The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
dlb435

,223 REM on a progressive press

OK, I can load .223 REM on my press, a Dillon 550.
First I tried the recommended set up. Lubed the cases and ran them through the press. The ammo came out fine but I had to clean the case lube off the ammo and the press when I was done. Kind of messy and took too long.
Next I used the press as a single stage to re-size the brass only. Then cleaned up the brass and ran it through. Much better as far as the case lube problem goes and much easier to feal all of the other stages in the press.
I now have a single stage press to de-cap and re-size. Then I can run my clean, re-sized brass through the press.
What is your approach to using a progressive press for rifle rounds?
Old April 1, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
kraigwy

I have been loading 223s (as well as other rounds) on my Dillion RL 1000 since 78-79, or there abouts. I had a reloading business.

After wearing out a couple sizing dies, I went to a carbide sizer. Still had to lube cases but the die didnt wear out.

Any I have a 8lb powder can that I put a piece of carpet in to lube brass by tumbling it. Its good for gettting the cases completely lubed yet not overly so.

I have a rather large slow tumbler, A drum about 15 X 28 inches for tumbling brass. I put the loaded rounds in the tumbler to clean. Never had a problem.

The RL has a built in pocket swedger for mil cases. It also has a slide bar instead of a cylender type powder measure which I find is more consistant.

I still use the same RL 1000, it still works great, makes come pretty consistant, accurate ammo.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 1, 2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The main trick is not overdoing the lube. You could also try using Lee's water base white lube and letting it dry before using it. Not as easy or smooth, but workable. Their lube can also be diluted in distilled water and sprayed on.

Another approach, which I have yet to try, is treating a steel die with a permanent lube. Shooter's Solutions Moly Fusion treatment has been reported in the maker's posted testimonials as replacing the need to lubricate cases. I have used this product successfully in a number of applications, but having stuck a number of cases in the past, I have been chicken about trying this. You would probably have to renew the surface treatment from time to time, but if it works it would be a great solution for progressive machines especially, and obviously a great time saver. The process produces a faintly waxy looking surface on the metal that has very low friction.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 1, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
I have a rather large slow tumbler, A drum about 15 X 28 inches for tumbling brass. I put the loaded rounds in the tumbler to clean. Never had a problem.
Same here.

For .223 on my dillon 650, IF the shells are all under max. length, they get spray lubed with either RCBS case-slick or FA spray lube. Then they get run through the entire process. Since I don't crimp, the length can vary, as long as they're not too long. To get the lube off, I tumble them in a vibratory tumbler, in new corn cob media. 15 - 20 minutes is all it takes. I don't notice any mess on my machine.

This requires a sorting step, prior to loading. Checking each case for excessive length, setting them aside to be trimmed. You can also sort headstamps at the same time. These are for my blasting ammo. If I load match ammo, each case is trimmed to minimum, lubed, then run through the process. Different powder, match bullets.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 1, 2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Shoney

After I discovered Imperial Sizing Die Wax in the mid 90's, I loaded semi-auto rifle cases using only ball powders in full progressive mode on a 550. Now it's all done on the LNL AP. There is minimal clean up of the dies. The cartridges are tumbled afterwards.

I also load bolt cartridges in full progressive mode on the LNL with extruded powder, but I weigh each charge by virtue of the easy removal and reinsertion of the case after the powder station.

I had a very quiet and efficient auto-lubing auto-case loader to help production. However the noise became unbearable once she turned 16. Dad can I start driving now? Dad why can't I sleep over at..... Dad I need a bigger allowance if you expect slave labor.... Dad.........
Like finger nails on a chalk board.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; April 1, 2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:14 AM   #6
dlb435

Thank you for the input......looks like I'll be getting some corn cob media.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:24 AM   #7
jmorris

Quote:
What is your approach to using a progressive press for rifle rounds?
1. Tumble to clean

2. Anneal
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...=nottoohot.flv

3. Size/deprime and trim on a 650
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...al/trimmer.jpg

4. load on a 1050
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...rrent=1050.flv

5. Tumble to remove lube
Old April 2, 2009, 09:34 AM   #8
vranasaurus

I tumble my loaded cartridges for a short period to remove the lube. It doesn't take very long at all. 5 minutes and the lube is usually gone.
Old April 2, 2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Alleykat

I use the RCBS X die for .223 loading on my 650. After the initial trim, I just spray lube the cases and dump them into the casefeeder. Just got through loading a batch of about 500. Like others, I tumble the loaded rounds for a few minutes to remove the lube.
Old April 3, 2009, 02:04 AM   #10
totalloser

This is what I do. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ve+single+pass Might be worth a chuckle, if nothing else. It's pretty danged fast.