The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
trubski

Advice: Win 1300 Defender Modifications

I have a 12 ga. 1300 Defender - 18" barrel, 7 round mag - and I love the gun. I bought it in November, have been doing a lot of shooting with it and am very happy with it. It's fast, fun to shoot, easy to maneuver, well balanced ...

However, Winchester does not make (and now probably never will) interchangeable barrels for it. According to a previous thread, there may (or may not) be an adapter which would allow the use of standard 1300 barrels, but I've looked all over and can't find that adapter anywhere.

So, here's my question: I am considering have it threaded for choke tubes, adding rifle sights (I am left eye dominant and have real trouble with a bead) and putting strap swivels on it. It seems to me that those mods would make it an incredibly versatile gun - everything from HD to small game to deer to wing shooting - even trap/skeet.

Sure it would trash the collector's value, but ... I didn't buy it for that in the first place. Anyone have thoughts? Are these dumb ideas?

Thanks!
Old February 5, 2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

I'm not "up" on the mechanics and barrel interchangeability of Winchester shotguns.

I'm sure new and used Defender barrels can be found without too much trouble, so you could just buy a different barrel to have altered.

As an example, Brownell's sell NEW Model 1300 barrels.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sch...el+120%2f1300+

However, Winchester made MANY tens of thousands of Defenders, so there won't be any collector's interest in a used model for a LOOONG time.
Old February 5, 2006, 02:30 PM   #3
ShelbyV8

Make the mods you want for HD. Instead of the chokes or spare barrel Academy sells the Mosberg Maverick 88 for $137.47 with a 28" vent rib and changable chokes.
Old February 5, 2006, 03:29 PM   #4
trubski

Actually the problem with the Defender (as far as interchangability goes) isn't the barrel itself but the extended mag. I called Winchester in Utah about two weeks ago and they basically said they were aware of customer interest but no, there were no available barrels unless someone destroyed their gun.

Thanks!
Old February 5, 2006, 03:30 PM   #5
joneb

I have a Win. 1300 defender, then I found a full rifled barrel at a pawn shop for $50. The rifled barrel was from a mod. 1300 ranger ( I think ) well any way I did'nt know if I could make it work, if not I could return it. The challenge was to fabricate a spacer, which I did. It works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg invoice-Feb06win 1300 002.jpg (127.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg invoice-Feb06win 1300 003.jpg (145.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg invoice-Feb06win 1300 004.jpg (150.8 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by joneb; February 5, 2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old February 5, 2006, 03:47 PM   #6
trubski

JibJab -

Mind if I ask how you made that? I am not a gunsmith, but that does look like it would solve the problem! Maybe you should mass produce them - the woman I spoke to at Winchester said they had gotten a lot of calls from Defender owners looking for different barrels.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:22 PM   #7
joneb

I used a 5& 3/8" piece of steel pipe with a I.D. of 1" turned it down on a metal lathe, welded on a barrel support which gave me the surface area needed to install a spring and ball bearing to mate with the cap nut. I notched the other end of the pipe to mate with the bearing on the barrel lug ring. I did not feel heat treating the spacer was necessary.