The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
mnhntr

RCBS uniflow

Who has one and how do you like it? What if any are the tricks? I just ordered one with a micrometer adjustment tool from Midway USA.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:55 AM   #2
JR_Roosa

I have one. No real tricks. Works great. Mine is 30 years old or so and works perfectly. There is a rifle and pistol cylinder for them and I don't know which one comes with it. The pistol goes down to at least 2.7 grains of bullseye accurately (that's as low as I've tried, but I'm sure it will go lower), and the rifle cylinder has a wide range.

The micrometer is nice...I don't have that. It's a pain on mine to get back to a known setting. Takes a few minutes of trial and error to dial it in.

-J.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Randy 1911

I posted on THR.
Old February 13, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

I have 4 of them with both drums for each. I use them for different purposes. One each is dedicated to handgun or rifle only for my 4x4 press. One is bench mounted for use by my Rockchucker. and one is dedicated to hauling back and fourth for at range load development.

They all have the incremented stems for which I record the whole number + the turns following for each load I use. (ex. - 4 + 3 1/2 turns). this will get me right at or on the previous charge for the particular powder that was used. I have found this to be very repeatable by breaking the turns down into 1/8 turn increments. For most of the loads and powders I use, I have found it does not require reweighing the charges to get equal results on the powders of the same lots previously used.

When I head to the range, I pre-measure the powders start and stop weights using the stems numbers and a scale, which are then noted in my load book. Then I know where to start and stop when doing my work ups. I set up for a particular powder and the pre-weighed start load setting on the stem, then simply turn the stem out in 1/8 or 1/4 turn increments or so until I reach the max load or decide that that particular powder isn't going to work out.
Old February 13, 2010, 10:49 AM   #5
howlnmad

I've got one and am very happy with it. It depends on what I'm loading on whether or not I use it. For plinking ammo I wear it out and check about every tenth throw but for my .264, 7mm and 270 I like to weigh each charge. I am considering the little dandy for my pistol loads.
Old February 13, 2010, 10:57 AM   #6
WmCC

Mine has been perfect for 41 years. I use a Butler Creek flip-up lens cap on the powder hopper and a baffle (inside) for consistency.. Wish they came that way. Good Mojo.

LTCOL USMC RET
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Last edited by WmCC; February 14, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old February 13, 2010, 11:39 AM   #7
shooter_from_show-me

I'm happy with mine. Received it with my RCBS Pro 2000 manual indexing press.

NRA Life Member