The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Dogpatch

Big Green R1

A word about Remington.
A few years ago on impulse I purchased a Remington 1911 R1. Have been shooting it a few times a month ever since either in my yard or at ranges. I feed it everything, 185 & 230 JHP, 200 cast SWC's and of course 230g. hardball. The gun just eats them all. Even with my 71 year old eyes, it will cloverleaf three shots out of five at 25 yds with the wadcutters.
Anyway, I recently noticed that the grips were missing the little silver medallion with an "R" in the center, must have fallen out somewhere within 50 miles of my home. I sent Remington an e-mail asking if I could purchase two more little medallions, not that my gun is a collectors piece by any means, it just looks a little better with the inserts. the same day I received a reply stating that the grips were out of production and have been for a long time. Bummer.
Three days later I received an envelope containing two brand new grips ! Nice to know some companies still value their customers.
Thank You Remington.
Old October 25, 2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Wishoot

That's nice to hear.

Haven't come across too many positive Remington customer services reviews lately.
Old October 25, 2014, 03:07 PM   #3
bricz75

Quote:
A few years ago on impulse I purchased a Remington 1911 R1.

Quote:
Haven't come across too many positive Remington customer services reviews lately.

A few years ago is when they first came out. Perhaps they were being more careful then compared to now when building them? Wasn't the Taurus PT1911 good initially, with quality going downhill as time went on?
Old October 25, 2014, 04:57 PM   #4
lamarw

I have also enjoyed my R1 and had a very pleasant Customer Support experience.

It was not because there has been any problems with the pistol. My R1 came with the Platinum Warranty Plan. With this plan, Remington ask the buyer to return the pistol within the first year for a free factory inspection and cleaning. They paid the shipping both ways and the gun was out of my possession for a total of six days.

I am now simply waiting for an R1 off the assembly line in Huntsville,
Alabama. Then I will have one stamped Ilion, NY and one stamped Huntsville, AL.
Old October 25, 2014, 08:08 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Are they stamping them "Huntsville, AL"? AFAIK, their headquarters is still in Ilion and that is what they are marking the guns.

Jim
Old October 25, 2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Armybrat

Bought this one last month - it is marked Ilion:

Old October 25, 2014, 10:35 PM   #7
lamarw

You could be right Jim. I do not know and will have to email Remington and ask the question. This leaves me disappointed. On the other hand, it will save me some bucks.

I doubt production has started in Huntsville.
Old October 26, 2014, 08:19 AM   #8
Ibmikey

I purchased a blue R1 when they first came out and about a year ago a forged stainless R1. Both will eat ammo like Rem was paying for it, are 1911 accurate (meaning better than what I can do with them) and in many hundreds of rounds have provided trouble free operation....what more can I ask?

Tags
1911 , remington r1