The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 17, 2013, 01:15 PM   #26
Sarge

Old Vaquero in 45 Colt... mostly holster wear.

Old June 17, 2013, 03:13 PM   #27
Hawg

You can prevent the idiot scratch by using a thin piece of cardboard under the slide lock or like one lady does, she carries a guitar pick with her to put under the slide lock while positioning it. Mine has a slight idiot scratch too.
Old June 18, 2013, 06:22 AM   #28
wheelyfun

I'm TRYING to get scratches on my Springfield Armory GI model!!
Old June 18, 2013, 08:27 AM   #29
Spats McGee
Staff

Put that Champ in a holster and carry it, wheelyfun! You'll get some nice, sexy holster wear on it soon enough. Given that your location is listed as Vermont, that ought not to be a problem (legally speaking).

Good lookin' gun, by the way!
Old June 18, 2013, 08:57 AM   #30
Grant D

I also learned the hard way with the idiot scratch on my first 1911. A parkerized Llama Mini Max that I paid $265.00 for, and I touched it up with cold blue, and it works realy well.
I don't have them on my Colt 1911, or stainless Springfield Champion Loaded, thank goodness I learned better on the Llama!
Old June 23, 2013, 09:02 PM   #31
lilychef

Hey, guys! New to the forum... Great posts, thanks. Just discovered a slight scratch on the slide of my BRAND NEW parkerized SA Mil-Spec 1911... It didn't seem too deep, but no amount of rubbing would get it out. But a few swipes with a Mr. Clean magic eraser took it right off. Sure, I probably took some of the finish off in the process, but the scratch is gone and it's pristine again. I agree that wear and tear will only give this gun more character, but I'd rather it be "normal" wear than a scratch from my dumb a** letting it clang against something. Just my two bits.
Old June 23, 2013, 09:09 PM   #32
James K
Member In Memoriam

You can prevent the "idiot mark" by 1) learning how to install the slide stop and 2) not buying a gun that won't allow it to be installed properly.

Jim
Old June 23, 2013, 09:21 PM   #33
lilychef

This is my first 1911, and I really don't understand the idiot scratch thing... The first time I reinstalled the slide stop, I read the manual, and when it didn't push right in like it said it would, I just took a small screwdriver and depressed the plunger. It was only after reading the forums that I even discovered the term, "idiot scratch"....
Old June 24, 2013, 08:57 AM   #34
Don P

Over on the 1911 site there is a modification to the slide lock that works great and makes installation easy WITHOUT THE IDIOT SCRATCH
www.1911forum.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:44 AM   #35
lilychef

Scroll down to ol shooter's post from 6/11/13 http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...tch+fix&page=2