The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 10, 1999, 12:35 AM   #1
TMC

Any of you IPSC shooters know what the current trend is in open guns/compensators? 5,7,9,11 ports, hybrids, hybrid comps? whats hot these days. and what about sights? It looks like most are using C-More's though there is alot of print hype over the Optima 2000. Looked at a Holo-sight and its realy cool but seems few top shooters us it and its heavery than all the others. I'm planning on building an open gun but don't want to spend a ton of money on parts and have built a bran-spanking new outdated gun. Thanks for any input.
Old September 10, 1999, 08:18 AM   #2
motorep

The trend here seems to be 38 Super, hybrid comp/multiport comp combination, C-more.
Old September 10, 1999, 05:48 PM   #3
TaxPhd

TMC,

My open gun is on a Caspian hi-cap frame, Caspian slide, 3 port hybrid barrel, 6 port comp, C-more sight, built by Rusty Kidd of Kidd's Custom Shop in Atlanta.

This is a pretty much state of the art set-up. Rusty's newest gun, the Viper, totally redefines state of the art. It is a 6 or 7 port hybrid barrel, with a really small comp on the end, and an overall length only slightly longer than a 5" gun.

I have shot a fair number of open guns, from both well known gunsmiths and unknowns. The Viper beats them all, hands down.

I would avoid the Optima sight for now. Every one that I have used is very dim, particularly outdoors (even with the Arredondo battery pack). You don't see the top shooters using the Optima, and when money is on the line, there must be a reason. C-More is what is winning.

Rusty's work is really first rate. Exceptional accuracy, and the guns ALWAYS run!

Most open guns these days are being built on STI/SVI frames, but the Caspian is really nice, particularly if you like metal rather than plastic. Drawbacks to the Caspian, are that magazines can be difficult to locate and expensive, and the frame can feel really "clunky" in your hand unless it has been thinned by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck in your quest for a new open gun! If you need contact info for Rusty, let me know.

Oh, by the way, Rusty is the designer/manufacturer of the AFTEC "ACE" extractor. A superior part that should be in all 1911 pistols.

[This message has been edited by TaxPhd (edited September 10, 1999).]
Old September 10, 1999, 06:35 PM   #4
TMC

Thanks for your info. I have a Para lower complete with a S&A magwell and 4 mags. Its been sitting around for a while and I decided nows the time to finish it so that will be the base. I have a limited gun also on a Para so I'm used to the grip and mags. I have seen a Caspian catalog with a 4 port hybrid barrel, comp and slide package so after your input I'll probally go that way.