The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2008, 03:38 PM   #1
chris in va

Beginner reloader, what to look for?

I'm headed to Gander Mountain so I can get a feel for all this reloading stuff. It's getting to the point I can't afford ammo anymore and would like to make my own anyway.

Right now I just want something very inexpensive and simple so I can start understanding the basics. Lee has a package that looks interesting, but I'm guessing I'll need a LOT more than is pictured.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/anivers.html

Mainly I'd be reloading 38/357, 45acp and possibly 7.62x39. I have a couple 9mm but doubt it's worth loading those.

Can this be done for less than say...$160, or is that wishful thinking.

Also I'd be scrounging for brass at the range, some way to clean those up without blowing extra $$$?
Old February 18, 2008, 03:55 PM   #2
rwilson452

I don't know if you can do it for $160 but you should be under $200. your going to need loading blocks and calipers. as for cleaning cases you can do it the hard way with soap and water and then a long time drying them ( in the oven??)
a tumblers ain't all that much more, shop around for one. sooner or later your going to want it. the Lee 4 die set for pistol is a good way to go. what ever you get for pistol dies be sure the sizing die is carbide. I like Lee dies they can't be beat at the price you can get them at. Your a long way from competition dies at your skill level. with that press your going to want a bushing for each die. not absolutely necessary but that is the way it was designed. it saves you from having to set up the die each time you change dies. you will need a gauge for each bottle neck cartridge your loading you don't need one for straight walled pistol cases.
Old February 18, 2008, 03:55 PM   #3
DaveInPA

Getting everything you need for under 160 is gonna be tough. Especially when you factor in bullets, powder, primers, dies for each caliber you you want to reload, etc etc.

As far as cleaning scrounged brass, nothing is better than a tumbler and media. These can be had for $50-$60.
Old February 18, 2008, 03:56 PM   #4
DWARREN123

Die sets, Lee's are about $30 a set for pistol. Brass, primers, bullets and powder and do not not forget reloading manuals.
Old February 18, 2008, 03:57 PM   #5
shooter_john

You can get that Lee Kit much cheaper ( like less than $100) from Midway, Midsouth, etc., just do a few minutes of shopping. Add $12-$20 per die set (assuming Lee dies) and you can probably stay under your $160 mark. As far as your equipment goes, you'll WANT more, but won't necessarily NEED it right away. Good luck, your beginning an ADDICTIVE endeavor!
Old February 18, 2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Red_Eagle

You could get the Lee turret press kit from Graf & sons for $101. You'd still need a set of calipers, dies, case length guage/shell holder for the cutter lock stud, and some liquid case cleaner. You could wait a month or two for a tumbler. Not sure if all this comes up to less than $160, but it's less than $200.
Old February 18, 2008, 04:37 PM   #7
chris in va

Hmm. This is sounding like an expensive endeavour. I don't shoot that much, maybe twice a month. Even then it's mostly x39 and 22 with some 45 sprinkled in.

Maybe I'll pass.
Old February 18, 2008, 04:48 PM   #8
rwilson452

Rarely does anyone ever save money reloading. You shoot more. In your case you would shoot more 45. with perhaps some 22 sprinkled in. put another way you will amortize the cost of equipment in around 2000 rounds. at that point you want to shoot more so you buy a turret press so you can load faster. then you move up to a progressive press. then some one give you some dies they aren't using one set id\s for something you don't own. You find yourself investing in a gun that shoots that caliber.

Reloading is an addiction. It is an addiction you can't cure this side of the Great Divide.

Quote:
Hmm. This is sounding like an expensive endeavour. I don't shoot that much, maybe twice a month. Even then it's mostly x39 and 22 with some 45 sprinkled in.
Old February 18, 2008, 07:25 PM   #9
shooter_john

+1 to rwilson...

I find myself getting a set of dies at the thought of a new gun... Gives me that "might as well go ahead and get it" feeling when I get my hands on the gun. You will probably find yourself shooting more often with guns other than 22's. Buy in bulk when you can, especially when it's milsurp type stuff. I bought a couple of thousand 150gr .308 FMJ's a couple of years ago for about $60 (won't happen anymore at that price!), and the other day I was bored, so I went into my 'lair' and later emerged with 500 rds to feed my Garand with! I traded once fired range brass that I didn't need for the '06 brass which was already prepped, figure $5-$10 for the powder, $20ish for the bullets, and now I have 500 rds for less than $30!!! Getting it done THAT cheap will rarely ever happen, but if I wasn't reloading, it never would of.
First you start reloading, then you start noticing all of that brass laying around at the range, then you see that scrap brass is $2/ lb or can be traded for what you need, and so it goes!!!
Old February 18, 2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Tim R

Reloading isn't for every one. It does take time and a person HAS to be able to read then follow instuctions.

Reloading will save you money and once you find the magic load better shooting than factory to boot.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:37 PM   #11
rwilson452

I forgot to add then after a year or so "I just got to have a chronograph to find out what is happening with this load." The break point when you know your really hooked is when you go to the range to shoot so you have brass to try a new load. At that point your doomed.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:43 PM   #12
zxcvbob

Gander Mountain has gotten really expensive lately.

