The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 11:36 AM   #1
funtime1911

Sig or Kimber

Looking to get s new 1911 and wanted to know what shooters prefer Sig or Kimber?
Old January 21, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
BoogieMan

Love my Kimber. I havent shot Sig. I do the ratle test with all 1911's. Kimber was the only one I found under $1500 that didnt rattle
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 21, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
dgludwig

In terms of build quality, workmanship, reliability and value, I much prefer the SIG (my opinion should be taken in the context of never having owned a Kimber; my experience with Kimber is limited to having shot a friend's Kimber pistol and having handled them @ gun stores and shows). I think that Kimber makes a good pistol and I doubt you'd go wrong with picking either brand. My favorite models in the SIG 1911 line-up is the STX and the TTT (both are priced well under $1,500.00 and neither of the many specimans that I have examined had a hint of a rattle )-though both are a mite heavy for ccw duties.
Welcome to The Firing Line, funtime 1911!
Old January 21, 2013, 02:29 PM   #4
bikerbill

Never owned a Sig, but I love my Kimber UCII ... carries lightly, very accurate, I've never had a failure of any kind in three+ years of ownership ... very happy ...
Old January 21, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5
BigJimP

There isn't a big difference in the 2 mfg's....but a couple of notes:

1. Sigs have a different slide dimension and won't fit most 1911 specific holsters.

2. I think all the Sigs have an external extractor ...some Kimbers do or did at least.....maybe its a big deal to you /maybe not ( to me I prefer the internal extractor ) but its not a deal breaker.
------------
I have a couple of Kimbers ....decent guns / not great (Gold combat stainless II 5" and a Tactical Pro 4" ). Mass produced guns...internal parts aren't great. Tac Pro model had a crummy trigger out of factory - a little creep, and a catch in it before it broke / I threw out all the internals and replace with Wilson Parts.

I do not own a Sig ....but I've fired a variety of their 1911's...all pretty good guns. I might give the edge to Sig in their 1911's - if I was looking for a moderately priced 1911 - between the 2 mfg's.
------------
On a budget ...other guns that should be on your list ....Colt and Springfield. I'm surprised at the new Colts - how good they are / in triggers especially. Springfield has been doing a pretty consistent job for awhile.
----------
In high end 1911's ...Wilson Combat and Ed Brown are #1 and #2 in my view...but you're up to at least $ 2,750 ...and maybe a lot more...
Old January 21, 2013, 04:45 PM   #6
pete2

Never owned a Sig. I was not impressed with the ones I've handled, triggers were awful. I own a Kimber, it didn't work new, I had to dimple the slide stop first. Trigger lousy. I also own 2 Colts and a Springfield. I'sd rather have another Colt than a Kimber or Sig.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:07 PM   #7
EdInk

I'm just curious as to why you haven't considered a Springfield Armory?
Old January 21, 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
bigghoss

Quote:
I'm just curious as to why you haven't considered a Springfield Armory?
This. I've heard a lot of reports of both sig and kimber having issues. Sure SA has had a lemon slip out a few times but their customer service is top notch.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Ben Towe

I absolutely love my Sig Platinum Elite 1911. It's extremely accurate and reliable, and it certainly doesn't rattle. I haven't actually owned a Kimber but I wouldn't be afraid to buy one, and in fact probably will buy one of their 10mm models at some point. SOME Sig 1911s, mine included, have a slightly different slide profile. They do require modification to some composite holsters such as Fobus. It fits my leather Galco just fine and a few minutes with the Dremel on the Fobus made it work fine too. Sig Sauer also makes Traditional 1911s that have classic profiles, they do have external extractors though.

Last edited by Ben Towe; January 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Marquezj16

I love my Sig 1911 Tac Pac. Dang near perfect for me. Never had a Kimber so no opinion about their guns.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:11 AM   #11
kimbers rule

Never held a sig 1911 but Ive had no problems with the kimbers.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Skadoosh

Shot both a Kimber and a Sig 1911, side by side, for an entire afternoon range session: a Kimber Tactical Entry I and a Sig Scorpion. The Kimber was nice (I prefer the black finish over the Scorpion's desert tan finish)...but in my opinion, the Sig simply felt and performed better than the Kimber. The Kimber shot fine with two minor feed malfunctions while the Sig performed flawlessly. The one thing that really stood out between the two was that the Sig was freakishly accurate.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:05 AM   #13
BillyJack3

Just went through a similar decision making process. Also had Springfield, RIA and Colt on the list. The Colt I was looking at had fixed sights that would have required smithing to change out. The Springfield had target sights that I didn't care for. The next model up was $1800 for a TRP, also out of the question. The Colt was nice but didn't feel quite right. The RIAs get great reviews and you can't beat the price. It didn't stack up to the Sig though. The Sig felt like it was made for my hand. Solid build.

