The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 30, 2001, 11:47 AM   #1
Timothy

45ACP-dirty brass

I'm shooting a new Kimber Compact SS. Works great but I have blow-back consistantly at the same place on the spent brass from the mouth to the rim. Also, the chamber, inside of the slide, and a corresponding area on the mag. are covered with residue. Every other area is extremely clean and shinny. It's not so much that I mind the dirt but rather the fact that it is always at the same place that makes me wonder why. Seems like the mouth of the brass is not sealing against the chamber evenly. Tried different powder, bullets, and loads...........no difference. Sent it back to Kimber and they say there is nothing wrong. Ever hear of this? Got any ideas?

Really appreciate your input.
Old August 30, 2001, 12:39 PM   #2
Edward429451

I get that fouling here and there. I ignore it and clean the guns and brass. As long as no pressure signs, and you hit your target, you're good to go. Some gun powders are worse than others about it.
Old August 30, 2001, 01:40 PM   #3
JiminCA

This usually happens with light loads. Not enough pressure to expand the case against the chamber.

If not maybe your chamber is irregular (out of round), or has a gouge/low spot of some sort. Given that it happens in the same place every time that may be the case.

Doesn't sound like a real showstopper problem to me. Why don't you call Kimber and inquire? Maybe they had a bad batch of barrels or something.