The best place to buy Lee equipment is fmreloading.com. There's also some good used equipment on eBay right now if you don't mind using a press that's 30 to 40 years old.

If you want a new press for loading the cartridges you mentioned, and you don't know if you're going to be serious about it or not, the Lee Reloader press might be a good one. They are even cheaper than a Hand Press, and if you decide to upgrade later, an extra single stage press always comes in handy.
Old February 18, 2008, 10:05 PM   #13
JayT

Chris in Va. Don't give up yet. If you're thrifty and start with one caliber, I expect you can get going for under that amount. Lee products will be the way to go if you're on a budget. I suggest starting with the .357/.38, as rimmed revolver cartridges are forgiving and don't need to be trimmed if kept under top power loads. You can probably get a kit with a scale, single stage press, set of dies, and a manual. Go ahead splurge on a Lee handpriming tool, it's worth it. Buy cast bullets, primers and a single versatile powder. Scrounge brass. If you use dippers, you can even skip buying a powder measure. I started reloading some years ago with a Lee hand press and the Lee .357 speed die. I forget what initial start up was, but I did save a lot off buying factory ammo. I agree with those who suggest shopping online may be more cost effective than GanderMt. In my experience, the latter doesn't stock much for the reloader.

JayT
Old February 19, 2008, 12:06 AM   #14
carprivershooter

New to reloading

I got a Lee press for X-mas. I pick it out, ordered it ,I got the press, 3 base plates 3 die sets 9mm, 40 SW and 45 acp deburrer, case trimmer, calapers for about $ 250. at Calabala,s . of course I needed to get the case measure for the trimmer, and them a 357 wheel gun and the dies for 38 special and 357. I then ordered 500 bullets in 9mm 40SW 45 ACP Rainer copper clad from natchazs. Does any one know of a 12 step program. I need help.
Old February 19, 2008, 01:32 AM   #15
winchester243

I'm with rwilson on this one, If you get hooked you will never, ever "save" money reloading.

It sure is fun though.
Old February 19, 2008, 01:57 AM   #16
ZeSpectre

the other reloading tip someone gave me...

Build STRONG shelves to hold the weight of all that ammo
Old February 19, 2008, 03:39 AM   #17
TexasSeaRay

Here is a HECKUVA deal for you, Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va

Maybe I'll pass.
Chris,

Did a little scrounging and looking for you. Check out this link below. For right at half your budget, you'll get a press, scales, powder measure, etc--pretty much everything you need to start except for dies, PLUS a hand-primer for both small AND large primers.

This kit just about has it all.

I'd recommend starting with your handgun loads first. You won't need calipers and trimming equipment for that. I've loaded a gazillion 38 Special and have yet to trim a single case. Same goes for 45 ACP. (Although I just noticed that the kit I supplied a link to DOES come with basic trimming equipment)

Now, I have done some trimming for the magnum loads, but that's another kettle for another day.

http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/m...oading+Presses

They key to getting started in reloading is to keep it simple and don't try to become an ammo factory with your first several purchases.

I'd HIGHLY recommend starting with 38 Special. It is incredibly forgiving, has no action the round must cycle (such as your 45), no feed issues (such as both your 45 and Russian .308), and you can get GOOD cast bullets in a variety of styles (WC, SWC, LRN, SWCHP) for a song.

Most .38 special loads I do use less than 4.5 grains of powder, with 4.1 - 4.3 being the average. My 148 gr WC loads only use 2.7 grains of Bulleye. Allowing for a little spillage, that's right at 2,400 rounds you can get from a single $15 pound of Bullseye!

I've been hearing good things about Magtech and Wolf primers, and that'll get you a thousand rounds for around twenty bucks.

As far as cleaning your brass, no sweat. Chances are good you'll meet or know someone who reloads and who has a tumbler. Buy yourself some cheap corncob or ground walnet shells at Petsmart for ten bucks (for ten pounds) and ask them to give your brass six to eight hours in their tumbler.

I know that I've cleaned a lot of brass for beginning reloaders back in my day.

It's doable, Chris. . . very doable. PM me with any questions.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 20, 2008, 04:16 AM   #18
chris in va

Wow, thanks guys, $80 for a basic kit is perfect!

BTW I looked at bullet prices for FMJ 45acp, and Gander Mountain wants the same price as WWB at WalMart! Something like $30/100. Ironically they were the same price as nice Gold Dot hollowpoint bullets. Go figure.
Old February 20, 2008, 08:43 AM   #19
NAVET

Chris
I would look at the Lee Breech Lock Press Kit. It only $10 more and allows you to set your dies in a collar and then remove the collar with the die still set. This would keep you from having to reset the dies as you load.
I don't reload, but I am saving my pennies and dimes and this is the kit I'm getting. I priced the kit, some books and 500 rounds of bullets and brass, 1000 primers and a few other things for $500.
Old February 20, 2008, 04:15 PM   #20
RNG

+1 what everyone else said. Just wanted to say that be sure to get the .38 dies. You can load .38 & .357 with those dies. If you buy the .357 dies you can't load .38's. Lee's 4 die carbide sets are inexpensive and work well. Plus you'll like the Factory Crimp Die. FWIW, it's worth it to load 9mm.

Richard