, put pistol, flashlight, and cell phone on nightstand. I also keep an unloaded Rem 870 12 ga under the bed with four in the tube, ready to go. I also make sure things are put up so that I don't trip over anything if something happens. The Mrs. does the same routine when I'm not home.
Old July 17, 2008, 08:28 PM   #42
JohnKSa
Staff

I think I recall one incident where a homeowner came home to a break-in in progress and was accosted by the burglar who was armed with a gun stolen out of the house. I can't find the link. It doesn't seem that common. If one is going to base their level of concern on how often it happens it's probably not sufficiently frequent to prompt one to change one's habits.

I do recall a serial killer whose M.O. was to enter a house, arm himself with a knife out of the kitchen which he then used to attack/kill the female occupant. That's probably a lot more likely given that knives are always "loaded", easy to find, and always present in any house.
Old July 17, 2008, 09:43 PM   #43
AdamSean

Here is a strategy that I just thought of. It is best to stay in a locked room and call the Police. However, if there is any reason to leave the room, say, a loved one is in another room in the house, think smart. I have only one gun unlocked and loaded at a time in my house. I think I may actually start hiding spare magazines in various places around the house. That way, the BG might only find a magazine and not my gun.
Old July 17, 2008, 10:13 PM   #44
TripIII

Easier to keep one with you.

Should you scatter them around the yard too?
Old July 18, 2008, 04:52 AM   #45
J.Smith

I like the idea of having multiple biometric safes around the house. The compact gun safes (can't find the link now), are perfect for stashing around the house. In my apartment I have my new to me XD .45, and my new .38sp Taurus 85. The XD stays loaded and unlocked in a lock box next to my bed. The .38 is in another lock box unloaded but with 2 speedloaders in the same box. There is a second loaded magazine for the XD in my top dresser drawer. Since I cannot carry on campus (which I protest daily) when I leave the guns are unloaded and the magazines are locked up in my ammo box. I have curious drunken college roommates who aren't the pride of the gene pool.
Old July 18, 2008, 08:04 AM   #46
Jmacinnis1

fiddletown is right...

I would say fiddletown hit it right on the head. If multiple guns are NEEDED around the house, they should be in safes that allow quick access to the intended users and slow down those who should not be accessing the items inside. I like the idea of having the firearms loaded and in separate rooms, but you also do not want unauthorized people accessing those firearms, burglars or not (kids, neighbors, etc.). They can be loaded and locked in the safe so if they are quickly needed, a quick punch of the buttons and you’re ready to protect yourself on the way to the safe room.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again…
Old July 18, 2008, 08:16 AM   #47
dabigguns357

guns

All but one gun stays in my bedroom and loaded,My kids are taught not to enter my bedroom unless told to.I do keep my 357 loaded and on me at all times. my wife will come in from work sometimes and laugh at me because i'm doing the dishes with a 357 strapped to my hip and a towel over my shoulder but hey if getting laughed at is the worst thing that happens to me so be it.
Old July 20, 2008, 01:20 PM   #48
Rant Casey

I have loaded firearms stashed all over the place in my house. None of them are somewhere a bad guy is going to instinctively look for valuables. I have no children and live in a very secluded area with no houses near me so I'm not worried about neighborhood children sneaking into my house. I for one am not going to be caught in the bathroom while someone is breaking into my house intending on harming me without a weapon. The one underneath my bathroom sink however is in a quick access safe. You can call me paranoid, but in the event of something awful happening, police simply cannot get to my house in the winter time if there's snow on the ground without 4 wheel drive, and even then it's a very LONG journey. I'm paranoid I guess. Right now, in my office I have an AK-47 in my locking closet and a hi-point cheapo POS in my locking desk drawer not to mention my carry sidearm on my hip. Upstairs is the AR-15 with an eotech and surefire light and Mark 23 socom. In the closet sits a Benelli m4 and a Saiga-12. I'm not hiding in my bedroom if someone breaks into my house, my bedroom is not bullet proof, nor is it fireproof and my girlfriend is a paraplegic who is not jumping out of a window and making a retreat any time soon. Once my alarm triggers, police are on there way but I have no idea how long they're going to take. She's on the phone with 911 and i'm down the stairs with the AR in my boxer shorts and no shirt. God help you if I get to my safe. There's no hiding out in my bedroom while police arrive and the law states i have no duty to retreat within my own home. I've worked too hard for the things I have in my life for some slimeball to take them away. As for clearing the house by myself.. I've cleared a lot scarrier less familiar rooms than my own looking for people far more trained than your average junky trying to steal my tv. I'm fairly confident in my ability to be able to safely detain anyone breaking into my house barring a mob of blood thirsty canibals trained in CQC.
Old July 20, 2008, 01:40 PM   #49
TPAW

I've heard some say that they leave a loaded handgun on the night stand next to the bed. Good idea? Yes? No?....What if the bad guy gets into your room and grabs it before you are aware of his presence? Like me, I'm sure many of us are heavy sleepers.
Old July 20, 2008, 01:41 PM   #50
Rant Casey

Get a good alarm system and a locking bedroom door. A good loud watch dog never hurt either.