The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
jproaster

223 bullets, powder in a 1 in 7 AR

Went to a gun show in Knoxville today. Found a mag or my p238- check. Now on to my desire to reload 223 in my 1 in 7 AR. Asking for help from the vendors, I am told:

A. Under 200 yards your AR will be just as effective with 55 grain bullets than the heavier. You'll need a longer barrel than your 16" past 200 anyway.

And

B. I had suggested to me a military powder-( 844) to reload 75 gr. bthp.
(I bought one pound)
1. Does that powder burn too fast or the weight?
2. What can 75 gr. bthp be used effectively for?

C. $50 for a 380 mag- ouch!

John
Old August 18, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
zxcvbob

I didn't know you could buy just one pound of 844 powder.

Varget is also good, especially with heavy bullets. I've been loading 62 grain FMJ's with it (without steel penetrators.) I bought a bunch of 844 powder to use with 55 grain bullets -- both FMJ's and Hornady soft-points (#2266) -- but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Old August 19, 2012, 06:11 AM   #3
jproaster

Bob,
It was my first attempt to buy reload materials at a show and I didn't do any research beforehand; I didn't have much time and was desperate to find something to spend time with my 16 yr old son yesterday.

The folks selling had the 844 1# white pourable containers and didn't observe the 8#.

My reading so far suggests that 844 is fine for 55 gr. Ideal for 69 on up in most readings was Vargent and RL15.

I ave a friend who reloads 55gr; I'll just pass it on to him.

John
Old August 19, 2012, 07:41 AM   #4
dunerjeff

Varget is a good powder for the .223. If I remember correctly you will be compressing the powder near the upper end.For max velocity another powder may be needed.
The 75gr will be good for coyotes if you sit and call them(closer range) or plinking and such. Not the best for the outer limits of the cartridge(would be better in a bolt gun.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
zxcvbob

844 should be great with 55's and 62's. I have no idea about 69's and heavier, it might be good there too. I was just surprised you found 844 for sale in such small quantities.

If you do find a load that you really like using that powder, just remember the next batch you get will probably be a different lot and may have quite a different burn rate -- you'll have to back off and work the load up again with the new lot of powder.
Old August 19, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
jproaster

Thanks for the info.
John
Old August 19, 2012, 08:18 PM   #7
crowbeaner

Use the data for H335 with WC844. Start 10% lower and work up; if you use military brass, start 15% lower.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:47 PM   #8
jepp2

Quote:
if you use military brass, start 15% lower
It may be necessary to reduce starting charge weight due to lower case volume from thicker brass, but for 223, that really isn't due to it being military brass, Lapua probably.