The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2010, 02:27 PM   #1
DRL1187

Home Defense Gun

I am looking at buying a home defense shotgun and I think I have decided on either a Benelli Nova or Supernova. Any opinions on those choices?

Also, I am trying to decide whether to go with a standard stock or a pistol grip with shoulder stock. I haven't used the pistol grip stock before...anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,

DRL
Old September 8, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
zippy13

Do you mean a pistol grip (conventional) stock, detached pistol grip (AR-type) stock, of pistol grip only?

The conventional grip stock affords the user the most flexibility for a home defense gun. The detached pistol grip stocks are preferred by some LE/MIL types for offensive situations. And, you don't need the conceal-ability of a Pistol Grip Only stock. Search the archives, and you'll find countless posts where owners of HD guns have changed from the original stock to something tacti-cool only to switch back after training with the new stock.
Old September 9, 2010, 07:08 AM   #3
gotigers

If you can, shoot with both traditional grip stock and detached pistol grip. I like the traditional grip stock. Bird and buck shot are all about sight window and cheek weld, so i like shotguns high on my shoulder. It is more ergonomic and comfy for me to use the traditional grip stock.

I was at a 3 gun last weekend. One shooter had a Benelli nova pump, not sure which model. It kicked the crap out of him. The most recoil i saw all day. Remember the Nova's stock and receiver are one piece, you can't change stocks and the benellis are imports. If you change anything you have to worry about the 922r compliance with US parts.

The Rem 870's performed just as good. For HD, i would go Rem 870 18.5" barrel with a +2 tube extension. Plus, you don't need 3-1/2" for HD. 2-3/4" is fine, 3" ok.

This is my dream HD shottie.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
Old September 9, 2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Uncle Ben

If your only choices were pistol grip only, or pistol grip WITH stock - I would definitely say to get the pistol grip WITH stock.

My preference is standard stock only. I can still tuck the gun under my arm at my side if I want to, or quickly raise it to my shoulder for greatly improved accuracy and recoil control...which is why I will not even consider a pistol grip only.
Old September 9, 2010, 10:31 PM   #5
DRL1187

I am not looking for one with only a pistol grip. I guess it would be between the standard stock or the detached pistol grip (the Remington 1100 in the 2nd posters picture.

I didn't know if the pistol grip had any benfit or was more just for looks rather than functionality.
Old September 10, 2010, 12:20 AM   #6
redlevel42

I didn't know if the pistol grip had any benfit or was more just for looks rather than functionality.

It's tacktickle.
Old September 10, 2010, 07:11 AM   #7
lmccrock

The PG stock is better if you think someone may grab the barrel and try to take it from you. However, it sticks out so it may catch on something. Tossup.

Lee
Old September 10, 2010, 09:07 AM   #8
NightSleeper

The pistol grip with stock is actually preferable to the standard grip, but that's just my opinion of course.
Old September 10, 2010, 09:23 AM   #9
ZCORR Jay

Seeing gotigers post I'd have to say I'd consider the Remington 870. I was looking at the Savage Stevens 350 Pump Security Vs. the Ithaca Model 37 Defense Gun but now the Remington might be in the mix.
Old September 12, 2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

870s rock. There's other good choices, but anyone desiring a goto needs to try out some 870s.

And no need to buy new. Few if any of the 10 million 870s built so far have been worn out. The receivers do tend to crack around the 250,000 round mark.

And keep it simple. Addons and accessories cannot compensate adequately for a lack of expertise. Buy a basic shotgun and shoot it until you know it like your tongue knows your teeth.
Old September 15, 2010, 06:08 PM   #11
cdutton

Dave's got it. 870s are cheapish, one of the better quality guns, and hardly have issues. They just do the job, no matter what.
Old September 16, 2010, 04:42 AM   #12
LanceOregon

Quote:
I am looking at buying a home defense shotgun and I think I have decided on either a Benelli Nova or Supernova. Any opinions on those choices?
Don't listen to the others here.

The Benelli Nova and SuperNova are both outstanding shotguns, superior in design and technology to the tired old Remington 870.

Their main limitation is their 4 + 1 ammo capacity. But if you want more capacity, you can easily upgrade that to 6 + 1, 8 + 1, or even 10 +1 by just adding a Briley magazine tube extension to the gun.

These cost from $70 to $80, and are very easy to install. Check them out here:

http://www.briley.com/magazineextensiontubes.aspx

Old September 16, 2010, 07:23 AM   #13
gotigers

Benellis are great guns, but they are imported. There is nothing wrong with Rem 870s. lol. The Nova is a good gun, but not near the quality of the high end Benellis. The Nova's stock and receiver are built as one. You can't change the stock. If you change the Mag tube on Benellis you have to worry about 922r compliance.

Edit: this letter refers to semi autos. but all imported guns fall under some sort of US part compliance. This letter is just making a piont.

Last edited by gotigers; September 17, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old September 16, 2010, 09:09 AM   #14
nathaniel

I have a Benelli Nova I use as a hunting/HD gun. It has a 24" barrel with a patternmaster extended range choke. I keep some 3 1/2" Black Cloud BB in it at all times, At anything under 10 yards it will take out a BG (the longest hallway in my house is 15 FEET, I'm not telling you to use this load as your HD load I'm saying it works for me but I have more 4 legged animals that 2 legged animals around here.) As far as recoil, regular loads arent bad but the 3 1/2" shells have bite. If you get the recoil reducer it helps alot, my 5' 4" mother can shoot 3 1/2" shells in rapid fire without getting off target. As far as reliability I'm picky about my guns they have to go bang everytime I pull the trigger and the benelli hasent hiccuped yet and I'v shot it regularly for almost 3 years. Now to capacity, If you cant hit a BG in 5 shots with a scattergun maybe you should leave the shooting to the professionals or get an AR I hear they have 30 round mags, whip enough lead out there they are sure to run into it.

