The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Texas Southpaw

RCBS pardner kit opinions?

Hey guys, I saw a RCBS pardner kit ( RCBS #87469) at my local big box store on clearance for $140. I'm new to reloading and was wondering if it was worth picking up? I know I need dies, powder, etc but I was wondering if that's a reasonable price for that kit. I shoot approximately 2 times a month and would only be reloading for .308 maybe 500 rounds a year maximum. Thoughts? Thanks
Old December 23, 2015, 10:15 PM   #2
condor bravo

With the Partner kit you are lacking, I believe, a powder measure, meaning you would be weighing each charge but maybe that would be your preference anyway. There's always that argument between weighing and measuring. Does weighing make that much difference in overall accuracy? No doubt most will say yes it does. But back to a kit and considering an RCBS, probably many would prefer you to upgrade to something like the Rock Chucker Supreme but of course that more than doubles the price of the Partner kit. But I'm not aware if the Rock Chucker press is that much of an advantage over the Partner press except that my guess is that the Partner press comes with an aluminum frame while the Rock Chucker is the heavier and more preferable cast iron, giving the appearance of being more solid. I would select the Rock Chucker. It also seems that the Partner press has 3.75" ram clearance while the Rock Chucker has a better 4.0" clearance. But the Partner kit will get you going and at the right price. And of course there are other kits out there as others will suggest.

Last edited by condor bravo; December 23, 2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old December 23, 2015, 10:29 PM   #3
4runnerman

That was the kit i started with. I still have it, actually after many years it broke. I had a match that weekend and could not wait for RCBS to send me a free replacement, so I got the Rock Chucker to.
Old December 23, 2015, 11:38 PM   #4
Texas Southpaw

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. Buying gifts for everyone I know so I thought I might get one myself. I'll keep searching yard and estate sales for something more substantial. The store had 4 kits so I don't think they will sell out anytime soon, might pick it up in a while if it's all I can get.
Old December 24, 2015, 01:02 AM   #5
rg1

I know some use the RCBS Partner press but I had one and do not recommend it. It's a light duty cast aluminum press. While it will reload both rifle and pistol it doesn't have the feel and smoothness of a larger press such as the Rock Chucker and others. After having used a RCBS Big Max and Rock Chucker when I added the Partner it felt like a toy.
Old December 24, 2015, 06:57 AM   #6
F. Guffey

I have one, and that is about it. I do not use it. There are many task the Partner will handle, problem; I do not know which task the Partner will not (handle). I know it will not size a 300 Win Mag case that has been fired from an ugly chamber.

F. Guffey
Old December 24, 2015, 10:19 AM   #7
condor bravo

I guess we are all saying to try to stretch your budget if you can. Always best to go with the better tool. Avoid the light weight aluminum frame presses. Even loading the .308s, especially with military brass should you be using it, would be much more preferable with a heavier press. The 3.75" ram clearance with the Partner is OK but later you may be wanting to jump to a longer mag cartridge, better suited to the 4.0" clearance. Note that two common items are missing from kits, a case neck trimming tool and a swager or reamer for removing primer pocket crimps from military brass.

Last edited by condor bravo; December 24, 2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old December 24, 2015, 04:46 PM   #8
Texas Southpaw

Thanks again for all the help. I'm new to the world of handloading so I appreciate any info. I've got enough store bought rounds to last me for a while so no real rush. I agree Condor & rg1, I would probably end up buying something more substantial in a year or so and leave the pardner to collect dust. Buy once, cry once. Or more likely buy once, get addicted to it and continually buy related items for years haha.
Old December 24, 2015, 09:49 PM   #9
4runnerman

Condor- What can't you load with a partner press?. Other then 50 cal. I loaded 30-06 and 270 with mine for years. The cast frame did eventually break, but that was after many years of selling brass. I bet that thing did well over 500,000 rounds before it broke. The only reason I jumped to a Rock chcker was because the day it broke I had a match that weekend and could not wait for RCBS to send me a new one ( which they did for free). RCBS Warranty is second to none.
I never had a problem sizing military 223 or 308 brass.
I still stay with a single stage press. The only thing it does is size and seat. all other steps are done by hand at the Kitchen table. I load for 9 rifles and one pistol.
Old December 25, 2015, 02:20 AM   #10
condor bravo

I have not used a Partner but my preference would not be a light weight aluminum press. I'll concede that they should be able to handle almost anything, otherwise they could hardly remain on the market. But as you and others have reported, they break, have resizing difficulties, or feel like toys. For single stage, I use two of the massive Herter's Model 3 presses so rarely have difficulty with anything. The only problem has been with the four Rem Ultra Mag calibers. With the .300 in particular, probably due to an under sized sizer die, almost stuck a case. But with a rare stroke of genius, or just plain luck, was able to extract the case without ripping off the rim. Otherwise all larger mag cases size and extract like a breeze. If only still available, everyone should have a Herter's Model 3 press. But they are a bit much for just handgun loading.
Old December 27, 2015, 01:23 AM   #11
JDBark1952

People have been using those aluminum LEE loaders for years, this is a competitor to that and I bet it works as well.

My experience has been with RCBS Junior presses, they are work horses. Now have a PRO 2000 Kind of drank the green cool aid.
Old December 27, 2015, 01:33 AM   #12
Clark

I love Partner presses, but I hate kits.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 27, 2015, 11:22 AM   #13
emcon5

If you are going to get a Kit, I would consider the Rock Chucker version, Cabela's has it on sale right now for $269, with $5 shipping (see promo code in the fine print)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/rcbs-...it/1324071.uts

Plus there is a $50 rebate, If you get a set of RCBS dies to get it over $300, you get $50 back by mail.

The extra $120 gets you a better press, plus the powder measure and priming tool.

I ended up buying essentially this kit, piece by piece over the years, and paid quite a bit more for it.
Old December 27, 2015, 09:16 PM   #14
Bucksnort1

Texas Southpaw,

Consider this. If you get into loading larger rifle magnums, the Rock Chucker, like others have suggested, is beefier and may work better with these larger cases.

Lefties have their rights too.

Tags
pardner , rcbs