The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 3, 2008, 01:48 PM   #26
Lurper

I compete in single stack division with my carry gun (Taurus PT1911). I carry all of the time. As far as reliability goes, the notion that 1911's are unrealiable is a relatively new notion. 1911's have enjoyed a reputation for reliabilty throughout their history. I can show you a Para .38 super with about 1 million rounds through it that is still reliable. My Taurus (.45) went literally 21000 rounds without a single malfunction. When it did malfunction, it was bad ammo. 3,000 rounds later, the trigger job went to crap and I replaced the sear and hammer. Other than hammer, sear, trigger, mainspring housing and mag release button, the gun is stock. Having shot lots of 1911's over the years, the only ones I ever had trouble with were the ones worked on by gunsmiths who didn't know what they were doing.
Old February 3, 2008, 01:56 PM   #27
DMK

I'd like to see folks try this with their NAA mini or Keltec P3ATs.

When I was shooting USPSA, I shot my Colt CCO quite a bit. I did well with it and it sure reinforced my confidence in the weapon. My other gun was my CZ40B, which gets car duty very often. I never did try my 642, or any other revolver though. I don't know why I never considered it. I only ever saw one guy compete with a revolver, and he had a tricked out full size Performance Center gun. I'll need to set something up for my 642 and SP101 next time I'm the only one at my local range.
Old February 4, 2008, 11:48 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

The IDPA magazine has a letter about the BUG division being screwed up because some folks shoot short barreled SW 66s, Model 10s, etc. He thinks it should limited to J frames and similar pocket snubbies (Colts, Taurus, Charter Arms).

I think he is correct but IDPA when blah, blah. They should come up with an IDPA realistic pocket like the box for BUGS.

Also, it depends why you shoot IDPA. IPSC is a total fun game and some trigger practice - no reality to most of the guns. Who walks down the street with for 33 round double stack mags in front of their pants with a gun with the Hubble telescope on the top and the Holland tunnel for a mag well?

But it's fun.

I shoot my 1911 in IDPA for FTF and malfunction practice.

Being a FOG is useful because I don't get crazy about shaving a microsecond off my time by preplanning each step. I just lumber over to the next target.