The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2005, 10:28 AM   #1
6shooter

Shot loads for .45colt

I load shot loads for my .45colt using the CCI capsules and using 3/8'' plastic pipe for snakes and such. I was wondering what anyone else is doing when loading shot rounds for handguns such as powder charges, shot types,.....etc.
Old May 26, 2005, 03:38 PM   #2
Russ5924

What is the plastic pipe for???????
Old May 26, 2005, 06:57 PM   #3
beenthere

Handgun shot shells

Haven't done it for a while but here's how I've done it in the past. I don't recommend this method or loading for anyone else and with all reloading operations should be approached with caution. I only did it with 45ACP out of a 1917 S&W, but it worked for me.

Measured a medium load of Unique into a case. Seat a cardboard wad (cut with a sharpened case mouth) with a dowel gently to the powder (don't compress). Fill with shot (I always had #9 available but would like to try #11). Seat an inverted gas check at the case mouth and crimp lightly to retain the gas check.

This method doesn't provide much protection for the shell from moisture etc. but worked well for shells shot wiithin 6 months or so. That gas check does make one good sized hole in an object at short range. If it works for you it sure is a lot cheaper than shot capsules.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old May 27, 2005, 03:24 AM   #4
mtnboomer

Mike Venturino had a story about just this subject in the last issue of Handloader magazine.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old May 27, 2005, 03:39 PM   #5
6shooter

Who is Mike Ventrinno? I would of liked to read that article. Thanks for the load with the gas check. I may try that.
The 3/8'' pipe is what I use when I have no capsules. I cut it down to size and fill with shot.
Old May 28, 2005, 12:58 AM   #6
mtnboomer

Mike Venturino is a gun writer that specializes in black powder firearms as well as Colt SAA and older DA revolvers. I have read his articles for years and enjoy them.

The story about the shotshells is in Handloader #234, April 2005, and is called Making and Testing Handgun Shotshells. It talks about shells made with gas checks and with shot capsules.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old June 4, 2005, 02:18 PM   #7
TomF

There's also a good article: Shotshells for Revolvers by Kirk Paradise in Handguns 2001 - 13th Edition (Krause Publications)...pages 62-71.

According to the article, the author uses .444 Marlin cartridges for the .45 Colt shotshells. Much like the .45 ACP shotshell that has alot more articles written about it, the parent brass is cut down to approx the loaded overall length of the "standard" cartridge (so you can stuff in alot more powder and shot than just using a .45 Colt cartridge). I haven't re-read the article, so I don't recall if the rim thickness and diameter are close enough "as-is" with the .444 Marlin, or if you have to do some trimming/thinning on that end....the photo caption states "the .45 Colt shotshell also fit without alteration"...so I guess it's close enough (at least for the author of the article)! He also uses Winchester AA .410-bore wads, so bore leading is minimized. He uses GE Silicon Seal to hold in the shot. I'm not sure why he didn't use a gas check and crimp it on (like they do for the .45 ACP shotshells).

...although it's a pain to cut down brass, and .444 Marlin brass isn't usually found at the range for us range rats (but neither is .45 Colt), the wads are another additional cost, trimming the wads is another step...but in the end, you'd have quite a shotshell cartridge....
Old June 4, 2005, 06:34 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

ooh! ooh!

In oneamy Speer manuals (#13?) it has a section on loading shot capsules.........
Old June 4, 2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Edward429451

I have the RCBS setup & trim down/reform 308-30/06 brass for use in the 45acp. A 410 wad goes over the powder and then trimmed flush with the case mouth. 62g of #9 shot, capped with a single 53g 00 Buck & crimped. (115g total). The charge is 6.2 to 6.3g of WW-231. It throws a rabbit size pattern with the buck nicely centered at about 20 ft or so.

Headspace & powder charge are critical, but once ironed out, they work good and cycle & feed from the Colt fine. Glocks have a harder time with them.

(How bout wax or fingernail polish to seal the 45Colt gaschecked shotloads?)