The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 21, 2010, 03:53 PM   #26
TylerD45ACP

Agreed. I say I would keep going but you never know. Thats the mindset I would have but so many factors are at play. Who knows until it happens?
Old August 22, 2010, 12:42 PM   #27
fastbolt

Force Under Pressure: How Cops Live and Why They Die, by Lawrence N. Blum, Ph.D., police psychologist, might be a book which would interest you.

Dr Blum offers a LE seminar called I'm Shot in which he not only discusses situations where cops were seriously injured and survived shooting situations, but he invites such cops to be guest speakers at his seminar. Although the seminars are LE-only type events, his book contains related interesting material covered in the seminar.

You might consider looking for the book in paper or e-book format online if this subject interests you. I've attended his seminar a couple of times and have listened to several of his guest speakers who have survived serious, life-threatening injuries during such situations.
Old August 24, 2010, 10:48 PM   #28
USAF_Vet

I never got shot in Iraq, but I was involved in a firefight after suffering a broken tailbone, 5 blown discs in my spine and a mild concussion. The adrenaline rush got me through the fight, but once all was over I could barely move.
Old August 24, 2010, 11:46 PM   #29
Big Bill

My cousin was target practicing with some buddies and caught a ricochet 22 bullet in the calf of his leg. He was about seventeen YO. He described to me how much it hurt (burning sensation); and, he couldn’t walk on that leg for several weeks. It was a real mess.

So, I learned from his experience that a 22 bullet can do lots of damage. He was out of commission instantly and for a long time didn't have any desire to go shooting again.
Old August 25, 2010, 07:27 AM   #30
PoorSoulInJersey

Some lecture that I heard (maybe a podcast?) had the best advice for mindset that I've heard:
If you are alive enough to know that you've been shot, then you are also alive enough to keep fighting.
Old August 25, 2010, 12:16 PM   #31
TylerD45ACP

^+1000 That is exactly my view on the subject. I will not stop fighting until physically incapable of it. That is my mindset, however I cannot say what I would do since I have never been in a SD situation. I will keep my mindset though.