The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1
pck823

Beretta O/U

I've got a really nice Beretta Pointer II from Kevin's in Thomasville, GA and noticed after buying it that it only has one bead on the rib - on the muzzle end. I'm accustomed to also having a mid-rib bead and I'm finding that I'm constantly either over or under my targets (dove in this case).

I want to install a mid-rib bead....think this is something I can pull off at home? Worth having a gunsmith do it? Any recommendations for a smith in West Georgia? I'm kind of hinky about letting this gun out of my sight...it cost me dearly...

If I choose to do it myself, where should I be looking to get the bead (brass)? Thanks!!
Old September 15, 2010, 01:35 PM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

Have a smith do it...
Old September 15, 2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Sphawley

I'm not an expert, but I would have a smith do it. When you pay in that price range for a shotgun you might as well spend the money for a smith. Wouldn't want to mess your investment up.
Old September 15, 2010, 02:02 PM   #4
oneounceload

First things first - you should not be looking at the bead or you will miss your target. If you can't get the line of sight to be correct, it sounds like the stock does not fit you - therefore just adding a mid bead will not correct the problem.

Field guns like this typically come with one bead.

You might need to have the comb height or similar adjusted to get a better fit.

Kevin's is a first rate place - they should have someone who can help you with that, or at least recommend someone. (Hopefully, you went upstairs to the really cool gun library)
Old September 15, 2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Doyle

Larry Potterfield has a video on how to add a mid-bead. There is a little tool you use to make sure the hole is centered side-to-side on the rib. After that, it is a simple tap and die job.
Old September 15, 2010, 02:14 PM   #6
BigJimP

+1 on what OneOunce said ...

having someone install a mid-rib bead in my area is usually around $ 25 - and typically something you can have them do / and just wait for the gun if they're not too busy.
Old September 15, 2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Doyle

PCK823, are you from T'ville? Kevin's has nice guns but I can't imagine anybody from outside that area driving to them to buy. They tend to like their guns a little too much for my pocket book.
Old September 15, 2010, 02:47 PM   #8
zippy13

Installing a mid-rib bead isn't hard to do, but it's easy to mess up. Some rib designs are such that there's a longitudinal valley in the exact center. If yours is like that, you cloud try a temporary bead with just a dash of cement and a trimmed white-headed garment pin.
Old September 15, 2010, 06:48 PM   #9
pck823

Oneounce -

I think you're right about the drop...the gal that pulls at the skeet range made a similar observation. That said, I guess I'm sort of stuck unless I add some sort of cheek pad to decrease the drop. Actually thinking about a new stock - got some other issues with it that I'll start a new thread to discuss.

I think more than anything the mid-rib just serves as a gauge to determine drop (at least in my case).

I hunt down in that area every quail season and made a side trip to Kevin's and found a model that's exclusive to their shop (since they're a Beretta elite dealer). In hindsight, it was sort of an impulse purchase and I didn't buy it on the spot-thought about a day or two and ordered over the phone after the fact. Buyer's remorse? Yes...live and learn...
Old September 15, 2010, 07:12 PM   #10
oneounceload

There are stick-on pads that will raise the comb very cheaply - some nicer one are naugahyde or similar; otherwise, you can take moleskin or cheap foam and use something for a cover to make it work until you figure out how thick it needs to be - after that, you can get the measurement and always translate it into a permanent adjustable comb or butt plate

Good luck
Old September 16, 2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any shotgunner's Best Friend is the patterning board. A session will let you know what changes your gun needs,if any, instead of what you THINK it needs.

Mid beads(and there's a few here) are for when one premounts the gun as in trap to make sure the master eye is in the right place.

As for dove, Pop's advice still works. "Try to hit them in the beak".....