Oh almost forgot if you get a Super Nova you can switch buttstocks. There are actually alot more accesories than you think, check out the Benelli website.
Old September 16, 2010, 01:54 PM   #15
JNewell

I have owned/own Mossberg, Remington, FN and Benelli defensive shotguns. I would never discourage anyone from buying a good used 870, but I will tell you that with the current rebate, a Benelli Nova Tactical with ghost ring sights can be an outstanding choice. I bought one for $325 after the rebate and the only things I changed were the recoil pad (upgraded to a Limbsaver, like just about every other shotgun I own) and the mag tube (added a Nordic +2 extension).

The Benelli guns run with the best. The thing to be very aware of is that barrels and stocks are OEM only (few/no aftermarket choices) and they are VERY expensive, so get what you want when you buy it (in other words, get the right barrel and right stock). IMO the biggest "advantage" of the SuperNova, the ability to change buttstocks, is not much of an advantage, given the cost of accessory buttstocks.
Old September 16, 2010, 01:59 PM   #16
JNewell

Quote:
Benellis are great guns, but they are imported. There is nothing wrong with Rem 870s. lol. The Nova is a good gun, but not near the quality of the high end Benellis. The Nova's stock and receiver are built as one. You can't change the stock. If you change the Mag tube on Benellis you have to worry about 922r compliance.
922r applies only to semiautos.
Old September 16, 2010, 02:14 PM   #17
Sphawley

Benelli's are great guns, I have a nova and it is by far my favorite shotgun. reliable, strudy, accurate. Its an investment that you will not regret
Old September 16, 2010, 02:28 PM   #18
LanceOregon

Quote:
Dude:

OMG, you did not even bother to read that document that you posted!! How funny is that??

We are talking about pump action shotguns here, not semiautomatic guns The Nova and SuperNova do not fall under these restrictions.

Old September 16, 2010, 04:39 PM   #19
LanceOregon

Quote:
922r applies only to semiautos.
Actually, the restriction only applies to certain semiauto shotguns. It does not apply to them all.

If one actually reads 922(r), you will see that in order for a shotgun to qualify for this restriction, TWO CONDITIONS from the following list have to be present on the shotgun. Just having a magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds is not sufficient on its own.

This is what the law says:

"A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following: a folding or telescoping stock; a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a fixed magazine in excess of five rounds; and an ability to accept a detachable magazine."

So as long as the shotgun has no pistol style grip, does not have a folding stock, or is loaded via a detachable magazine, just adding to the capacity of the magazine tube is fine, as long as it does not go over 10 shells.

The letter that GoTigers so mistakenly referenced and posted refers specifically to a tactical shotgun with an extended pistol grip, thus making it fall under the law.

Anyway, I hope this better clears this matter up for everyone.

And I know this to be a fact and absolutely true, as I own an imported semiauto shotgun with an 8 +1 magazine capacity.

If you go to the Briley website, you will see that they are selling magazine extension kits for many foreign made semiauto shotguns.

Old September 16, 2010, 06:52 PM   #20
spacecoast

But isn't it true that the Benelli Supernova has a conspicuous pistol style grip, so a magazine extension would cause it to meet the two conditions?

Old September 16, 2010, 08:48 PM   #21
LanceOregon

I guess that you are unable to read as well.

Old September 17, 2010, 05:40 AM   #22
spacecoast

Quote:
I guess that you are unable to read as well.
Ahh... I get it. That Benelli has so much plastic I thought there must be something really "special" about it, my mistake.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 17, 2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old September 17, 2010, 07:51 AM   #23
gotigers

Benellis are great guns. Auto or not, it is stil imported. I would not start changing parts. The letter is regarding the auto, yes. Benellis are imported, that was my point. I was not dissing Benellis. Exept for the Nova. The one piece stock receiver is a no go for me.

Being imported you must a have certain number of US parts. So, the letter i posted was not mistakenly referenced. IT WAS MAKING A POINT. I know it refered to semi autos.

To DRL1187: good luck with your purchase. Get info from several sources. The 870 or Mossy 500's are great choices as well. The Remington has sold several million 870's for a reason.

you dont need 3-1/2" for HD.

Do not listen to one opinion fan boys. Be happy they love their gun, but get what you want.

Last edited by gotigers; September 17, 2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old September 17, 2010, 09:49 AM   #24
jgcoastie

gotigers

The OP already stated very clearly that he was considering the Nova and SuperNova.

Referencing LanceOregon's post; 922(r) specifically states:
"A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following: a folding or telescoping stock; a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a fixed magazine in excess of five rounds; and an ability to accept a detachable magazine."

Key word being semiautomatic. We're talking about pump-actions here bud...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 17, 2010, 10:48 AM   #25
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm a long time, hard core 870 fan.

However, you asked about the Benelli pumps.

Good guns. I have few quibbles with them and unlike some Third World makers, Benelli will be around for a good while.

Try one if possible before purchase. Some folks do not like the triggers and the rattle, though I understand that last is easily fixed.