The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 4, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Sabre9mm

Name that gun

It looks sort of like a bullpup style, has a translucent poly U shaped mag that snaps on top 30 maybe 50 round.

Short thumb hole stock, whole thing maybe 20 inches.

Local shop has one, was too busy to look at today, was going to do some research and try again tomorrow.

No idea what it was called, would probably recognize it if I saw a pic...

Been searching through "top magazine" pics and have not come across it.

Any guesses?
Old January 5, 2013, 12:00 AM   #2
DubC-Hicks

FN PS90? I would post a pic to see if it is, but I can't with my phone.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Sabre9mm

BINGO!.

That is the one, anyone ever shoot one?
and or ideas on function / cost to feed / ammunition availability?

Last edited by Sabre9mm; January 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:17 AM   #4
tahunua001

5.7x28mm ammo is quite expensive as far as handgun/light carbine ammo is concerned. a semi auto will rack up ammo costs very quickly with this particular caliber. pretty much you are restricted to hornady Vmax ammo and doesn't have the greatest ballistic coefficient out there, so it's not that great for hunting either.

I like FN Herstal and I like bullpups but I think your money would be better spent on others such as the FS2000.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5
vandyatc

I have one and love it. It is, shall we say, unique.... It is expensive to feed and ammo is scarce right now. However the patent on the ammo just ran out, so hopefully it will be available in bulk.

Overall, it is a blast to shoot. I love it for home defense (yeah, save the lecture on over-penetration) because its 50 flat shooting rounds trumps most anything else that may get carried in the house.

I've done 1200-1500 rounds without a single hiccup. Ever. It's also very clean shooting and cleaning usually requires nothing more than a bore snake.

I out an Eotech on mine and it is just great.

Again, it's expensive to shoot. 50 rounds will last around 30-40 seconds and cost $25... It's more expensive than a Vegas Hooker to play with a night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old January 5, 2013, 12:29 AM   #6
vandyatc

This isn't mine, but they they obviously all look alike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357363677.130779.jpg (65.7 KB, 41 views)
Old January 5, 2013, 12:35 AM   #7
Sabre9mm

Yes, that is it, they want 1600 for it, I looked at the price tag the other day but have yet to hold it.

Looked very SG1'ish (Closet nerd)

This is what I was wanting before going down there and getting all in love with it.

What ammo I have been able to find is indeed pricey and scarce, but what is not right now, I think I will hunt down a bullpup in the same round/mag as my AR., save trouble packing and stocking.

First order is going to be laying hands on that 1k can of M855 I have been searching far and wide for, use the funds for it instead provided it can be found...
Old January 5, 2013, 12:38 AM   #8
cslinger

In full auto short barrel SMG variants they are a blast and probably pretty capable for certain serious social uses (protection details, vehicle use etc.)

The semi auto PS90.....ehh I didn't really like it all that much. I loved the P90 but the PS90 struck me more as an expensive high capacity .22 magnum. It looks cool, feels neat and is certainly not shooting marsh mellows but frankly I'd rather have a Beretta CX4. Just as cool looking with traditional ammo.

Again the PS90 runs great, is made great and is cool as hell but just doesn't scratch my itch in semi auto 16 inch guise.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:44 AM   #9
Xfire68

I was at Cabelas a few months ago where there was a guy buying one. The sales staff said they could not keep them in stock even at $1800!
Old January 5, 2013, 01:16 AM   #10
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
Looked very SG1'ish (Closet nerd)
Because that is what they used in SG1

Old January 5, 2013, 01:18 AM   #11
tahunua001

^^^ I used to love stargate in my younger years but man that is a cheesy pick if I ever saw one...
Old January 5, 2013, 01:28 AM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
because its 50 flat shooting rounds trumps most anything else that may get carried in the house.
Just how big is your house that you need to worry about trajectory? Or are you comparing it to a nerf gun's ballistics?
Old January 5, 2013, 01:32 AM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
I used to love stargate in my younger years but man that is a cheesy pick if I ever saw one...
The thing that screams Fake! to me the quickest is that soldiers in the field are NEVER as clean as they are in Hollywood's version..... living out of a ruck and washing in a bucket with limited water...... is not conducive to any "good hair days" in a given week.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:45 AM   #14
BerdanSS

I also vote for any "P90" being completely...Meh...unless configured like below with a happy trigger.

Other wise just get a 5.7 upper for an AR..some (like this one) use P90 magazines.

And tahunua001, I agree...BAD pic. Ridge_Runner_5 couldn't you find a nice picture of just Amanda Tapping holding a P90
Old January 5, 2013, 02:04 AM   #15
Ridge_Runner_5

Old January 5, 2013, 07:33 AM   #16
AndyWest

Nice trigger discipline. And hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyatc
However the patent on the ammo just ran out, so hopefully it will be available in bulk.
Do I understand you correctly that 5.7x28 will soon become cheaper? My Five-seveN started glowing at the thought.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:36 AM   #17
globemaster3

Aww... come on RidgeRunner, you can find a better picture than that one as well...
Old January 5, 2013, 11:08 AM   #18
Theohazard

Quote:
I love it for home defense (yeah, save the lecture on over-penetration) because its 50 flat shooting rounds trumps most anything else that may get carried in the house.
If you're using the varmint rounds you won't have any problem at all with over-penetration. Those rounds are great for home defense - very effective on target and at the same time they'll penetrate less through the walls than almost any home-defense handgun or shotgun load.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Sabre9mm

Ok, so what have I learned...

I am not the only one on this site with a thing for Amanda Tapping...

And that the PS90 is a cool but questionable choice for 1600 bucks...

I do like the look of that 5.7 AR upper, I may have to do some digging on that one and wait for the ammo to come down in price and go up in power.

40 gr varmint rounds seem a little light and do not really fit the model of my current collecting, I am looking to keep it simple common ammo types.

That thing is begging though to have it built in a 45 or other handgun cal carbine, I would feed it 9mm all day just for fun...
Old January 5, 2013, 10:20 PM   #20
Sabre9mm

Hmmm, AR57 upper with 11" barrel, 200 rounds, and one 50 round mag on GB...

Tempting, tempting...

Fight the cool look and think practical
Old January 5, 2013, 10:27 PM   #21
JustinBiscuit

I have a PS90 sitting in NFA jail right now. ATF "thinks" April... Can't wait.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:41 PM   #22
Sabre9mm

I passed, as tempting as it looked, it is apparently extremely expensive to feed, and with the ammunition shortage / price spike I would have a pretty toy I could not even play with.

I wish the world would get tired of this frantic buyer stampede and get back down where gun ownership was economical and fun...