The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
spacecoast

.45 ACP full wadcutter - pics

I finally got around to loading and shooting the 225 grain full wadcutters I received from Penn Bullets (not a common bullet, took a while to get it). They shoot really nice from my S&W 625-3 pushed by 3.0 grains of Titegroup and an OAL of 0.99".

About 3% of the time these bullets bulge the case a bit mid-way down and need to be run through the Lee FCD to chamber properly.

I use these for Bullseye competition - 25 and 50 yards - they cut a beautiful huge hole, but I think they would also make an excellent defensive load with relatively mild recoil, heavy payload and a nice wide meplat. I haven't tried them in my Ruger semi-auto but it would interesting to see whether or not they feed consistently.

http://www.pennbullets.com/45/45225wcbb.html

Last edited by spacecoast; April 2, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old April 2, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Scharfschuetzer

Interesting. I've always wondered about a full wadcutter for my Model 1917. The 225 grain weight should also shoot close to the point of aim with the fixed sights on it.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old April 2, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3
drail

I'll bet those DO cut a mother beautiful hole in a target. I like the idea. I imagine a lot of 1911s will not want to feed them though. (I know, that can be fixed). I am also a HUGE fan of the 625 S&W because they are so accurate (at least mine is) and you can run just about any kind of load or bullet style you want through them. I bought one back in the 80s for pin shooting but found out it works for everything.