The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 25, 2014, 01:17 PM   #1
TheGunGuy762

Contaction SAAMI

Does anyone know how to contact SAAMI. I've been watching arguments on several forums over whether or not a certain (unnamed for the sake of sanity) cartridge variation is saami and I wish to ask someone who will give an answer not based on opinion.

Thanks

TGG
"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
Old October 25, 2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Scorch

you can go to SAAMI.org and find the contact information. You can also look at the list of cartridges that are standardized by SAAMI and see if your mystery cartridge is there.
Old October 28, 2014, 12:21 PM   #3
TheGunGuy762

The cartridge is there and I looked on SAAMI's website...hence why I'm here. My question is whether or not the throat is part of the SAAMI callout or not. Since the throat has absolutely no bearing on determining headspace or not, i dont think it does. But i need an email from a SAAMI member to confirm this before i start ruffling some serious feathers.

TGG
"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
Old October 29, 2014, 05:47 AM   #4
Salmoneye

Diagrams of not only the cartridge, but the chamber dimensions also, are on the SAAMI website...
Old October 29, 2014, 06:22 AM   #5
TMD

Why do I sense another .223/5.56 debate?
Old October 29, 2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Gunplummer

I called them once (Maybe 15 years back) looking for chamber specs for a .22 Savage HiPower. The guy on the other end told me he never heard of it. I don't know, maybe it was the janitor on the phone, but I doubt you will get an answer that will back You in an argument.
Old October 29, 2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Bart B.

What's a SAAMI "callout?"

What cartridgr?

Last edited by Bart B.; October 29, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old October 30, 2014, 05:39 PM   #8
TheGunGuy762

Its not a 556, its the 6.5 Grendel. A SAAMI "Callout" is the dimensions required to classify a chamber as a SAAMI.

There are 3 popular variations of the 6.5 Grendel: The Original Grendel with the .300" compound throat, the 264LBC with a straight throat and a .295" neck, and the Grendel II with the straight .300" throat.

The 264LBC is not considered a "SAAMI Grendel" because there is a change in the dimensions of the chamber. The throat however, has nothing to do with headspace and just dictates how far out a bullet may be loaded . There is a lot of heat and incorrect information being spread on the 65grendel.com forum bout how "the Grendel II isnt a SAAMI Grendel because it doesnt have the compound throat." This is wrong but i need an official email from a SAAMI board member to prove my point and have backing for it.

TGG