The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2009, 12:50 AM   #1
DaveInPA

Berry's plated bullets - lead or jacketed data?

I got some Berry's 200gr JHP .45ACP bullets tonight, and I'm wondering if I should be using lead or jacketed load data.
Old February 22, 2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Scorch

Berry's recommends using lead bullet data.
Old February 22, 2009, 01:17 AM   #3
zxcvbob

Lead and jacketed bullet load data generally overlap. That's what you want; that middle area.
Old February 22, 2009, 07:00 AM   #4
DWARREN123

I do 40 S&W and on plated bullets start out at the lower end of jacketed data. As long as I don't run them over 1,000 FPS I have no trouble.
It can also depend on your firearm my XD/XDm will run them accurately at a higher FPS than my Glocks did.
Old February 22, 2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Nnobby45

I use X-treme plated bullets for .45. They recommend jacketed bullet data from the Speer manual. I think at one time, Speer listed loads for plated bullets.

Velocity of plated is very similar (according to my chrono) to Rem. or Win. jkt'd HB using W231 with same powder charges.

I use Berry 200 gr. RNFP's in .44 Special and I use jkt'd bullet data, which, I believe, makes the load more conservative than the harder copper jkt. Because my loads are no where near max., I don't worry about it.

If you stop to think about it, plated bullets are kinda between lead and jacketed. As some have pointed out, a load in the middle, between min. and max, should keep you out of trouble.

I think the hardness of the lead is a bigger factor than the thin copper plating. Perhaps that's why a plated bullet could act more like lead, or more like jacketed. I think the jacketed data might produce slightly less vel/pressure with plated bullets. And the lead data maybe slightly more.

As some have pointed out, stay away from max, and build yourself a nice safe cushion in the middle or more toward min. This is where a chrono can come in really handy. Just remember that, while velocity and pressure are closely related, the chrono only measures velocity, so you can't always assume that a certain increase in velocity doesn't cause a HIGHER increase in pressure. That's why staying well away from max is a good idea if you're going to use bullets other than what's SPECIFICALLY listed in the manual. Still, the chrono is a good guide.

Last edited by Nnobby45; February 22, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old February 22, 2009, 09:21 AM   #6
rn22723

Lead data all the way! Be very carefull when you crimp, so as to not crease the plating!