The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 5, 2000, 11:34 AM   #1
Hayden

Can someone give me some reason why I should choose the 26in versus 28in barrel versions of this shotgun? Primary considerations are home defense and fun(clay).
One more my local Kmart has one for $239 and my local gun shop has one for $319 (yes I know the bit about helping the little gun store out) but this is a big price difference, has anybody actually bought a gun from Kmart, Walmart etc any problems with after sale service?
Thanks all
Old May 5, 2000, 02:00 PM   #2
Shok

Shorter barrel is nice for HD and stomping through the woods. My latest gun is a Winchester 1300 and I can't detect much difference in performance from 870s with 28" barrel. I can only tell a difference in the shooter.

Shok
Old May 6, 2000, 07:28 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Personal choice, no big advantage either way.

I built my bird 870 from parts,including a bbl I had shortened to 21" and redone for tubes. I shoot sporting clays about as well with it as with anything else.Overall length and sight radius is about that of a 28" bbled O/U or SXS. This could make an awesome HD gun also, but I've a dedicated 870 for that with an 18" bbl.

All things being equal, I'd expect the longer bbl to give a steadier swing for clays.Balance is the key.
Old May 6, 2000, 02:52 PM   #4
Bam Bam

I think that one for $319 might be the Express Super Magnum that takes the 3.5" shells as well as the 2.75" and 3".

Clay shooters seem to like the longer barrels. I've seen posts elsewhere, guys who have 30" barrels are switching to guns with 32" barrels. The extra weight seems to help the swing.

[This message has been edited by Bam Bam (edited May 06, 2000).]
Old May 6, 2000, 08:56 PM   #5
Hayden

thanks all
I wish I had a bit more money to spend but I dont at the moment.
I guess the $319 shotgun might be worth the extra dollars.
Anybody have a preference between wood versus synthetic stocks? I have always liked wood but the wood on the express seems a bit cheap.
regards
Old May 8, 2000, 06:49 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Wood works fine. Synthetic stocks may be stronger and lighter, but wood's strong enough and weight in a shotgun isn't a bad thing, within reason.

A field gun should weigh less than 7 1/2 lbs for an upland gun, maybe 8 for a waterfowl gun,and under 10 for a tricked and tweaked HD/WIHTF weapon.
Old May 8, 2000, 10:26 AM   #7
HukeOKC

Well I have heard way too many good things about an 870 to knock it. I have the express magnum and it will take 2 3/4 or 3 in but not the 3 1/2. So I would say go with the Super Magnum. I got mine for my birthday from my Dad when I was 16 with a wood stock and I have used it quite a bit. The stock is fine and doesn't seem cheap to me at all. I also work a second PT job at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section. I don't know everything about guns and ammo but I know enough to cover the questions that come in regarding guns. I knew this prior to going to that department and the store does not train a person on any specific gun related questions. They only cover the basics. So as far as after sale service you'd probably get better advise for some things from a gunshop. As far as the service to the gun, take it back into the store and they will send it back to the manufacturer for all services.

------------------
Until the antis put a sign in their front yard that says they don't own guns, they are riding on the shirt-tail of the safety that we provide by owning them.
Old May 8, 2000, 04:28 PM   #8
cjb

I like a short barrel. I even have a 24" barrel on my sporting clays gun. I know...I'm backwards! Synthetic or wood dosen't really matter unless you MUST have one or the other. I have, and use both. That 3 1/2" gun really works!!! but I have rolled just as many turkeys with a 2 3/4" or 3" gun. As far as service goes..... It dosen't really matter where you buy it.... if it has a problem...it will still end up at the factory. Unless your local gunshop has an in-house gunsmith..which ours does, but most don't.
CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "
Old May 8, 2000, 11:10 PM   #9
Hayden

Thanks again appreciate the replies,
I have pretty much made up my mind on a 870 Express(synthetic,28in barrel)
Wal-mart wins at $255
I found a nice older guy in my walmart who sold me. It is nice to see some people who take pride in there work and a few people that work around firearms are also firearms supporters.
regards
Hayden
Old May 9, 2000, 04:34 PM   #10
dongun

I have an 870 Express with the synthetic stock and 28" barrel. I love it. However, be warned that the synthetic stock is not designed to take a sling mount in the butt stock. If you put one in, it will void the warranty on the stock. I tromp through the woods with mine quite a bit and was disappointed that it wouldn't take a conventional sling. I use one that lassoes the stock right behind the trigger guard.
Old May 9, 2000, 07:44 PM   #11
Hayden

Yeah I wondered about putting a sling on a synthetic stock. I was told awhile back it was a difficult chore and sometimes not to successful. I doubt I really would use a sling to much but would be interested to hear some feedback from those who have done it successfully.
regards
Hayden
Old May 10, 2000, 10:13 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most of my experience was/is with wooden stocks,but any decent smith should be able to mount a stud in a synthetic stock w/o grief.

I'm still a little perplexed about folks' love affair with synthetic stocks. They make sense on rifles with long distance missions, but shotguns don't shift zero under changes in humidity enough to need a more stable material. Must be looks...
Old May 10, 2000, 10:41 AM   #13
Hayden

It's looks Dave,

I just think the wood on the 870 Express is really nasty. I could probably get one strip it down and finish the wood myself but for the cost of the gun is it really worth it?
I intend on buying more attractive looking guns when I have the extra $$$ and when significant other will let me
regards
Hayden
Old May 10, 2000, 11:43 AM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OK, Hayden.Wood on mine ranges from excellent to butt ugly. One has been painted flat black. Not to simulate synthetic, but to hide bad wood and worse condition, that stock came from a tower at the Md Pen.