The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old December 15, 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
kcub

What can you hunt with a 9mm?

Handgun hunting by Nonte published in 1976

http://www.amazon.com/Handgun-huntin.../dp/0883170701

In it he mentions civil war soldiers making their way home had to feed themselves with a cap and ball .36. He goes on to say the 9mm and .38 Special are adequate for close broadside shots on deer. Of course ammo was lame then compared to what we have today. He touts SuperVel.

So what do you think? Survival situation only? Would anyone pass up a deer shot if we were lost and hadn't eaten in a week?

So what do you think is the upper limit and what have you taken with a 9?
Old December 15, 2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Ruger45LC

I haven't shot anything large with a 9mm, but I have read quite a few stories of people using their 9mm on deer. I have no reason to believe that with proper shot placement that the 9mm would be anything less than effective on deer. Keep in mind, as we all know it's not the ideal deer hunting tool, but utilized properly it will certainly work. The simple truth is that deer are not hard to kill at all, and I'm sure it would work on even larger animals as well.
Old December 15, 2013, 09:48 AM   #3
ritepath

My son surprised me with a request to go deer hunting when he was 6 three days before youth day. I didn't have anything youth sized, so we went out and bought a 410/22 combo. Only to find out there were no slugs to be found anywhere.
Leaving us the option of a BAR270 or a 308, neither even close to the weight and LOP a 6yo needs.

The only other option was my Sub 2000, so I took the reddot off my AR and installed on the 9. Sighted it in and let my son shoot it several times. I told him we had to have a deer within 25yds or we couldn't shoot. (+p PDX)

I managed to get him on a doe at 18-20 yards and he took an ok double lung shot. The deer traveled about 150 yards before expiring. It was basically like trailing a not so good a hit bow shot deer.

I picked him up a youth 7mm08 a few weeks later. The deer he took this season (third one with the 7mm08) went 10 yards.

While I wouldn't recommend shooting a deer sized animal with a 9mm it will work. You can always go for a neck shot, I've killed a few with a 22-250 with neck shots during doe season.
Old December 15, 2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
So what do you think? Survival situation only? Would anyone pass up a deer shot if we were lost and hadn't eaten in a week?
In a survival situation, you aren't going to pass up a shot at survival no matter if you have a 9mm, a .50 BMG or a 22lr.

Now... Would I hunt with a 9mm under normal situations? No, there are simply better options available. A 9mm will certainly kill a deer but I'd like something with a little more energy.
Old December 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #5
tipoc

So the consensus is that it's marginal on deer except at closer handgun range and with a well placed shot.

That leaves a whole lot of game animals that fly and walk and crawl that are smaller than a small deer that the 9mm with the right bullet can take.

Consider that the .22l.r., 22 Magnum, 32-20, 32 H&R Magnum, 38 Spl. and more are considered acceptable handgun hunting rounds for small game. The 9mm can take what game they take.

tipoc
Old December 15, 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Coach Z

Also consider that 9mm out of a rifle length barrel is going down range with a lot more energy then it leaves a pistol barrel with.
Old December 15, 2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Chad.C

A deer might be pushing the limits of 9mm but if you have good enough shot placement it's probably possible
Old December 15, 2013, 02:19 PM   #8
upstate81

If we are talking about survival situations a well placed 9 will drop a deer no prroblem. That is more of a woods skills issue than caliber question. If you know what your doing sure a 9mm can and will kill a white tail no problem. For the record my deer pistol is a contender in 7-30 waters.
Old December 15, 2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Mystro

I have a hunting handgun book with deer and goats being taken with the 9mm and 38 Super. Shot placement is everything.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 15, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Doyle

There is one animal tailor maide for a 9mm semi-auto rifle. That is the nutria. They live in the swams of the south - primarily LA. Those boys hunt them in a moving airboat and shoot as the animals swim/run across the water vegetation. Some use a shotgun and some use a .22 but I've heard of several people that swear a 9mm auto shooting FMJs is the perfect nutria killer.
Old December 15, 2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Deja vu

people often give me crap for using a 357 magnum carbine. If I tried with a 9mm I doubt I could ever step in my gun store again.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 15, 2013, 09:17 PM   #12
Ruger480

Quote:
I have a hunting handgun book with deer and goats being taken with the 9mm and 38 Super
What book? Is it worth a read?
Old December 15, 2013, 10:55 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
In it he mentions civil war soldiers making their way home had to feed themselves with a cap and ball .36. He goes on to say the 9mm and .38 Special are adequate for close broadside shots on deer. Of course ammo was lame then compared to what we have today. He touts SuperVel.

I don't currently hunt anywhere that allows 9mm for any kind of big game. But... when I lived in Florida, I occasionally left the Mauser at home and just took a .380 with me. At that time, in that location, it was legal. I never got a chance to take one with the .380, but I never felt undergunned against those scrawny little Coastal Whitetails.
Old December 16, 2013, 07:37 AM   #14
TimSr

I'll never understand why the debate keeps coming up about what is the most marginal underpowered round with which to hunt deer with anticdotes offered as proof about how you can "jump on its back and stick a .25 acp in its eye you can kill a deer with it or if you wait until he raises his head up and back and you shoot directly up his nostril into the brain you can kill him with a .22" follwed by "shot placement is everything."

If you have to ask, its probably too small. Unless you have repeatedly taken deer with more suitable guns, and its just become too doggone easy, why handicap yourself or increase the risk of an inhumane kill or a wounded animal?

