The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2010, 02:19 PM   #1
eddyb74

When it rains it pours (Q about Dillon XL650)

Had a ton of problems the other night.

1. Primers jammed in the pickup tube. I cleared it with my muffs on.
New one is on the way.

2. Once I got that taken care of, sat back down and went to place a on the next case, "what the hell is that?" Oh, thats the deprimer. Stuck in the case. Went and picked up a pack yesterday.

I took the die apart and replaced the deprimer. The locking nut was loose so I had to reset the die. It is an RCBS die and it is bottomed out and the cases aren't going in smoothly like they used to.

Is the resizing die supposed to make contact with the base plate?

My second problem is the plate that carries the primers into position. It is jammed up and not turning. There is some loose powder in there and I want to take it apart and clean it.

I cannot figure out how to get the damn thing apart. I took out the two allen head bolts that hold it on the outside. The center pin is what is got me stumped.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:47 PM   #2
snuffy

Good God, you are really not up to speed on reloading are you?! It seems like you're a complete newbie trying to operate a press made for pros. I don't want to hear from those that think it's okay to start out with a progressive.

The primer assembly on the 650 ONLY comes away from the press IF the shell plate is removed. DO NOT TRY TO FORCE IT TO TURN! Once you get it off the press, there's a clip that holds the center pivot shaft in place. You'll,(AGAIN), have to remove the shell plate to get it up and off the press.

You'd better sit down, read some basic reloading manuals, THEN read the whole 650 manual.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 21, 2010, 02:55 PM   #3
eddyb74

Not just starting out. The press belongs to my dad and is at his house. I've been using it for some time now(after years of single stage use).

I wish I knew where the manual is.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:58 PM   #4
rwilson452

press manual:

go to this place I bet you can find it>

http://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html
Old May 21, 2010, 04:16 PM   #5
BigJimP

Wow ...lots of stuff here .....

You really need to read the manual / take this press apart and clean and lube it ( maybe your dad will show you how !!) but in the meantimes ...some hints:

a. There is a set screw on the shaft. Raise the shell plate - its on the left as you look at the front of the press / I don't remember the size of the allen wrench it needs off top of my head ( but its in the manual)...

b. Yes the die in station 1 should just barely touch the shell plate ...again there is info in the manual.

c. all the set screws on the dies need to be tight / which means you need to check every station on the press to make sure its adjusted properly.

d. primer mechanism should be taken off press / cleaned ( remove screw and spring on bottom ) - take out screw - put pressure on top of the mechanism and the spring will loosen up / then remove the rotary plate / clean under it / make sure the tube is clean). I usually completely dis-assemble and clean mine about every 3,000 rounds. If its jammed you've got a primer or someting jammed in the rotating plate.

e. if the shell plate is jammed - you have the center bolt on the shell plate too tight -- and / or the set screw on the shaft is loose ...or some of both .....

f. the press shouldn't have a bunch of loose powder all over it ( not anywhere ) so the whole thing needs to be cleaned and adjusted ....

Again - read the manual - take the press apart and clean it ---and lube where they tell you to lube it ( the shaft, etc ) and use what they tell you to use to lube it .... Make sure you have the right dies for the caliber you are trying to load / the right shell plate, the right locator tabs in stations 3,4,5 ...etc .... please don't just set down and try to crank out reloads on a press that is clearly not tuned up ! - it isn't safe !! Dillons website has the manuals on line - print, and use them please !

Last edited by BigJimP; May 21, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:49 AM   #6
eddyb74

Manual is printed, will tear into it in the morning.

When he got the machine the old man gave me a quick rundown. I've been using it for a few yrs now. It has always worked. Occasionally a primer would not press in, which explains the loose powder.

Thanks for the help.