I got the Sig, took it to the range, put 100 rounds down with only 1 FTF in the first mag. I'll chalk it up to break in. Very nice 1911. I still want a Colt for historic value but I'll be looking for a used WW2 model when the time comes.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Fishbed77

I considered both SIG and Kimber.

I bought a Colt Government XSE instead.

I have never regretted it.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Skadoosh

Quote:
I bought a Colt Government XSE instead.

I have never regretted it.
I suspect you wouldn't have regretted the Sig or the Kimber either.

They are both excellent 1911's.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
rodfac

Forget the advertising hype and inflated prices for guns that may or may not work for CCW, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX AS THEY SHOULD, and get a Ruger SR1911 or its new stable mate, the Commander length. Of all the .45's I've owned over the years, most of them Colts, and all of them tricked out or gun-smithed to one extent or another, the Ruger SR1911 is the best. Here's a pic from its first day on the line. And it came with all the features you'd want on a good carry piece, with none of the mall ninja, arm chair commando BS.

JMHO, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Rabbitt

I have both. Two Sigs and 2 Kimbers. Along with 2 RIA and a Magnum Research 1911s. Just picked up a new Sig Stainless in .45 but have not been to the range yet with it yet but I am not anticipating any problems.
The only one I had major problems with was the Kimber Tactical Entry. Enough that I sent it in on their dime and received it back within a week. All the problems were solved so I do like their CS. My Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry ran great out of the box.
The Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911 I have found to be the most reliable and accurate so far. And it is half the price of a Kimber.
Still waiting for the Ruger SR1911 to be available here in Nebraska.
BTW. My 1911s are chambered in .22, 9mm and 45.
I looked at both the Sig and a Springfield Extended side by side and had a rough time deciding between them. Went with Sig for the Stainless.
I would say find the one that feels right to you and looks good to you and go for it. :-)
Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Fishbed77

Quote:
I suspect you wouldn't have regretted the Sig or the Kimber either.

They are both excellent 1911's.
I agree, but there were a few features that pushed Colt to the top for me over the Kimber and SIG.

-Didn't care for the external extractor or slide profile of the SIG.
-Colt has fewer MIM parts and general concensus is that QA is better than Kimber.
-Price of a Colt is about the same, and well, it's a Colt. Yes - that last part had a lot to do with it.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:25 PM   #19
funtime1911

I have not ruled out SA or Colt even. Just trying to find actual shooters with the Kimber and Sig. I know several with colt and SA but not any with the other. I would love to find a Springfield Champion but seems to be hard to find as are most Commander style 1911.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:04 PM   #20
BGutzman

I like the looks of Kimber but have been reluctant to invest in one based on a fair number of comments in this forum indicating issues. I have never owned or fired one but they are worthy of consideration!
Old January 23, 2013, 01:17 PM   #21
DATL

It seems a large ratio of people I speak with that have Kimber 1911's had issues with them at some point- but did get them worked out. In thinking about it most people I speak with about their 1911's say something about it not feeding this ammo well or that- things I don't hear about with other platforms.

I had a RIA 1911 and it just stopped feeding any ammo at all. It ended up needing an extractor...then back for an extractor "tune".... then feed ramp polish... Then I got rid of it.

So I see problems on both ends of the price spectrum. Are these just 1911 characteristics?

I would be more likely to try Sig next.

Last edited by DATL; January 23, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:30 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer SIG Sauer

Not even a comparison to me.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:34 PM   #23
loose_holster_dan

most people on here know i despise kimbers due to reliability issues.
i don't have experience with the sig 1911's. from what i've heard, the early gsr series had a lot of problems, but the newer ones aren't bad. personally i'd go with a company with a little more positive 1911 history, like colt, springer, dan wesson, or the custom shops.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 23, 2013, 01:37 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
the early gsr series had a lot of problems
The GSR was one of their first attempts at a 1911-A1.

Their new stuff is immaculate.

Quote:
go with a company with a little more positive 1911 history, like colt, springer, dan wesson
I can second that too..makes sense to look at other options also.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:11 PM   #25
Skadoosh

As much as it alarms me to say it, but I would probably be every tempted to trade my Colt Combat Commander for a Sig 1911...I was that impressed with the Scorpion.