The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 1999, 09:45 PM   #1
BronzeEmu

Another new guy question. Are either the Lee hand press or Lee Loader kits good for an introduction to reloading? I'd like to get my feet wet before I dive into dropping a lot of $$$ on the good equipment. OR are they so awkward that they would sour me on a hobbie I might otherwise find enjoyable? All opinions welcome! BE
Old November 16, 1999, 09:53 PM   #2
RickC

My first reloading was with a Lee loader for .30 M1. Slow, but satisfying when you take it out and it goes bang.

My second loader was (and is) a Lee turret (non-progressive) which I load .38, .357, .45 ACP and soon 9mm. Again, slow but tons 'o fun if you're into this kind of thing.

I also have a Lee Load All Jr. for shotgun. I don't use it much, but it gets the job done.

If you're going for the experience, you should consider casting your own bullets as well. Greatly reduces your cost and adds to the "I did it myself" thing.

Hope this helps.

ps Midway is a full-line Lee dealer, great prices and they ship free. Cheeck them out at http://www.midwayusa.com

Old November 16, 1999, 10:15 PM   #3
Peter M. Eick

I started out now 21 years ago reloading 38 special and 30-30 winchester with a lead loader kit. I still have the 38 special unit. I used it so much that the chrome came off the dies years ago. I keep it around because of sentimental value, but:

It works! and it works well!
It is simple to use and fun.

I always tell poeple to start with one because it is cheap, simple and you understand the details of what you are doing quickly.

good luck
Old November 16, 1999, 10:33 PM   #4
Contender

I've worked up loads at the range with a Lee Hand Press. Neat little press for portable usage. At home, I'll use it to decap and size pistol brass when I'm not into sitting at the bench. I've also used it when travelling. Beats drilling mounting holes through the dresser in a Hotel room.
Old November 16, 1999, 11:00 PM   #5
Robert Foote

The Lee hand press is an excellent little tool and uses standard 7/8" x 14 dies. I have had mine for about 10 yrs and used it quite a lot for pistol and '06 with good success. I would imagine that you could use only that for all your reloading for a long time to come. I feel just the opposite about the Lee Loader; it will get the job done but is very labor intensive and I never learned to like the sound of primers going off in the priming process. If you do get the hand press for straight sided pistol cases get the carbide sizing die as it will speed things up greatly.

------------------
Old November 16, 1999, 11:51 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Robert, I'm glad you said that about the primers going off. I thought maybe it was only me getting a little too enthusiastic when priming. I used a Lee loader for 30-30 about 35 yrs ago. It did a good job, but be aware that AFIK, it only does neck resizing. I've kept it all these years because I thought that if the SHTF, it might come in handy. That device, some shells, powder, bullets and you have a large supply of ammo in a small kit.
Old November 17, 1999, 07:18 AM   #7
Hal

I've had a Lee turret press for about 25 or so years. It gets a fair amount of use and has held up pretty well. If I were starting all over agin though, I would go with a Dillon. Lee's presses are OK for the light stuff like the .38, which mine does well with. When I resize .44Mag cases, I can see the entire press flex and strain to an uncomfortable point. Next year I am going to buy a Dillon and regulate the Lee to just loading either .38 or 9mm. I do have 4 of the original Lee Loaders, the pound em in and out ones, and agree, they are a good way to get into reloading.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/can.html

Old November 17, 1999, 02:11 PM   #8
Nestor Rivera

Unless portabality is the primafacia reason for the Hand press you can get a bench press kit form http://www.fmreloading.com/press_frame.html
for very little more

Hand kit W dies is $40.94

Challanger Kit $45.91

Anniversary kit $71.99 (that is what I got about 2 years ago with out book for $99

No I don'nt work for F&M
Old November 17, 1999, 05:48 PM   #9
BronzeEmu

Thanks all for the info. I just ordered a Lee Loader kit from F&M in .32acp. Can't wait to get started!

[This message has been edited by BronzeEmu (edited November 17, 1999).]