Use the right tool for the right job. Sloppy kills give the sport a bad image.
Old December 16, 2013, 08:11 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
So what do you think? Survival situation only?
Survival yes that would be the only justifiable reason for such behavior in this State. (purposely killing of game out of season)

Quote:
Would anyone pass up a deer shot if we were lost and hadn't eaten in a week?
Nutrition factor. Sure I would shoot. Who wouldn't.

Quote:
So what do you think is the upper limit and what have you taken with a 9?
I'll answer your question this way. IMO Lost and afield. Any adult bear period. Nope I wouldn't try to kill one with a 9mm pistol. {In a weaken state I just may end up being his/her lunch instead of He or she being mine.} But near everything else game wise I have indeed taken with my 9mm at one time or another. (In this States offerings.)

Interesting questions kcub.
Old December 16, 2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Bezoar

very little legally.
Old December 16, 2013, 08:23 PM   #17
L_Killkenny

I'm not gonna touch on so-called survival but IMO the 9mm and the .38sp make fine hunting rounds for coyote to bunnies and everything in between. Cartridges like them are the reason the .22m is such a non starter. Deer? Not on a bet.
Old December 18, 2013, 05:33 AM   #18
Snyper

A 9mm would be illegal to hunt with here
For deer it has to be .357 or bigger, and for small game it has to be a .22 LR
If I were hungry enough I'd try a deer with a 9mm, but only if it's all I had
Old December 19, 2013, 02:34 PM   #19
Gunplummer

I have not read the WV regulation book lately, but two years ago it was "....some kind of centerfire rifle or a rimfire of .25 caliber or larger....". This was for deer.
Old December 19, 2013, 04:36 PM   #20
tahunua001

would I pass up a deer with a 9mm?

here's your answer.
Old December 19, 2013, 04:39 PM   #21
fdf

"In it he mentions civil war soldiers making their way home had to feed themselves with a cap and ball .36. He goes on to say the 9mm and .38 Special are adequate for close broadside shots on deer. Of course ammo was lame then compared to what we have today. He touts SuperVel.

So what do you think is the upper limit and what have you taken with a 9?"

In all honesty how many folks are hobbling home from the Civil War and trying to feed themselves today?

In all honesty, how may folks are going into a "survival situation" with a 9MM in today's time frame?

With cell phones, satellite phones, GPS, how many folks are going to be lost for a week?

The 9mm might be good for shooting yourself for being stupid.
Old December 19, 2013, 05:03 PM   #22
tahunua001

FDF in all honesty how many people can not afford GPS and live in regions that still have spotty cell coverage and the only handgun they own is a 9mm? there are a heck of a lot. here in Idaho unless you are in a relatively populated area and have verizon as a carrier then you do not have cell coverage, period. I've gotten turned around horribly while out in these woods but have always been with other people who could help me navigate. I regularly carry a 45 for bear protection but I always loan out my 9mm to hunting partners who don't have a sidearm. I laugh at the fact that you would even mention satellite phones. who in the world that makes less than $50,000 a year owns a satellite phone? nobody, the are too cost prohibitive.

if we were to get separated in a blizzard out in these woods then I could easily see a person getting lost for several days and that 9mm would be a major lifeline.
Old December 20, 2013, 11:54 AM   #23
Gunplummer

Good idea about being with other people. Remember the Donner Party?
Old December 20, 2013, 01:10 PM   #24
Wyosmith

I have killed many deer and a few antelope, elk and black bears with handguns. I find that with correct bullets, the bigger magnums work about as well as some hunting rifles on what we'd think of as the "lower end" of the power scale. The 454 Casull works so well it's about like rifles in the "upper mid range".

The 45 auto is nearly identical to a good broad head when hunting with a bow. I have never killed anything bigger than a coyote with a 9mm or a 38 special, but from talking to a few friends of mine who did 30+ years each with state and federal Law Enforcement, their opinion is that the best of the 9mm ammo is about as good as hardball 45.

A few years ago I was carrying a 45 auto on a deer hunt in another state. I had loaded some Hornady XTP bullets and I was a bit curious as to how they would perform. I made a decision that if I got a chance to polish off a deer with one I would.
As it turned out I got a shot at an unwoulded buck 7 yards. I shot for the point of the shoulder but missed the joint by about 1”. The deer jumped and ran but only got about 35 or 40 yards away before piling up. I walked up on him from the back and I could see the buck was still struggling a bit so I fired another one into the mid body angling the bullet toward the front of the chest. That bullet didn’t seem to do much, but the dear lay still a few seconds later.
I waited about 2 minutes more and then checked its eyes. Open and non-responsive, so I started to gut it out. I was shocked when I removed two 230 grain FMJs. I had switched magazines and forgotten.

My opinion is that a good 9mm bullet would kill deer pretty well with careful shots, but I would not go out of my way to do it. Any gun is better than no gun, but some guns would be far more desirable for hunting deer than others.
Old December 28, 2013, 01:34 PM   #25
Bultaco

Where I live you would be shooting coyotes & smaller. I would not worry about a survival situation. In that case anything goes. I do know that with 125 gr. XTPs they make a heck of a jackrabbit load. A little messy for cottontails. Not much left to eat. I have thought about it for coyote calling but when you get one close enough for the pistol they react real fast. The shotgun gets the fur home in those situations.
Closed Thread